Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Scorpion Motor Q&A - Show us your Scorpion!

Old 09-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Default Scorpion Motor Q&A - Show us your Scorpion!

I thought I would start a Scorpion motor Q&A forum here to help fellow modelers determine the best motor, esc, battery, and prop combination to power their airplanes. I welcome your questions about the Scorpion line of brushless motors and speed controllers and I will do my best to answer them as best I can.

I also would like to invite anyone using this line of motors to post their airplanes and power system setups. Please post pictures of your airplane with Scorpion products and let us know what works best for you. This way people with the same or similar plane can get another oppinion - and see proven working power systems.

So - Show us your Scorpion!
Old 09-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Default Prop Charts

As a dealer the question I am asked most often is "what motor is right for my airplane". With all the confusing terms and specs (or lack of specs) for brushless motors it can be very difficult to find the best motor for your plane unless you happen to be an electrical engineer.

When I found the Scorpion brand of motors I was very impressed with their quality, performance, and price, but most of all I was happy to see a motor with detailed specs and prop charts that everyone can understand. These charts are created by Lucien Miller of Innov8tive Designs using several brands and sizes of props and battery combinations. They are not inflated, unrealistic or theoretical numbers, but rather actual conservative bench tests that demonstate the real performance you're going to experience. Notice how a 3-cell Lipo is set at 10.5v which is the real voltage you will see under load.

The charts make it very easy to find the right motor, prop, ESC, and battery for your plane because there is a column we can all understand - THRUST. All you need to know is the flying weight of your airplane and the performance you want. Find the amount of thrust you want and you'll see the right combination of power system components you'll need to achieve it.

Here is the popular Scorpion 2215-18 motor's chart for an example....

Looking at this chart you can see that the "sweet spot" for this motor is the APC 10x5E prop which will produce 34oz of thrust with a 3-cell lipo. We can also determine that a 25A ESC will work well with this combination since it will only pull a max of 16.91 amps. If you were installing this power system on a 17oz model the power ratio would be 2:1 which would provide insane vertical performance. So you don't have to get an engineering degree to choose a motor and you know exactly what you're going to get and how it will perform. Easy!
Old 09-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Default Hyperion Yak-55 10e with Scorpion motor

Here is my Hyperion Yak-55 10e with Scorpion power

Flying Weight: 25oz
Motor: Scorpion 3008-28
ESC: Scorpion 35A
Battery: 20C 3-cell 1500mah (2200mah pictured)
Prop: APC 10x5E
Static Thrust: 44oz
Power Ratio: 1.8:1

Old 09-29-2007, 10:37 PM
The Bandit

I glanced through some of the numbers on these motors, they seem to be geared towards 3D/pattern type flying. Does Scorpion motors produce anything for warbirds? Which likes to use a higher pitch prop.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
I glanced through some of the numbers on these motors, they seem to be geared towards 3D/pattern type flying. Does Scorpion motors produce anything for warbirds? Which likes to use a higher pitch prop.
Bandit,

There are 9 different motors in the 22mm series and 12 different motors in the 30mm series so there are many motors that will work well in all types of airplanes. Scorpion is also coming out with a 40mm series of motors that will hit the market in a couple weeks for larger airplanes, with plans for 55mm, 65mm, and 85mm series as well.

I am about to build the Hyperion Hayate KI-84 warbird and will be powering it with a Scorpion motor. If you have a particular model in mind I can recommend a prop chart to look at.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:33 AM
herk_1
Trash Hauler emeritus

I see a lot of GWS props in those stats...what's the best way to use a GWS prop with these motors? (It looks like the Scorpion motors come with a prop adapter suitable for APC props, not the smaller diameter threaded shaft as the GWS are designed for)
Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Originally Posted by herk_1 View Post
I see a lot of GWS props in those stats...what's the best way to use a GWS prop with these motors? (It looks like the Scorpion motors come with a prop adapter suitable for APC props, not the smaller diameter threaded shaft as the GWS are designed for)
You're right, the included threaded prop adapter is a little larger than the GWS props will fit on without drilling out the prop hub larger. This is what most people have to do with GWS props on most non-GWS motors. However on the 2205, 2208, and 2212 series motors they also include a "wobbly" adapter that fits GWS props without modification.

