Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Scorpion Motor Q&A - Show us your Scorpion!

Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 AM
  #126  
cloud-9
Member
 
cloud-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 140
Default

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Randy, there are a whole lot of people that picked a the Extreme Flight Yak54E during the last couple of days. Many people have not settled on a power system and are looking for a good setup at a great price.

Take a peak over at this thread. You might be able to get a lot of people into Scorpion motors.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...12#post9237226


Man, that's for sure. Six pages of posts since the sale announcement yesterday.

Last edited by cloud-9; 02-27-2008 at 06:28 AM.
cloud-9 is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 AM
  #127  
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER
 
Lieutenant Loughead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,406
Default

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Randy, there are a whole lot of people that picked a the Extreme Flight Yak54E during the last couple of days. Many people have not settled on a power system and are looking for a good setup at a great price.

Take a peak over at this thread. You might be able to get a lot of people into Scorpion motors.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...12#post9237226
Out of curiosity, what is the price they are offering the Yak? :o If you can't (or don't want to) tell me, I'm okay with that. :o
Lieutenant Loughead is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 AM
  #128  
Liquidity
Combat Vet
 
Liquidity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 2,049
Default

PM sent
Liquidity is offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 PM
  #129  
adwb
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: bristol England
Posts: 95
Default 4020-16 max amps ?

Hi I have a 4020-16 Scorpion with a Castle link 85 esc as I am using A123 battery pack at 10s. This should give, at full load ,about 29 volts and at 2200ah and 30c max discharge will give me enough power for 10.4lb fully loaded Corsair for scale flying.
on a fixed 3 blade master prop 12 x 7 ,I get 29.27 amp-lowest volt 28.3- 831 watts.
I wonder however as I will shortly be getting a variable pitch 3 blade prop set what is the max amps and I suppose even the minimum that I can look for by adjusting the pitch/blade size.
Is it likely that I might get away with a 5s 2p set up with this motor?
I am getting 12"/13.9"/ and 15" blades.
Is there a ideal amp draw for this motor that gives amax effeciency?
regards
Adwb
adwb is offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 06:14 PM
  #130  
Liquidity
Combat Vet
 
Liquidity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 2,049
Default

Download the Scorpion Calc software (similiar to Motocalc) it gives you all the information you can possibly use for Scorpion motors.
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/StoreFront

Look at the right hand side and you will see an icon that will allow you to dwnload it.
Liquidity is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 11:17 PM
  #131  
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies
Thread Starter
 
Ramovan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 153
Default

Originally Posted by adwb View Post
Hi I have a 4020-16 Scorpion with a Castle link 85 esc as I am using A123 battery pack at 10s. This should give, at full load ,about 29 volts and at 2200ah and 30c max discharge will give me enough power for 10.4lb fully loaded Corsair for scale flying.
on a fixed 3 blade master prop 12 x 7 ,I get 29.27 amp-lowest volt 28.3- 831 watts.
I wonder however as I will shortly be getting a variable pitch 3 blade prop set what is the max amps and I suppose even the minimum that I can look for by adjusting the pitch/blade size.
Is it likely that I might get away with a 5s 2p set up with this motor?
I am getting 12"/13.9"/ and 15" blades.
Is there a ideal amp draw for this motor that gives amax effeciency?
regards
Adwb
I agree with Liquidity, you'll need to play with some numbers in Scorpion Calc to get some ideas on the best setup. I checked it out a bit and found that you could run 5S A123, but it would be difficult to get the thrust and efficiecy needed. You would definetely want to use your 15" blades if you decide to go this route.

The 10S A123 is a little high for this motor but totally doable if you run 12" blades. In fact the best setup I saw was the 12x7 3-blade prop. This would give you 200oz of thrust at a 45A max draw and would be 90% efficient. That would definetely have more than enough power!

Also, I think you would get similar run time with the 10S 2200 vs 5S 4400
Ramovan is offline  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
  #132  
hawkman-rcu
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 59
Default

hi ramovan
i will be buying on of the hyperion 10e series planes from your site.they look really good.i can't decide between the chipmunk/yak55/edge/suquoi.i have a 2215-18 scorpion motor,will it work on any of those planes?im not really into the 3d and hovering flight.have flown glow planes for almost 29 years and i just like to tear up the sky. thank you.
hawkman-rcu is offline  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:52 AM
  #133  
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies
Thread Starter
 
Ramovan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 153
Default

Any of those 10e Hyperion airplanes you listed will work well with the 2215-18 motor. All of those planes (except the Yak-55) recommend a Hyperion 2213 motor. Your 2215 will have a bit more power since the motorís stator length is a little longer, which is good. The 2215-18 puts out around 30oz of thrust and all the 10e planes are below that weight so you know youíll have over a 1:1 power/weight ratio. The 2215 is really the perfect match for the type of flying you want to do.

I have the Hyperion Yak-55 10e and I chose to put the 3008-28 in it. This is one step above the 2215-18 and it has great 3D power with a 1.8:1 power ratio. This would really be overkill for your situation (although it's very fun).
Ramovan is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 PM
  #134  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Can you use a wobble prop saver on the 22 series motors? I am about feed up with my inrunner on my E flite edge 540 BP I want a motor for it but not sure what one I need. Not sure a 22 series would be big enough for it.

