Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Scorpion Motor Q&A - Show us your Scorpion!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun View Post
all you needed was a longer shaft from a driffrent motor and replace the shaft, 5 minute job.. But glad you got something that would work.

maybe the 22 series is driffrent from the 30's and cant be replaced as simple i do not own a 20 series yet.
Sounds like all they want to do is sell those cheap chinese motors. Don't care if they fit your application or not.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 PM
quilly101

Default My Scorpion Squadron

All of my aircraft are flown on cheap 3 cell lipos, Sorry I have no pics of my aircraft, but i'll provide links of what I have and what I'm using, Hope this helps.......

http://www.telink.cz/en/katalog/su29.htm on Scorpion 2208-30 with a gws 9x5 prop, 7 mins on 850mah 20c, unlimited vertical

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2175 Exactly same set up as SU29, above, with not as much vertical

http://www.freeair.cz/ENGLISH/Blast-AJ.html on Scorpion 2215-18 with a gws 10x6 prop, 10 mins on 1300mah 20c, unlimited vertical

http://www.allerc.com/Snip-JP.htm Exactly same set up and performance as Blast, above

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1825 (Multiplex Gemini) on Scorpion 3008-28 with APC 11x5.5E, 10 mins on 1800mah 20c, unlimited vertical, (had to re-drill motor mount or you can order the one that fits the acromaster as that is a straight fit!) I LOVE THIS PLANE WITH THIS SET UP!!!!

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=2015 (Multiplex Acromaster) on Scorpion 3014-18 with APC 12x6, 10 mins on 2200mah 20c, unlimited vertical.

Any questions, feel free to ask!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Wow -- 10 minutes of flight time seems to be your standard... :o
Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
quilly101

Obviously not flat out. I get 10 minutes with general flying, if i really start bending sticks it'll usually drops to about 8, but even thats enough for me. All of my batteries are real budget jobs, but I do charge them using a balancer, and I only ever half charge the battery after use, then fully charge a day before flying.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

How fast do your airplanes fly?
Old 02-01-2008, 06:22 AM
quilly101

None of them fly particularly fast, the gemini maybe when its downwind, they all just pull really well, so when I say vertical, its not like a rocket, just a steady pull that keeps on going.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:16 AM
mike early

Maybe you scorpion guys can help:
I have the Scorpion 35 ESC and 3008-32 motor. Using DX7 and 6100rx. If I give it throttle too quickly, it will energize to only about 50% power. If I give it throttle slowly, it'll go 100%.

What is the cause of this?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Originally Posted by mike early View Post
Maybe you scorpion guys can help:
I have the Scorpion 35 ESC and 3008-32 motor. Using DX7 and 6100rx. If I give it throttle too quickly, it will energize to only about 50% power. If I give it throttle slowly, it'll go 100%.

What is the cause of this?
Mike,

There could be a couple reasons this is happening. Two important additional details we need are what prop size are you running and what specific battery are you using. First I would try another battery, if you have one, to see if this changes anything. If you have a battery that can't really deliver enough continous power for the motor it may make the voltage sag down quite a bit especially when you move the throttle quickly. This short burst of power and low voltage could make the ESC believe it's time for the power cut off. By default the Scorpion ESC is set to 50% reduction in power when it hits the power cut-off, thus you suddenly get 50% power.

If another battery does not remmedy this problem, perhaps you can fix it by programming the ESC for a lower cut-off voltage. The default for this is 3.0v so you could safely try 2.9v instead by setting switch 7 and 8 to "off" on the programming card.

A prop that is too big for this motor could also cause the motor to pull over 35A and cause this, but this is not the issue as long as you are running a prop 12x8 or lower.

If that doesn't help you may need to calibrate the throttle on the ESC if you have not done this already. This is very commonly needed by DX7 owners flying electrics. Here are some instructions for doing this....

Before doing this you should make sure your throttle on your DX7 is set to 100% throw as this is sometimes set higher, like 125%. To calibrate the ESC throttle endpoints, first remove the prop from the motor for safety reasons. Next, turn on your tramsmitter with the throttle stick in the full throttle position, and then plug in your battery. The ESC will emit a "Beep-Beep" tone. After you hear the tone, move the throttle stick to the idle position. A couple seconds later you will here the "Beep-Beep" tone again, followed by a "Dee-Doo" tone. Once this happens, the endpoints are calibrated. Now you can unplug the battery, reinstall the prop, and try the throttle again.

Please come back and let us know what you find out. It may help someone else with the same problem in the future.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 AM
mike early

3S lipo. Six different batteries from 1800 to 2400 (15c)
I tried 4 batteries and they all behaved the same. I set the throttle endpoints as well. No effect.

It doesn't have enough time to see how many amps will be pulled, it just goes straight to part throttle. All batteries allowed me to increase throttle a bit more slowly and would happily fly the Align Spitfire straight up with Master Airscrew Electric wood prop 10x8.

I am thinking it's something else. Either the transmitter or the ESC.

I will hook the programming card up and take a look at what I might change.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Mike,

Programming the ESC settings is a very good idea. I'm wondering if the "motor acceleration time" setting would have an effect of this issue. Perhaps setting it higher would have an effect on this problem.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 PM
mike early

There are many many settings on the programming card. Impressive if I thought they all could be useful. Very probably they are.

Anyways, I changed one option at a time including:
Motor Acceleration Time
Power Cutoff Type
Current Overload Protection
Battery Low-Voltage Cutoff
Motor Braking Type
Maybe some others too.

None of these variables had any effect on my fast-throttle-up = low power output.

The one that fixed it appears to be:
changing the Cell Count Detection (Default = Auto) to 3-Cell Li-Po.

