Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

cooling lipos quickly?

Old 03-13-2008, 03:28 AM
jswigart

Default cooling lipos quickly?

I realize that you should always let your lipos cool down after a run down, before recharging.
If your out at the flying field and want to be able to start recharging quickly, would it be okay to carry ice packs in a cooler and place the discharged lipos in the cooler to bring the temp down quicker?
Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:46 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

jswigart,

I am not sure about using a rapid method such as ice packs, but I have seem some folks use a box fan set on it's side, so the fan is blowing straight up, with the Lipos on the fan, to keep them cool as they charge.

Not sure how this would work at the field, though, unless you had AC power at the field.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:07 AM
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

You can use a 12volt computer fan. Many have used such a fan on a length of PVC pipe or such with a shelf in it to cool Ni packs.

Fact is that LiPolys should not be over 125F at the end of a flight and if being charged at 1C they will be fine and cool down during the charge.

Charles
Old 03-13-2008, 11:56 AM
jswigart

Hmm, that's interresting. I don't mean to be argumentative but everything I have read, warns to allow lipos to cool before charging? Says that it will shorten the life if charged while hot. Are they just being over cautious?
Old 03-13-2008, 03:52 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jswigart View Post
Hmm, that's interresting. I don't mean to be argumentative but everything I have read, warns to allow lipos to cool before charging? Says that it will shorten the life if charged while hot. Are they just being over cautious?
That's if they are hot. If you take them off the plane and they are not hot, then what Charles is saying (correct me if I am wrong, Charles) is if they are already not hot, and you charge them properly at 1C, then they won't be damaged, and will cool while charging.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:38 AM
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

Hot is different to most as they go by feelings. Purchase a IR temp gun. If your LiPolys are over 125F after a flight you are killing them. Increase capacity / C rate us less prop and / or less throttle.

In theory you should let them cool to 95F before charging. Now how exactly do you do that in Texas ,Arizion or so many other places which have temps. over 100F in the shade very often?

The worse things you can do to a LiPoly during normal useage is get it Hot or discharge more than 80% capacity from it.

I will repeat that a LiPoly being charged at 1C will cool during charging. Charging a good quality LiPoly 3C with a good charger / balancer the battery will only increase approx. 3F if it starts at room temp. and will still cool down during charging just not as fast.

Charles
Old 03-14-2008, 12:49 PM
AeroSurfer

Default Nice topic

Nice info saherd
Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
jswigart

Thanks Charles