Personally I prefer the APC props. They are much more durable and include "locator rings" so you can fit almost any shaft size without drilling. But the GWS props are lighter and thus abit more efficient so many people prefer them. This is why you'll see both brands of props on the charts. There are subtle differences between the brands and everyone has their own preference so it provides better information for motor selection.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Here is my scorpion powered GP Siren. This thing is fast. It climbs verticle out-of-sight in roughly 6seconds.

I am running a Scorpion 3026-10 with a 13x7 CAM folding prop, Phoenix 60 ESC, AR7000, 2 3s2100 TP lipos in parallel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3284.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	49618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3293.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	49619   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3294.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	49620  
Old 12-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Liquidity,

Thanks for sharing your set-up! The fastest plane at our flying field is a Great Planes Electro-Streak powered by a Scorpion 3020-12 motor with a 3-cell 3600mah lipo. It has unlimited vertical and the owner makes 100mph passes that just amaze everyone. With that huge lipo it cuts thru any wind and flies forever on a charge.

I can only imagine the insane performance you must get with your plane!
Old 12-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Badbill (on rcgroups) flew his Siren for 1.5 hours. 6 seconds to climb then he found some thermals that left him up there forever. He is using a close setup, and AXI instead of a Scorpion.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Spammer

Iím sure that sounds like a good idea to you. Maybe admin here will give you your own forum to sell your motors in. Did you ask? It is annoying to me to have advertisements in the discussion sections.

Originally Posted by Ramovan View Post
I thought I would start a Scorpion motor Q&A forum here to help fellow modelers determine the best motor, esc, battery, and prop combination to power their airplanes. I welcome your questions about the Scorpion line of brushless motors and speed controllers and I will do my best to answer them as best I can.

I also would like to invite anyone using this line of motors to post their airplanes and power system setups. Please post pictures of your airplane with Scorpion products and let us know what works best for you. This way people with the same or similar plane can get another oppinion - and see proven working power systems.

So - Show us your Scorpion!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:22 PM
guest001
On Hiatus

I've have bought from this fellow and he is tops-I think he is doing most of us a favor. I'm new to all this and it is a big help.
So, can I use a 3008 32 in that hyperion yak?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Gohmer,

This thread is not intended to be an annoying advertisement. A lot of people like to use forums like this to research power systems for their airplanes. It can a very difficult science to figure out what motors work best for your model and I think it helps to see other proven power systems that people are using in their airplanes. Since I buy, sell, and personally use Scorpion motors I feel more qualified to talk about this line of motors.

I pay to advertise elsewhere on forums. I come here to talk power systems with fellow modelers since that is what I am most interested in.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
guest001
On Hiatus

Originally Posted by Ramovan View Post
Gohmer,

This thread is not intended to be an annoying advertisement. A lot of people like to use forums like this to research power systems for their airplanes. It can a very difficult science to figure out what motors work best for your model and I think it helps to see other proven power systems that people are using in their airplanes. Since I buy, sell, and personally use Scorpion motors I feel more qualified to talk about this line of motors.

I pay to advertise elsewhere on forums. I come here to talk power systems with fellow modelers since that is what I am most interested in.
Can I use a 3008 32 in the Hyperion Yak instead of a 28? Thanks
Old 12-19-2007, 09:29 PM
CuStOm

I think this thread is a perfect fit to the "Power Systems" category. There's always a lot to learn and copy from these types of threads.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Default Scorpion 3008-32

Originally Posted by Dave Matison View Post
Can I use a 3008 32 in the Hyperion Yak instead of a 28? Thanks
Absolutely, you can use the Scorpion 3008-32 instead of the 3008-28. Because this motor has a higher winding you may want to use an APC 11x5.5E prop instead. This will deliver the same 44oz of thrust at a 22A maxx current draw. There's just barely enough clearance for a 11" prop so you may need to bend the landing gear to make it a little taller. Alternatively, you could use an APC 10x7E prop which would still give you nearly 38oz of thrust which is still a 1.5:1 power ratio.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:07 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

just now reading this I have a Katana 46" wing span right over 5 pounds with a Scorpion 3026-12 using a 13 inch prop and running A123 2300 5 and 6 cell batterys, the thust is great on it, plenty of power these motors are great, however with 2300MAH only a 4 1/2 min flight so I have since taken it off and the motor will go on something else.

but I really love the motors, my father owns 3 and i am about to get another one, and put on a Mini showtime.

