Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

E-flite Super Airliner Build Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:21 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Good I'm glad you are staying with it. It is expensive but well worht it and a very good flying airplane too. You'll enjoy it very much once you have it all set up.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:45 PM
ParkJetsFlyer

Originally Posted by SuperAirlinerfreak101 View Post
can anybody tell me how to change the livery on my airliner ?
Are the graphics painted on there now?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

No they are the stick on type decals. They will pull right off but once you remove them they are done.

The company logos are easy enough but all the windows and doors are one long decal on either side and you can't really take them off without runining them. They go over the dark,and light blues as well as the white so it would be a challenge to change the color scheme without acquiring new decals for that part of it.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Jetnfast

Fellow Super airliner fans,

I was curious if you all knew where I could get a replacement 2mm x 6mm screw that is for attaching the motor to the ducted fan housing? I have tried the LHS and Denault's True Value which is known for having a wide selection of small screws and such, but came up empty. I have tried emailing horizon and they said no can do. I am also looking for an alternative to the 4 3mm x 40mm screws that attach the wings since the soft metal of the phillips head is already somewhat stripped on the ones I have now. I was looking for maybe an allen bolt type head. Any help is appreciated, I am trying to get another one of these up and running after mine crashed in March of last year for an unknown reason, probably ESC related loss of control! I have everything to get her up and running less the screws I need, even a dimension engineering BEC to hopefully avoid what I think was the cause of the crash. Thanks -

Aaron
Old 01-08-2008, 11:17 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Try these guys.

http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/index.html
Old 01-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I want to make it Delta Airlines, or jetblue or Ana Air.

I'll go with ANA.
Delta and ANA both fly the Boeing 777 (which is what this airliner actually represents). If you'd like, I can trot out to the "outer office" and take a few pictures for you of that livery, or point you towards some great pictures on the web. Lots of air carriers fly the 777.

I picked Uniteds current livery for my Sonic Liner, as it shows up well in the air and has good top/bottom recognition. Not real important to the full scale (rolling while going vertical is frowned upon by the air carriers), and fairly easy to paint.

If you've got the patience to paint, Air Tahiti Nui would be a great paint scheme.

JetBlue? Don't bother. They haven't figured out little planes yet, you'll never see a 777 in their livery
Old 01-09-2008, 01:17 AM
SuperAirlinerfreak101
RC PILOT

I chose jetblue cause their planes have some blue, so I won't have to repaint my airliner.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Jetnfast

Fireman,

Thanks for the link, I actually dug through some bolts and screws and came up with one that will work! I should have the new Airliner ready this weekend if I get some time to finish off the wing, fuse is ready to go with electronics all ready. I have built one before so this should be a snap, and I feel better knowing I have an extra BEC on board.
BTW, the decals for the windows on the side of the jet and the rest all come in the decal package you can buy for like $7.00 or so, I bought one to get the decals for the wing for my replacement airliner.

Aaron
Old 01-09-2008, 03:08 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

good deal! glad you got what you needed. Those guys are a local company for me. About 30 miles from where I live.

I did not know you could get new decals for them! That is cool. That'll certainly help out the folks who want to paint them up differently.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I chose jetblue cause their planes have some blue, so I won't have to repaint my airliner.
My mistake - I thought you were looking for scale accuracy.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:37 AM
raido56
Not nuts I'm Plane crazy

Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Fellow Super airliner fans,

I was curious if you all knew where I could get a replacement 2mm x 6mm screw that is for attaching the motor to the ducted fan housing? I have tried the LHS and Denault's True Value which is known for having a wide selection of small screws and such, but came up empty. I have tried emailing horizon and they said no can do. I am also looking for an alternative to the 4 3mm x 40mm screws that attach the wings since the soft metal of the phillips head is already somewhat stripped on the ones I have now. I was looking for maybe an allen bolt type head. Any help is appreciated, I am trying to get another one of these up and running after mine crashed in March of last year for an unknown reason, probably ESC related loss of control! I have everything to get her up and running less the screws I need, even a dimension engineering BEC to hopefully avoid what I think was the cause of the crash. Thanks -

Aaron

Hi Aaron,
As far as the wing screws go I don't use them anymore. What I did was remove the blind nuts in the wood and tap out the wood to use 5/32 hex head plastic wing bolts. The little screws were a pain in the butt too use. And yes use a UBEC you can't go wrong with that setup. I did not use one and my airliner went in twice because the BEC on my ESC burned up and I had no control to land it. Now I use a UBEC and have no problems at all and I run my airliner with 2-3800 Kv motors, 2- 30 amp ESC's a UBEC with a 4S 3100 pack pulling 58.94 amp's at 765 watts so take off from grass is no problem for me.

Keep em flying
raido56/Herb
Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Jetnfast

Thanks for the update Radio56. I had some time this weekend and last weekend to get the last few things on my rebuilt airliner ready to go.

