Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Pink Pusher Jet Build

Old 10-06-2007, 08:54 AM
diverdon

Hello All , Got the "Pusher" finished last nite exceptfor the electrics .. Motor ,etc . .. This building stuff is really quite the obsession.. I just finished an STC also and have plans to build a Vectored thrust and also the "Nasty" 3D Foamy , And , And , And There are so many..... It's an illness ... But I am sure havin fun with it and seem to be learning a little all the time . With the help from all of you people .. Thanks

Anyhow can this pusher be used with a 8 inch prop ? I see Chellie likes the cut down 7 inch prop . I am thinking (More Thrust) is better ??

Thanks again for your help , Don J.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pusher Jet.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	43458  
Old 10-06-2007, 09:35 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by diverdon View Post
Hello All , Got the "Pusher" finished last nite exceptfor the electrics .. Motor ,etc . .. This building stuff is really quite the obsession.. I just finished an STC also and have plans to build a Vectored thrust and also the "Nasty" 3D Foamy , And , And , And There are so many..... It's an illness ... But I am sure havin fun with it and seem to be learning a little all the time . With the help from all of you people .. Thanks

Anyhow can this pusher be used with a 8 inch prop ? I see Chellie likes the cut down 7 inch prop . I am thinking (More Thrust) is better ??

Hi Don Nice looking pusher jet if your using a 2408-21 Towerpro motor, just use a GWS 7x6 prop, no need to cut it down, and it will have all the thrust you need, I have been trying to get some video of my pusher jet, but the park has been full of people playing soccer and I dont want to take a chance of hitting anyone, just in case of a malfunction of the plane, so I will try again this weekend to get some video, take care, and keep up the great work, Chellie
Old 10-06-2007, 10:56 AM
diverdon

Question

Thanks Chellie , For the answer and all of the really cool help you've given everyone ... I wonder if you know how much of a legend you are .. I don't know if legend is a good word or not but you have surely helped a lot of people.

I was just thinking about that the other day as I ran across something else you had done for someone else ...I'm babbling here - it's late I just wanted to try to let you know how much I and plenty of others appreciate you . Thanks , Don
Old 10-06-2007, 09:49 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks Chellie , For the answer and all of the really cool help you've given everyone ... I wonder if you know how much of a legend you are .. I don't know if legend is a good word or not but you have surely helped a lot of people.

I was just thinking about that the other day as I ran across something else you had done for someone else ...I'm babbling here - it's late I just wanted to try to let you know how much I and plenty of others appreciate you . Thanks , Don
Hi Don I just enjoy Flying and making my own planes, and If I am able to help others, it just makes this hobby more fun, Take care, Chellie
Old 10-07-2007, 08:35 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Everyone I took the pusher jet out today for a test flight, and everything went very well,I did not have a camera person today, Darn, as the jet was flying great, it just needs more speed now, i would guess the speed was 45 to 50 mph, with a 2408-21 and a 7x6 gws prop, with a 3 cell 1200mah lipo, Sooooooo I ordered a 2409-18 towerpro motor for it, with a 8x8 apc thin prop More Power, More Speed the 2409-18 will turn a 11x7 prop, it should have no trouble with a 8x8 prop, I Hope I will give the 2409-18 motor a try, a lot of people say that this is the best of the TowerPro bell motors, so i cant go wrong with it, I will try to get some video very soon, the 2409-18 has a kv of 1000 ,Soooo lets see 11.1v x1000kv=11100rpm x 8 pitch prop = 84.09 mph -20% drag, = 67.272mph Soooo hopefully i will get about 70mph from it, take care, Chellie

http://www.pgam.ca/airspeed.htm

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4711

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHAP0&P=7
Old 10-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Hi Chellie,
Glad you had such a good flight. 70 mph....whoa..look out. Thats pretty fast.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:07 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Hi Chellie,
Glad you had such a good flight. 70 mph....whoa..look out. Thats pretty fast.
Hi Bruce Thats what I am hopeing for 70 mph with a small jet like this, looks like mach 1.5 I ordered the motor, so it should be here in about a week, same with the prop, I think it should be fun, Take care and have a great weekend, Chellie
Old 10-07-2007, 12:12 PM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Thumbs up

