Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

2 words: Parkzone VAPOR!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM
ontheedge

I'm on the way out the door to pick up mine now. Came in yesterday to the LHS.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Tommyr

Mine's on the way as I type! Maybe tomorrow! $110 at American RC Outlet.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I just checked with Horizon and my Bind-N-Fly Vapor shipped yesterday and should be here tomorrow. Hooray.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
ontheedge

Originally Posted by ontheedge View Post
I'm on the way out the door to pick up mine now. Came in yesterday to the LHS.

All I can say is it's a blast. You can REALLY slow this thing down and fly it in a quite high alpha, all along with good control. It's very light so the motor actually has a little over one to one PTW. The power also helps you power through the turns tighter when needed as it bursts some air over the tail feathers.

I flew it my living room (20 x 12) and outside in a slight breeze. It's real fun. If you don't have one on order, get one!

I bought the bind-n-fly version for $90 at my local hobby shop. When you bind it to your DSM, you have to be quick as the transmitter needs to go into bind mode within 5 seconds of plugging in the battery. Seems like a long time till you realize there's not much room to grasp the plane by in a gentle way. Get a helper if you can.

Last edited by ontheedge; 07-01-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Thumbs up Vapor BNF

Mine arrived yesterday.

I didn't want to open it with all the RC problems I've been having but I couldn't resist.

Finally a model that is really RTF! All I had to do was bind it to my DX7. It's great not having another transmitter added to my collection.

So I went out in the backyard and flew it in slight wind. The wind really will mess with the Vapor if anything but a slight breeze. It took me a little while to get used to the rudder being on the aileron channel. I had to get the little guy out of a tree once.

Once you get used to it, it is a great little plane. It wants to nose in when adding rudder so you have to pull back on the elevator to keep it up. Cutting the trhottle at altitude and you can float down with nearly no forward motion.

I backordered mine from Horizon. Now I need to go to the hobby store and get some spare batteries.

I need a bigger house to fly in. I'm sure cats will want to play too.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:55 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Exclamation Vapor BNF

That's the only bad thing about the plane - 5 seconds to get it bound to the transmitter.

... I bought the bind-n-fly version for $90 at my local hobby shop. When you bind it to your DSM, you have to be quick as the transmitter needs to go into bind mode within 5 seconds of plugging in the battery. Seems like a long time till you realize there's not much room to grasp the plane by in a gentle way. Get a helper if you can.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM
TylerJCooper

My friend got one yesterday. It was the first time I got to see how to bind a plane. Additionally, there was a small breeze outside, but to my amazement it handled quite well. It was an enjoyment to watch it fly.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

My Bind-N-Fly Vapor showed up today. If the wind drops low enough today, I plan to fly it outdoors. Unfortunately our indoor venue is not available until August. I will keep the box it came in for transportation purposes. Cool.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 PM
ontheedge

Originally Posted by caltrop View Post
It took me a little while to get used to the rudder being on the aileron channel.
I can help you out with this one. On the DX7, go into the program mixes. Look for an empty mix where you can assign a mix of your own (i.e., not preprogrammed mixes like rudder to elevator). Now, set up a mix with your rudder stick mixed to you aileron stick, set the rate to 100% and you're done! (You'll thank me in the morning.....)

Now you have a three channel where both the rudder and aileron stick control the rudder. It makes a world of difference, especially if you are use to flying the rudder a lot like in a nose high harrier. I had a blast with the plane with rudder on the right stick, now it's even better with both!

Enjoy............
Old 07-04-2008, 04:35 AM
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

I got one today, plus I bought a spare battery.

Had a little concern plugging the battery in the first time. Lots of warnings to get it right, but it was not all that obvious which way its supposed to go. I'll add two Sharpie arrows to make it perfectly clear which way is which.

Thought I had a bind problem at first, but then realized it takes several seconds to get talking. So just relax, watch the lights flash and such for a few seconds before expecting anything good to happen.

It sure is flimsy! Scares me to hold it!

Hope to maiden it tomorrow outside if its calm in the early AM. I have a pretty nice indoor area to fly it in as compared to the smaller and more treacherous store I saw it flown inside today. But am following the instructions to get familiar with it and get it trimmed in a larger space before trying a small space.

Jim
Old 07-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I got my Vapor to link with my DX7 and the throttle and rudder worked fine but the elevator refused to work at all.

I called Horizon and they are sending me a new receiver. I guess I could fly and use the throttle like a two channel machine and go up and down with power. NOT.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:07 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Lucked out with calm evening and morning today, Vapor flew very well, takes awhile to get use to the quick responses, after 3rd flight had things incontrol, it Alphas great with high nose low speed, will move out fine with dropped nose, and beautiful pavement take-offs lifts off with ease..very fun flyer...