Thankfully, my airliner lives again.....I had some time recently to get her back together. A while back I fixed the original fuselage, and fixed up a pair of damaged wings I recieved from E-flite that they sent me. As some of you know, my previous crash was due to the ESC inadvertently shutting down in flight causing the loss of control and subsequent crash. To prevent a crash due to the same problem, I am using a Dimension engineering BEC connected to one of the ESCs, this way if it fails again, my servos will still be powered and I can doing an engine out landing. I will hopefully maiden her next weekend. Here are some pics of the repaired bird:

You can see the damage to the nose was bad after the crash! I used a trick where you boil some water and then put the nose of the plane in the water and the foam will expand back to its original size. Then I cut some rough foam to insert into the space damaged, then used some spackling paste I refinished the nose to shape, and finally repainted it. You can barely tell, and its amazing its the same fuse!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2000.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	52055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2009.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	52056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2756.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	52057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2758.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	52058  
Old 01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Nice work! She looks good as new!
Old 01-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Jetnfast

Well she flew today! Not much wind, temp around 55-60F and the airliner flew great. I had about a 6-8 minute flight and then decided I better not push my luck for the "re-maiden". This is a fun jet to fly touch and go's with! I am glad I repaired her and have flown her again. After the 6-8 minute flight, the lipo's (TP 2100 mahs) only pulled 800 mah a piece so I probably could have flown another 6-7 minutes before they were near out of juice. I am going to fly her again tommorow, consider we are having some great phoenix weather right now. Take care!

Aaron
Old 01-29-2008, 03:08 AM
SuperAirlinerfreak101
RC PILOT

wow, what a good job you did there fixing your airliner there, jetnfast !
Old 01-31-2008, 06:10 AM
Jetnfast

Thanks for the kind words, I am going to put some more flights on her this weekend. I want to test and see what kind of flight times I can get with my setup. I am hoping for 9-11 minutes with the two TP2100s.

Jetnfast
Old 12-21-2008, 05:25 PM
A.T.A.C.

Default E-flite Super Airliner motor questions

Hi, I am putting together a Super Airliner. I have three questions:

1) I have two Himax HA 2025 4200 Kv in-runners. I was planning to use these, but the shaft is 2 mm, while the included fans accept 2.3 mm shafts. Where can I find the appropriate 2 mm adapters?

2) If I can't use my existing motors, would the recommended (BL 400) motors by E-flite stand 4 cells? I have two TP 4000 mAh 4s2p batteries that I would like to use in this project.

3) What other motors (reasonably priced) can be used with the existing fans and a 4 cell battery?

Thanks,

ATAC
Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

High there A.T.A.C. Welcome to WattFlyer.

I can answer you second question. The batter compartment is pretty tight. I I can just fit 2 3s 2200 lipos in mine and have room to get the straps around them. 2 4s 4000's may not fit, and it would throw off you cg pretty bad as the battery compartment is forward of the CG location.

I use the BL 400 motors in mine and they work really well.

Here some threads on mine

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23672

and my cooling retrofit. You need to get some air on the esc's if you put them in the wings where they suggest. If you seal them up under the stickers they will overheat and burn up in short order.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37831
Old 12-21-2008, 05:53 PM
A.T.A.C.

Hi FiremanBill, thanks for the prompt response.

I can insert the battery in the compartment, and it stops just before the front landing gear assembly. Physically it may be used, but I wondered about the CG as well. I have been reading about this plane, I had seen a few comments mentioning that it requires more nose weight with the recommended batteries. I thought it may be OK to use the longer 4s battery. I have two of these, and I would like to use them in this plane, freeing the 3s packs for other planes to use.

Has anyone tried 4s with the stock motors? Tomorrow I am going to call Horizon's technical service to get an opinion.

Thanks,

ATAC
Old 12-21-2008, 06:02 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Oh you are only going to use 1? You will be ok that way then.

I have not had to add any extra nose weight to get mine to balance. There is room to shift the 3s batts forward and back a bit to adjust. I got it set and then marked it so I would know where they go each time.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:59 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Quick question,
Do you need 2 batterys?
Or do you just connect the ESC's Together and use 1 battery/Flight.
Nice video.
--PvT
Old 12-22-2008, 01:03 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

either way, I use two. Just by choice I guess. I use one in my twin brushless motor A-10.

Either way works fine as long as your battery is big enough and capable of the current draw of the two motors
Old 12-22-2008, 01:25 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Wait, so how would you decide wich to do?
I have a Tenergy 3 cell 2220 battery and im dying to use it.
--PvT
Old 12-22-2008, 01:29 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I don't think that will cut it on this bird. What's the C rating on that battery?

I run 2 3s 2200's in mine, If it would handle the draw your flight times would be very short.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:05 AM
A.T.A.C.

This is what I am planning to use:

Receiver: Spektrum AR 7000
ESC (2x): CC Phoenix 25
Elevator servo: Spektrum DS821
The rest of the servos: Hitec HS55
Battery: Thunder Power Pro Lite 4000 mAh 4 cells (4S2P of 2000mAh cells)
Motors: Himax HA 2025 4200kV

I got the batteries (two of them) and one of the motors on eBay, from a reliable vendor that I had used many times before. They are used but seem to be in good shape. I got the other motor from a local hobbyist. It is also used, but the shaft was slightly bent. I straightened it, but I wonder if it will be an issue when the motor is used for an EDF, especially in a twin engine set up. The other concern I have is that the motors are not being from the same batch. As a matter of fact one of them ( the one with the slightly bent shaft) is an older motor. Its can is slightly shorter, and it is 5 g heavier. I called Himax, and verified that they are essentially the same inside. However, I am still concerned to some extent. I would like to use my existing material to build the plane, and I am willing to take some chances with the above-mentioned concerns, but I am stuck with the shaft diameter issue. Horizon does not carry a 2 mm shaft adapter for the stock fans, and I could not find any other sources. The project came to a halt. I hope to resolve these issues and move on ASAP. I have too many other kits on the waiting list!

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

ATAC

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Oh you are only going to use 1? You will be ok that way then.

I have not had to add any extra nose weight to get mine to balance. There is room to shift the 3s batts forward and back a bit to adjust. I got it set and then marked it so I would know where they go each time.

Quick Reply: E-flite Super Airliner Build Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13831 seconds with 15 queries