how much to make me one i just don't have time to build right now
Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Your jet looks like its coming along real well.. Good for you.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dmmalish View Post
how much to make me one i just don't have time to build right now
Hi sent you a PM, take care, Chellie
Old 10-07-2007, 08:02 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Your jet looks like its coming along real well.. Good for you.
Good morning Bruce Thank You, its fun to fly, and barrel rolls like crazy Now i need more power and more speed thats my best Tim the tool man impersonation its does about 45 to 50 mph right now with a 2408-21 TP motor and a 7x6 prop, but i would like to see about 70 mph, Soooo it will get a 2409-18 TP motor and a 8x8 prop, the 2408-21 wont turn a 8x8 prop, but a 2409-18 will its on order that should be fun, take care, Chellie
Old 10-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Hey Chellie,
Nice to hear from you. In our Delta club, I've thought about a twin engined delta. But i do have enough challenges handling my single engined one.
I think I would follow your build thread and see if I could build one. I'll do my reports in the club thread I guess..
Old 10-07-2007, 08:20 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hey Chellie,
Nice to hear from you. In our Delta club, I've thought about a twin engined delta. But i do have enough challenges handling my single engined one.
I think I would follow your build thread and see if I could build one. I'll do my reports in the club thread I guess..
Hi Bruce I will be building a cessna 337 skymaster very soon, thats a twin inline motor plane, its easy to fly, because the motors are inline, Take care, Chellie

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Old 10-08-2007, 05:01 AM
proffcharlie

Hey Chellie,
I've been following you on this thread and again I am impressed with your creations. You talked about going to the 2409-18 motor for more speed and power. Looking at the Tower Pro web site spec sheet on these series of motors I see the 2409-12 delta indicates a 1600 Kv rating with an operating current of 23 Amps. All of the motors in the series show 10 volts input. The suggested prop for both the 12T and 18T is shown as 8x4, 8x5 for the "bell" motors and 8x3.8, 8x6 for the "can" Drum motors. I'm not as good with this stuff as you and Dr Kiwi are but wouldn't the 2409-12T Delta result in even more speed and power than the 2409-18T Delta? Note that I'm talking about the Delta terminated and not the Star terminated motors.
On a different note I saw where you are a Mechanical Technician. This just keeps getting more amazing. Before changing careers I worked for 13 years as an Auto Technician in a Dealership and another 14 years in service Management in the same dealership. If the next thing you tell me is that you were born on Jan 26th., I'm going to FREAK. We already talked about being from about the same Generation so this is just getting a little strange.

Charlie
Old 10-08-2007, 10:34 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by proffcharlie View Post
Hey Chellie,
I've been following you on this thread and again I am impressed with your creations. You talked about going to the 2409-18 motor for more speed and power. Looking at the Tower Pro web site spec sheet on these series of motors I see the 2409-12 delta indicates a 1600 Kv rating with an operating current of 23 Amps. All of the motors in the series show 10 volts input. The suggested prop for both the 12T and 18T is shown as 8x4, 8x5 for the "bell" motors and 8x3.8, 8x6 for the "can" Drum motors. I'm not as good with this stuff as you and Dr Kiwi are but wouldn't the 2409-12T Delta result in even more speed and power than the 2409-18T Delta? Note that I'm talking about the Delta terminated and not the Star terminated motors.
On a different note I saw where you are a Mechanical Technician. This just keeps getting more amazing. Before changing careers I worked for 13 years as an Auto Technician in a Dealership and another 14 years in service Management in the same dealership. If the next thing you tell me is that you were born on Jan 26th., I'm going to FREAK. We already talked about being from about the same Generation so this is just getting a little strange.

Charlie
Hi Charlie your right, the 2409-12 turns at 1600kv, but eats up amps like crazy, the 2409-18 does not draw as many amps, thats why I am using it on this pusher, then going with a big pitch prop to compensate for the lower rpm on the 2409-18, I am only using a 1200mah 15c lipo, and 23 amps will drain that small lipo real fast, and this is a small pusher jet, that cant take a lot more weight than maybe a 1320mah3 cell lipo, here are some specs on the 2409-18 from heads up rc, as you can see, the 2409-18 will turn a 11x7 prop at 17 amps, Soooo a 8x8 prop should be around 14 to 15 amps, need to check it with my amp probe,
I was born in July I am a Equipment Tech, I Repair Robotic arms for Automated Refuse Trucks for the City, Yes, Thats right, I am a Female Mechanic,
Now you can FREAK Take care, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com/2409-18T-Outrunn...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by CHELLIE; 10-09-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
proffcharlie

The fact of being a Female Mechanic doesn't freak me at all. One of the best Technician I had in the dealership was a woman. She had a nack for keeping up with the guy when it was time to BS and could be the most feminine person you ever met if that's what was called for. Funny thing was the female customer were thee ones that had the hardest time accepting her as a professional. What freaks me is how similar our backgrounds seem to be.