Name:	katana E.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	49858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Katana E 2.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	49859   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	49860   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0005.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	49861  
Old 12-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Default Cool Profile

Fomiesrfun,

Thanks for sharing the setup - thats way cool. The plane is a lot bigger than it looks in the pictures. The Scorpion 3026 is a big motor.

I like the OS engine stickers!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Dbono99

Default My Lil Bingo 20/Scorpion 3020/12

Hi All Here isa pic of my Lil Bingo 20,49" ws AUW 52 ozs...Power system Scorpion 3020/12-55 amp ESC-APC e 10/5-10/7 prop-Grayson 3s4100 battery.Getting 28 amps 280 watts.

Dan

Name:	DSC02089.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	50408  
Old 12-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by herk_1 View Post
The other thing to be aware of is that virtually every APC SF prop on those charts is beyond it's safe rated rpm of 65000rpm/diameter... and the GWS RS props are even further beyond their limits (perhaps 40-50,000rpm/diameter).

Personally I wouldn't dream of using ANY of these unsafe props - stick to APC E, GWS HD, Aeronaut.........
Old 12-27-2007, 05:41 PM
guest001
On Hiatus

What are the dangers you "opine?"
Old 12-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Randy, how well does the 3008-32 compare to the Park 480 (1020KV version)? Looking for a motor for the Nitroplanes Ultimate Biplane that Santa left me under the tree.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Dave Matison View Post
What are the dangers you "opine?"
In testing I have taken more than a few of these APC SF and GWS RS props beyond their rating... and they have either shown the tell-tale white stress lines at the base of the blade or tossed a blade across the room. I had a 7x3.5 GWS HD throw a blade at 16000rpm just last week!

I take every precaution not to be in the line of fire, but others might not be so lucky.

I'm assuming that if I don't warn people of the potential danger, someone will find some way of suing me if they injure themselves through their own negligence??? And if I indicate that the manufacturer's limits are safe, and they are not, then I can get sued for that too??? And if I suggest that people should participate in RC because it is a good hobby, and they injure themselves, am I liable for that too???

Last edited by Dr Kiwi; 01-05-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
guest001
On Hiatus

Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
In testing I have taken more than a few of these APC SF and GWS RS props beyond their rating... and they have either shown the tell-tale white stress lines at the base of the blade or tossed a blade across the room. I had a 7x3.5 GWS HD throw a blade at 16000rpm just last week!

I take every precaution not to be in the line of fire, but others might not be so lucky.

I'm assuming that if I don't warn people of the potential danger, your lawyer's brain will find some way of suing me if they injure themselves through their own negligence??? And if I indicate that the manufacturer's limits are safe, and they are not, then I can get sued for that too??? And if I suggest that people should participate in RC because it is a good hobby, and they injure themselves, am I liable for that too???
I defended rather than sued manufacturers. And, yes, you could be liable for placing someone in a false light.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:34 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Randy, how well does the 3008-32 compare to the Park 480 (1020KV version)? Looking for a motor for the Nitroplanes Ultimate Biplane that Santa left me under the tree.
I have the Scorpion 3008-32 in a Mountain Models SwitchBack Sr. and a Park 480 (1020KV) in a Molt Models/Mountain Models Tyro 150. Both planes are comparable in weight and size. The SB is low wing and the Tyro is high wing. On 3S I'd give an edge to the Scorpion. On 4S the Scorpion is a rocket! The Park 480 can't handle 4S. It also costs MUCH more. Guess which brand motors I buy lots of now....

Joe

Quick Reply: Scorpion Motor Q&A - Show us your Scorpion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.20556 seconds with 19 queries