Friend RC flyer hates the Alpha atitude for some reason, he's a good pilot but maiden flight not able to control the tight turns, few more times on the stick and sure he'd master it...BEST..<>..

Vapor
Ember
Old 07-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Warranty

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
I got my Vapor to link with my DX7 and the throttle and rudder worked fine but the elevator refused to work at all.

I called Horizon and they are sending me a new receiver. I guess I could fly and use the throttle like a two channel machine and go up and down with power. NOT.
Are you OK with that? Having to repair a brand new airplane that has never worked? I think they should send you a new complete airplane.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Are you OK with that? Having to repair a brand new airplane that has never worked? I think they should send you a new complete airplane.
They would have replaced the airplane. That was one option. However, I would have to return the whole shebang and wait while it made the round trip. This way, I can be in the air sooner. It was my choice.

They mentioned soldering the motor to the receiver, but the Vapor has a plug in for the motor wires. The Ember has to be soldered and it appears to be potted with some white material and I would not have tackled soldering the tiny wires and dealing with the white material.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Maxih

Bought mine today.. YAY, what a great lil flyer. Apart from a little sim time my plane experience is a total of 20 odd minutes with my week old Electrafun parkflyer.

Very slight wind out today but it handled it nicely. This thing is a great little amuser while i learn how to fly my Heli..

Nice one Parkzone
Old 07-06-2008, 07:09 PM
jckr3w

just got my vapor. Its Awsome!!!. Any advise on how to hold it?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:14 AM
ontheedge

Originally Posted by jckr3w View Post
just got my vapor. Its Awsome!!!. Any advise on how to hold it?
I usually pinch the motor/motor housing to pick it up. Here's a trick I learned for installing a battery. Since the battery tray is on a slide (didn't know this till the third day or so) I just slide the tray forward toward the motor, install the battery on the Velcro, then plug in the connector while grasping the whole battery tray. Since the tray is so far forward, there's lots of room to get your fingers (well okay, not lots but more room) in there. Once pluged in, slide the tray to where you like you CG.

Last edited by ontheedge; 07-07-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 AM
jckr3w

its kinda off topic but
anyone here have a blade cx2??? i have a question
Old 07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
ontheedge

Originally Posted by jckr3w View Post
its kinda off topic but
anyone here have a blade cx2??? i have a question
I've got one of the original 72Mhz ones. I'll try to help.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 PM
jckr3w

it was a binding problem but i think i fixed it.
it just started working. funny

hows your vappor? break anything yet? LOL

i think im going to have to order a extra battery and a spare prop.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Tommyr

Mine finally got here today, I think they made me the last damn stop of the day! Too windy to fly outside so I have to wait. I want to try it outside first before attempting my 12 x 18' living room.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 AM
ontheedge

Originally Posted by Tommyr View Post
I want to try it outside first before attempting my 12 x 18' living room.
Good idea. It's not hard to fly indoors but you have to get use to how to make it turn quick. Sometimes you need to goose the throttle to get more wind over the tailfeathers to get it to come around quick.

Also, once you are comfortable with it, you can move the pushrods closer to the hinge points. Keep in mind if you do this, you need to do this only on a radio where you can adjust your endpoints. Moving in one hole on the elevator left it touching the rudder on full up. I limited the travel with the ATV's and then actually set up dual rates (which you really don't need but what the heck).
Old 07-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Tommyr

Good idea. It's not hard to fly indoors but you have to get use to how to make it turn quick. Sometimes you need to goose the throttle to get more wind over the tailfeathers to get it to come around quick.

Also, once you are comfortable with it, you can move the pushrods closer to the hinge points. Keep in mind if you do this, you need to do this only on a radio where you can adjust your endpoints. Moving in one hole on the elevator left it touching the rudder on full up. I limited the travel with the ATV's and then actually set up dual rates (which you really don't need but what the heck).
I was thinking more of battery tray position for nose up, hover type flight. Moving the battery BACK would give more nose up. I want to try it in the manual recommend spot FIRST, then experiment moving the tray back.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:30 AM
jckr3w

flying indors realy isnt that hard(when you get used to it)
on my first flight i was realy scared that it was going to break if i crashed.But ive crashed it like 30 timez already and still nothin broken
Old 07-09-2008, 05:44 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Lightbulb Vapor Center of Gravity

The entire wing will slide back and forth as well as the battery. I leave the battery as far back as I can get it and adjust the wing position as needed.

Get the wing all the way forward and the battery all the way back for real slow flying.

This little guy will fly in about 5mph winds with the CG as far forward as you can get it. Slide the wing as far back as you can. You will be going a lot faster this way but outdoors with plenty of room it's no problem.

Quick Reply: 2 words: Parkzone VAPOR!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15698 seconds with 11 queries