Charlie
Old 10-09-2007, 06:32 AM
proffcharlie

Chellie,
Now that I am at home, I pulled up the data on the 2409AlL-18T /\ motors that I have. In all I have four of them and the test data on each is pretty close to the same. With 3 cell 11.1v 1320 mAh Thunder Power batt., APC 8x4E prop, Tower Pro 15/20A ESC the WOT RPM is 9,500. Battery starts at 12.215 V and drops to 11.29 during the 1 minute run. My watt meter indicated 105W @ 9.3 Amps. In all test the motor was only run for 1 minute to get readings and then shut down for at least 5 minute to cool. After the motor is shut down and Battery disconnected the motor was just slightly warm to touch. I connected the battery again and ran the motors again for 3 minutes at WOT and had a recovered a/c blower blowing air accross the motor to simulate the in flight cooling. When the motor was shut down again it was slightly warm to the touch. The motorcalc programs on the forums indicate these numbers result in 21.2 oz thrust and approx. 58 Km/h speed.

With an 8x8 prop you may get lucky and not even hit above 15 Amps. Being these numbers are during a static test and all four motors were only a few tenths of a Volt and Amp of each other, I would think the electric data would drop while in the air and the RPMs should rise a few hundred when the motor unloads in the air.

Charlie

Last edited by proffcharlie; 10-09-2007 at 06:36 AM. Reason: misplaced puncuation
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Chellie,
Now that I am at home, I pulled up the data on the 2409AlL-18T /\ motors that I have. In all I have four of them and the test data on each is pretty close to the same. With 3 cell 11.1v 1320 mAh Thunder Power batt., APC 8x4E prop, Tower Pro 15/20A ESC the WOT RPM is 9,500. Battery starts at 12.215 V and drops to 11.29 during the 1 minute run. My watt meter indicated 105W @ 9.3 Amps. In all test the motor was only run for 1 minute to get readings and then shut down for at least 5 minute to cool. After the motor is shut down and Battery disconnected the motor was just slightly warm to touch. I connected the battery again and ran the motors again for 3 minutes at WOT and had a recovered a/c blower blowing air accross the motor to simulate the in flight cooling. When the motor was shut down again it was slightly warm to the touch. The motorcalc programs on the forums indicate these numbers result in 21.2 oz thrust and approx. 58 Km/h speed.

With an 8x8 prop you may get lucky and not even hit above 15 Amps. Being these numbers are during a static test and all four motors were only a few tenths of a Volt and Amp of each other, I would think the electric data would drop while in the air and the RPMs should rise a few hundred when the motor unloads in the air.

Charlie
Thank you Charlie thats interesting, I need to get a wattmetter and thrust gauge, now that i am totally engulfed into Electrics I have been using motor / prop info from heads up rc, and other places to get an idea of thrust to amp usage, these pusher jets and deltas, need more thrust, to get going than lets say a high wing plane, I find that, most of my builds, need at least 20 oz of thrust to take off and fly right, but i am making planes that will do 60 mph plus, i tried a 6x5.5 apc speed prop, with a 2408-21, on the pink pusher jet, and it was not enough thrust to get it to fly, in a lite wind , that prop needs more rpm to work right but a 7x6 slow fly prop, worked good, but not enough speed, it will be interesting to find out how much thrust I will get from a 8x8 apc thin prop on that 2409-18 on 3 cells, righ now, as they say, i am just shooting from the hip but i check the amps with a amp probe, with the 8x8 prop, i think the amps will be around 14 to 15 amps, as jeff at heads up rc, is drawing 17 amps from a 11x7 prop on a 2409-18 with 3 cells, we shall see yea i know the max amps on the 2409-18 is 16 amps, i like to push the limits, I am wondering how the 2409-18 will do on 4 cells being a low kv motor, take care, Chellie
Old 10-10-2007, 06:38 AM
proffcharlie