I fly it with a 12x6 slow flyer GWS prop now with a CC25A esc. and 1100 A123 cells.
full power is like 15 amps.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 PM
  #135  
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies
Thread Starter
 
Ramovan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 153
Default E-flite Edge 540 BP Power

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun View Post
Can you use a wobble prop saver on the 22 series motors? I am about feed up with my inrunner on my E flite edge 540 BP I want a motor for it but not sure what one I need. Not sure a 22 series would be big enough for it.

I fly it with a 12x6 slow flyer GWS prop now with a CC25A esc. and 1100 A123 cells.
full power is like 15 amps.
A Scoprion 22mm series motor should be more than enough power for that plane. The specs show a flying weight of 15-16oz and for a 3D flyer like this I would shoot for a 2:1 power-to-weight ratio.

All 22mm series motors come with a wobbly-type prop adapter except for the 2215 series which are really too much power for a that type of adapter (although it could be done). If you really want some power take a look at the 2215-18. It could get over a 2:1 ratio even on A123 cells.

If you want to stick with a wobbly prop adapter or are concerned about the amp draw I would recommend the 2212-22. This would put you closer to a 1.6:1 ratio at less than 18amp max with a GWS 10x4.7 slow prop. According to the prop chart you would get 30oz of thrust @ 18A if you were using lipos so I would estimate 25oz of thrust @ around 16A with A123 cells.

Scorpion 2215-18 Prop Chart
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...18%20Specs.htm

Scorpion 2212-22 Prop Chart
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...22%20Specs.htm
Ramovan is offline  
Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 AM
  #136  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by Ramovan View Post
A Scoprion 22mm series motor should be more than enough power for that plane. The specs show a flying weight of 15-16oz and for a 3D flyer like this I would shoot for a 2:1 power-to-weight ratio.

All 22mm series motors come with a wobbly-type prop adapter except for the 2215 series which are really too much power for a that type of adapter (although it could be done). If you really want some power take a look at the 2215-18. It could get over a 2:1 ratio even on A123 cells.

If you want to stick with a wobbly prop adapter or are concerned about the amp draw I would recommend the 2212-22. This would put you closer to a 1.6:1 ratio at less than 18amp max with a GWS 10x4.7 slow prop. According to the prop chart you would get 30oz of thrust @ 18A if you were using lipos so I would estimate 25oz of thrust @ around 16A with A123 cells.

Scorpion 2215-18 Prop Chart
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...18%20Specs.htm

Scorpion 2212-22 Prop Chart
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...22%20Specs.htm
Thanks for the info, well the plane has plenty of power right now, doesn't really need anymore. Also Don't really want to add any nose weight, i am sure it add a little. the 2212-22 is smaller of the two right? I am going to look at the site now and compare.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 AM
  #137  
airmail wf
Super Contributor
 
airmail wf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 1,053
Default

I have the 2215-18 on my MS Composit Blade Dancer With the Scorpion Commander 35 amp ESC with a 1250 Polk 3C Li-Po. One word UNLIMITED VERTICAL. OK two words. I'm very pleased with this set up. I will be buying more Scorpion motors and ESCs in the near future. Great products.
airmail wf is offline  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 AM
  #138  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by airmail wf View Post
I have the 2215-18 on my MS Composit Blade Dancer With the Scorpion Commander 35 amp ESC with a 1250 Polk 3C Li-Po. One word UNLIMITED VERTICAL. OK two words. I'm very pleased with this set up. I will be buying more Scorpion motors and ESCs in the near future. Great products.
how much does that plane weigh? how big wingspan? I did a yahoo and the site gives MM I do not know inches from MM thanks
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 PM
  #139  
airmail wf
Super Contributor
 
airmail wf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 1,053
Default

The AUW with battery is 16 ozs. The Wingspan is 33 inches. For me this is the perfect conbination. The plane flys like it's on rails. I'm very happy with this plane and motor setup. I'm using a 10X3.8 APC slow fly prop. Might change the prop in the future. But right now it seems to be working very well. I bought this motor ESC for a Extra Stiffy that I'm working on but decided to put it in the Blade because it only took about ten minutes. I'm glad I did.
airmail wf is offline  
Old 05-28-2008, 02:33 PM
  #140  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by airmail wf View Post
The AUW with battery is 16 ozs. The Wingspan is 33 inches. For me this is the perfect conbination. The plane flys like it's on rails. I'm very happy with this plane and motor setup. I'm using a 10X3.8 APC slow fly prop. Might change the prop in the future. But right now it seems to be working very well. I bought this motor ESC for a Extra Stiffy that I'm working on but decided to put it in the Blade because it only took about ten minutes. I'm glad I did.
Oh wow, that plane is way over powered but I always say more power is better then not enough. My plane is about 20 oz I belive.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 AM
  #141  
airmail wf
Super Contributor
 
airmail wf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 1,053
Default

Too much power is just about right.......
airmail wf is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 12:59 AM
  #142  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

well My father doesnt think either of the motors would be enough, Its important i can use a large prop, 11.5 or 12x6 or something like that, it is a 3D plane and it flys slow ( on the prop) high alpha KE and things like that. I do lots of hovering with it.