I have no idea why this would impact anything at all. I was ready to give up and presume it was the DX7 or 6100rx when I changed this setting, but now it powers to 100% regardless of how fast I give it full throttle.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:33 PM
mike early

As far as I can tell, this page is the only place on the world wide web that asks or tries to answer this issue. I wonder if it's only happened to me.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 AM
CygnusX1

I also run the same ESC but have not had any issues. I also use the same motor. I will double check these things as I haven't maidened it yet.

How hot does the ESC get? Mine seems to get very hot within one minute of hooking up the battery. It gets hot even if I am not running the motor. I'm not sure I need to worry about it or not.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 AM
mike early

strange. do you have any servo chatter or binding? Are the throttle endpoints set?
I've noticed mine has warmed when working on the retract servo, but it was chattering half the time (reason why I was working on them...fixed now). I was also experimenting with half-throttle "glitch".

The one time I flew it I lost track of time and ran the battery down to 8% before I finally flair-stalled on landing. The battery and the esc and motor were just somewhat warm. That's without much airflow at all.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Originally Posted by mike early View Post
As far as I can tell, this page is the only place on the world wide web that asks or tries to answer this issue. I wonder if it's only happened to me.
Mike,

I closely watch a much larger Scorpion Q&A thread on another forum where thousands of questions have been asked, and I have never seen this issue before, so it is not something common by any means.

Glad you figured it out. Perhaps the ESC wasn't detecting the battery chemistry correctly and that caused it to have a lower-than-normal range of voltage to the motor. I have many Scorpion ESCs and I usually program them to turn off the brake and I set the battery type to a 3-cell lipo while I'm at it. I think this is a better setting than letting the ESC auto-detect each time it boots up. Just in case a partially discharged battery makes the ESC believe it has a NiMh or a 2-cell lipo. The battery type is determined strictly by the voltage it expects a certain type of battery to be.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Originally Posted by CygnusX1 View Post
How hot does the ESC get? Mine seems to get very hot within one minute of hooking up the battery. It gets hot even if I am not running the motor. I'm not sure I need to worry about it or not.
What battery are you using on your Scorpion ESC?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:14 AM
worldraft

What is the other thread / Q. & A. that U follow Randy
Old 02-11-2008, 04:06 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Originally Posted by worldraft View Post
What is the other thread / Q. & A. that U follow Randy
The Scorpion Q&A thread on RC Groups. There are over 1500 posts now.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660918
Old 02-11-2008, 04:50 AM
worldraft

Thanks Randy I'll going to need somthing soon so I'll chech this out
Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 AM
jarosujo

Hi Ramovan,
what Scorpion motor and ESC would you recommend for Multiplex Acromaster with 3s A123. All up weight will be about 1100g (35-40 oz). I can't decide- 3008-28 (400W) or 3014-16 (600W). I want unlimited 3D.
Thanx
Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Originally Posted by jarosujo View Post
Hi Ramovan,
what Scorpion motor and ESC would you recommend for Multiplex Acromaster with 3s A123. All up weight will be about 1100g (35-40 oz). I can't decide- 3008-28 (400W) or 3014-16 (600W). I want unlimited 3D.
Thanx
Jarosujo,

Between those two motors you would definitely want the 3014-16 if you want some vertical performance. The 3014-16 with an APC 12x6E prop on a 3-cell A123 would put out about 54oz of thrust and pull a max of about 36 amps. That would give you around a 1.5:1 power ratio if your Acromaster comes in on the light side at 35oz, and 1.3:1 if your AUW comes in at 40oz.

This setup would perform much better on a 4-cell A123 pack. The additional voltage makes the thrust jump to 80oz with a max current of 50A which would be a 2:1 power ratio, even if your AUW comes in on the heavy side at 40oz. If you already have the 3-cell A123 and don't want to buy another battery right now you could run this setup with a 3-cell and see how it performs for you. If you decided you need more power you could later step up to a 4-cell pack. For this reason I would choose a 55A ESC to ensure you have that future flexibility. The 55A ESC would also run cooler on your 3-cell setup since you would not be pushing it to the max (which is never a good idea).
Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM
jarosujo

Thanx a lot,
I have two 3s A123 packs already for my heli, that's why I want to use them.
Later when I need more power, I will go for 4s setup. I just hope Scorpion ESC works with A123 (NiCd voltage protection and timing flights).
Old 02-18-2008, 04:46 AM
c_russell

Default Interstate Cadet

I have a Interstate Cadet, WT without Motor or Battery is 2.5 lbs. the battery is a 4 cell Lipo 3100 mah. I have been flying with an Astro 015 brush motor drawing 22 amps at WOT and cruise a half easily. I have been using a 12 X 6 E prop. This configuration is around 300-350 watts.

I want to replace it with a Scorpion Motor. I have two smaller on which have served me well. I was looking at the 3008-32. Any other suggestion.

Russell
Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Randy, there are a whole lot of people that picked a the Extreme Flight Yak54E during the last couple of days. Many people have not settled on a power system and are looking for a good setup at a great price.

Take a peak over at this thread. You might be able to get a lot of people into Scorpion motors.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...12#post9237226
Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Randy, there are a whole lot of people that picked a the Extreme Flight Yak54E during the last couple of days. Many people have not settled on a power system and are looking for a good setup at a great price.

Take a peak over at this thread. You might be able to get a lot of people into Scorpion motors.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...12#post9237226
Yeah, I may have ordered one (or two) of the Yaks this morning while on the road to Nevada. I haven't checked on what Scorpion motor I may need but I do have a Scorpion 3014-16 NIB at home. If that won't work then it'll get a Scorpion of some sort. Gotta LOVE these motors and ESC's!! It's the only brand I buy anymore.

Joe

Quick Reply: Scorpion Motor Q&A - Show us your Scorpion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.20903 seconds with 11 queries