Chellie,

I have one of the 2409-18's on a 36" span foam Extra 300. Flying weight is at the 25 oz. mark and I'm using a 9x6E APC, with a Thunder Power 3cell 1320 mAh Bat. I don't have specs on this set up but I can fly the plane off of grass with about a 25 ft roll out on take off at full throttle. This plane was a DOG with a Speed 480 brushed motor, 3:1 gear and same prop and Bat. I have not had time to really ring out this set up, but airspeed is very good and the verticle is very good. After a 12 minute flight of verticles, loops, rolls, snaps, and hi speed passes the motor is still able to be held in my hand without discomfort. Actually the battery is hotter than the motor. I'll try to arrrange some things so I have some free time and hook up the wattmeter and multimeter to this set up and get some data for you.

I think you'll be okay with the 8x8 prop, after all you won't be at WOT all the time (yea right, she is thinking). Going to 4 cells is a nice idea but then your AUW might get critical.

Charlie
Old 10-10-2007, 09:52 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Chellie,

I have one of the 2409-18's on a 36" span foam Extra 300. Flying weight is at the 25 oz. mark and I'm using a 9x6E APC, with a Thunder Power 3cell 1320 mAh Bat. I don't have specs on this set up but I can fly the plane off of grass with about a 25 ft roll out on take off at full throttle. This plane was a DOG with a Speed 480 brushed motor, 3:1 gear and same prop and Bat. I have not had time to really ring out this set up, but airspeed is very good and the verticle is very good. After a 12 minute flight of verticles, loops, rolls, snaps, and hi speed passes the motor is still able to be held in my hand without discomfort. Actually the battery is hotter than the motor. I'll try to arrrange some things so I have some free time and hook up the wattmeter and multimeter to this set up and get some data for you.

I think you'll be okay with the 8x8 prop, after all you won't be at WOT all the time (yea right, she is thinking). Going to 4 cells is a nice idea but then your AUW might get critical.

Charlie
Hi Charlie, my first electric plane was a converted 25 glow size cub, with a brush motor, gear box, I was using a 9v rc car nicad battery need i say more, it was to heavy to get off the ground, the cub was heavy, the battery was heavy and the brush motor was a dog, no power, it taxied fast , my next electric was a GP extra 300, with a gear box and brush motor, that was a piece of junk, very flimsy, poor hardware, but it did fly, I was happy when a cell phone tower jumped out in front of it, and turned it into confette my next plane was a Mavrick 2 from RC Products, with a 2408-21 brushless, YEA, I finally got the hang of these electrics, and learned what works and what does not work, The mavrick 2 is a great Air plane, and ton of fun, its a 3d plane that will do it all, and is only like $14.00 here is a link if your interested, I have 3 of these planes, and they are a blast to fly, they fly great with a 2408-21 and a 7x6 prop with a 3 cell 1200mah to 1320 lipo, take care, Chellie

http://www.rc-products.net/default.asp

Old 10-10-2007, 08:49 PM
lrplin

Amazing, Thank you Chellie
Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

I have the Mavrick 2 (and 3 more on the way) I used an Emax CF2812 1534kv brusless (16amp) with an 18amp ESC and a 9X5 GWS prop. Flys awsome. I've used anywhere from a 3S 1000mah to a 3S 2100mah with this plane... still flys great.... thats why I ordered 3 more versions of it.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:14 PM
lrplin

thank you CHELLIE! Here is what i made last night. Haven't try to fly yet, but it looks really good, thank you again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jet.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	44437  
Old 10-12-2007, 10:53 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by lrplin View Post
thank you CHELLIE! Here is what i made last night. Haven't try to fly yet, but it looks really good, thank you again.
Very Very Nice Job lrplin It looks like mine make sure it has enough thrust, before you fly it, hold it vertical in your hand, and give it full power, it should want to go vertical, if you let go of it, momentairly , Take care & have fun with your new jet, and your very Welcome, Chellie
Old 10-13-2007, 09:23 AM
lrplin

Thank you, by the way, how to check for the CG? I saw you putted the battery on the very front end in your pictures.

Quick Reply: Pink Pusher Jet Build

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11106 seconds with 16 queries