So I really don't know.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 02:41 AM
  #143  
Liquidity
Combat Vet
 
Liquidity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 2,049
Default

foamies,

Check this out. It should help you out A LOT. I love tis chart.

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/Sco...ison%20Web.htm
Liquidity is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 03:16 AM
  #144  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
foamies,

Check this out. It should help you out A LOT. I love tis chart.

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/Sco...ison%20Web.htm

Thanks , I have that on paper but didn't have the link to it online.
The thing is it does not list many himax motors, and not mine for the 20 series.
I know some used the park 480 on the edge 540 profile but thats really to much power. and heavy.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 AM
  #145  
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies
Thread Starter
 
Ramovan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 153
Default

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun View Post
well My father doesnt think either of the motors would be enough, Its important i can use a large prop, 11.5 or 12x6 or something like that, it is a 3D plane and it flys slow ( on the prop) high alpha KE and things like that. I do lots of hovering with it.
The 2215-18 is definitely enough power. Flying a 16oz plane it would have a 2:1 power ratio. The motor above this would be the 3008 series (the equivalent of a Park 480) and would put out a 3:1 power ratio - that would be too much power (and weight).

If you want to be able to run a larger prop perhaps you should consider the 2215-22. This lower Kv motor will spin a larger prop like the GWS 11x4.7SF more efficiently and put out almost 32oz of thrust for a 2:1 power ratio.
Ramovan is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 AM
  #146  
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies
Thread Starter
 
Ramovan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 153
Default Motor Calculators

This might help in case you haven't tried them yet...

Scorpion Calc
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...c_Imp_v236.zip

Himax Calc
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-inde..._Calc_v235.exe
Ramovan is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 02:09 PM
  #147  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by Ramovan View Post
The 2215-18 is definitely enough power. Flying a 16oz plane it would have a 2:1 power ratio. The motor above this would be the 3008 series (the equivalent of a Park 480) and would put out a 3:1 power ratio - that would be too much power (and weight).

If you want to be able to run a larger prop perhaps you should consider the 2215-22. This lower Kv motor will spin a larger prop like the GWS 11x4.7SF more efficiently and put out almost 32oz of thrust for a 2:1 power ratio.
Thanks, I have a hard time with all the #'s and all on motors, i do not totally understand it all, I am trying to learn. my father said I needed to know the RPM's of the motor I fly now and I do nto have a tach.
we picked out a motor for my glider but we knew how many amps at wot, and the rmps and prop size. I do need to be able to swing a big prop. I will look at that other motor you said in sorp calc. its a great program.

I did not know about the Himax calc, thanks a lot. that should help me out. Well it does not have but a few prop choices.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 PM
  #148  
airmail wf
Super Contributor
 
airmail wf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 1,053
Default

Randy is giving you some very good advice. 2 to 1 ratio is just what you want in a 3D plane. That is why the 2215-18 feels just right in my Blade Dancer. The Extra Stiffy is 19ozs AUW and this is the motor that it calls for. Actually it's more then what it calls for. It calls for a Hacker A20-20L. I would think 1 oz isn't going to make much of a difference.
airmail wf is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 03:49 AM
  #149  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by airmail wf View Post
Randy is giving you some very good advice. 2 to 1 ratio is just what you want in a 3D plane. That is why the 2215-18 feels just right in my Blade Dancer. The Extra Stiffy is 19ozs AUW and this is the motor that it calls for. Actually it's more then what it calls for. It calls for a Hacker A20-20L. I would think 1 oz isn't going to make much of a difference.
yes but I also need a motor that will sling a large prop I use a 12x6 now, i have used a 11x5.5 in the past on same setup and its not as good of a flyer, need the big prop for slow flight, so far the #'s I ran will not sling a large prop with the batterys I will be using. Want to make sure I have the best set up and my father who knows everything is not willing to help me out pick one this time, s now my head hurts from reading all these numbers
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
  #150  
Liquidity
Combat Vet
 
Liquidity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 2,049
Default

Randy, I got one for you.

I am going to run 2 3026-12 Scorpion motors in a Deuces Wild. Here is my proposed set up.

2 Scorpion 3026-12 motors
2 Scorpion 70A esc
2 4s4000 lipos
6 Digital DS821 servos
1 Basic standard servo
Robart retracts.
AR7000 rx
13x6.5 counter rotating props

Ok, here is my question. How do you recommend wiring this setup? I read on RCG where Lucein said they tested and ran both esc 'Y' together without disabling 1 of the ESCs bec. However, I am going to be running 6 digital servos.

Should I install a Dimension Engineering Sport BEC on one of the ESC and disable the other ESCs BEC? The last thing I want are those servos pulling to much and haivng the plane shutdown.
Liquidity is offline  

Quick Reply: Scorpion Motor Q&A - Show us your Scorpion!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.21041 seconds with 11 queries