Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

2 words: Parkzone VAPOR!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:45 PM
gandhimtb

Originally Posted by Maxih View Post
WARNING: ADDICTIVE LITTLE PLANES & MODERATE IMPATIENCE CAN BE COSTLY, KINDA.....

Let me explain. I've had my Vapor for a month or so now & have been having a ball of a time. Recently she started to glitch really badly and eventually stopped binding altogether.. The problem- dead Rx. The complication- Disinterested LHS.
call horizon, they should warranty it.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 AM
Maxih

Thanx, might send em a quick email. Phonecalls from Oz tend to be a little pricey.

Not holding any great hope thought. I wouldn't expect Horizon to take up the slack for a hobby store across the globe, but stranger things have happened i suppose..
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Hi,
Only just found this thread, and would like opinions as to which is best for a newbie crasher?
The Vapor or the Ember?

The latter looks a little stronger?
And will be flying it mostly outdoors (dont have a big enough house).

I need something that I can practice with in a smaller area than the local fields.

Many thanks in advance,
Drew
Old 08-21-2008, 01:44 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Drew, I have both the Vapor and Ember and I fly both outdoors when there is no wind. I really prefer the Ember. Maybe because I have flown it more, but it is very stable and handles air movement better. I have not had occasion to fly the Vapor indoors yet since our facility has been shut down for the summer.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 AM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Drew, I have both the Vapor and Ember and I fly both outdoors when there is no wind. I really prefer the Ember. Maybe because I have flown it more, but it is very stable and handles air movement better. I have not had occasion to fly the Vapor indoors yet since our facility has been shut down for the summer.
Thanks for the reply, I intend using my DX7 for control of one of these little birds.
Was looking at the bind and fly version of the Vapor, but can this still be done for the Ember?

The advert says its 2.4GHz.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 08-21-2008, 11:09 AM
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

The Ember has its own transmitter; and unlike the Vapor and the Blade CX2, the Ember cannot be bound to DSM2 transmitters like the Dx6I or DX7. See Introducing Bind N Fly: http://parkzone.com/Articles/Article...ArticleID=1778 for more and a table of the DSM2 transmitters that can bind to the Vapor.

Note that the DX6 transmitter is not DSM2, so it cannot be used with the Vapor, etc.

Right now the only BNF flying machines available are the Parkzone Vapor and the Blade CX2. I'll bet that many more are in the works!

Hope this helps!
Jim

Originally Posted by drewpyfz6 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I intend using my DX7 for control of one of these little birds.
Was looking at the bind and fly version of the Vapor, but can this still be done for the Ember?

The advert says its 2.4GHz.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by rocket_jim View Post
The Ember has its own transmitter; and unlike the Vapor and the Blade CX2, the Ember cannot be bound to DSM2 transmitters like the Dx6I or DX7. See Introducing Bind N Fly: http://parkzone.com/Articles/Article...ArticleID=1778 for more and a table of the DSM2 transmitters that can bind to the Vapor.

Note that the DX6 transmitter is not DSM2, so it cannot be used with the Vapor, etc.

Right now the only BNF flying machines available are the Parkzone Vapor and the Blade CX2. I'll bet that many more are in the works!

Hope this helps!
Jim
D'oh!
Wish I had seen this earlier, would have gone for the Vapor...
Never mind and thanks for the reply.
Drew
Old 08-22-2008, 02:34 PM
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Has the initial Vapor stampede slowed down?

I asked recently in my LHS. They said they still have Vapors and have not noticed them selling nearly as fast as they did at first.

I have my two, and I hope to hold it down to that!

But realistically should I begin experiencing breakage, another plane for parts would probably make more sense than buying individual parts, especially the receiver brick. But I really cannot complain so far at the prices of individual tail parts, wings, etc. Only one of which I've needed to replace - and that break was caused by accidentally dropping my charger on the stabilizer when the Vapor was in its foam carrier. Now I put the charger in and out using two hands for insurance!

Jim
Old 08-22-2008, 02:45 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Hi Jim,
The Ember arrived this morning - very nice little plane.

Not many sellers in the UK could provide a "bind and fly" version.
And there dont seem to be many advertised.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:13 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Just had a first proper flight - outdoors - in the garden.
No wind... perfect

Struggled to hold it (these things feel so fragile), while trying to get the DX7 at 50% throttle for a hand launch.

So decided to try a ground take off.
My back garden flags (paving stones) are a little too uneven and the gaps are just big enough to fit the tiny wheels down...
3 aborted attempts later and we give up on that idea.

Plan C, launch from the patio table... Yeah!
We are airborne...

Set the throttle to around 50%, and off she goes, reduce a little and we have level flight...

What a great little flier the Vapor is.
If flys really elegantly.

Just charging the battery up again for a second go, and might try to catch some video. Although that could be difficult. (no hat cam... )

Fantastic little plane and can mess around with out having to go to the field.

Top marks and thanks for this thread.
Drew
Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

The last post did not follow on very well, with me saying the Ember had just arrived, then the next one saying I was using the DX7...

Well, I followed Rabbitcreekok, and now have both - may have forgotten to say that. (got the BNF)
Have posted a video of the Vapor here. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38459

So far have had 2 sessions, in very still conditions outdoors with the Vapor and am so pleased with it...

The Ember needs a bigger turning circle than my garden allows, and has a faster speed.
Only flown the Ember once, on the street outside, and it was a little too windy and there are too many trees that want to reach out a grab it.
So will have to find a nice sheltered spot when its calm.

Both are excellent, but have to say the Vapor has been the most fun, simply cause I can play in the garden.

Thanks for this thread for helping me out.

Cheers,
Drew
Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 AM
k_n_browning
k_n_browning

Hey rabbitcreekok when is the next fly time in BigMac.Kevin
Old 09-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by k_n_browning View Post
Hey rabbitcreekok when is the next fly time in BigMac.Kevin
It looks like we will be starting soon, Kevin. I have you on the email list and when I get a date set up, I will let everyone know.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:12 AM
jlaffin

Hi everyone,

Is anyone else having problems with the mylar covering coming unglued from the frame? On my third flight the covering came off the rudder and was flapping around. I glued it back on with CA and then flew it later only for it to happen again. Glued it once again and now during the last flight part of the leading edge of the wing started to come unglued. I'm not very impressed with how easily it seems to fall apart. I e-mailed Hobby Zone and have to hear back from them. Is my Vapor a lemon or is this par for the course?

Julian
Old 09-11-2008, 04:06 PM
soar-ne
Omaha Ne.

I had a couple of places where it came loose also. My grandson was flying it in the garage and hit the door rail hangers and then it spun down into the boat windsheild. Both tips damaged. I put some tiny strips of low tack masking tape on the covering and then used them as tabs to pull the stuff tight and hold it there while the glue dried. I used Pacer Canopy glue but any contact glue should work OK. It is now tighter than it was when it was new.

Bob
Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default Breakages

I haven't had the covering come off but I did have a rudder snap off.

I got a tiny drill and some carbon fiber and CA'ed it all back together and have not had any trouble since.

A little GOOP or Shoe Goo should put the covering back on. You need a flexible glue, not CA. The black CA that is used on RC Cars for the wheels might work good. Contact cement from the hardware store might work too. There used to be a glue called UHU for styrofoam but it has been discontinued.

GOOP & Shoe Goo can be thinned with Tolulene from the hardware store. Be careful since Tolulene can melt some plastics.

You have to remember these are made in China or Taiwan and the quality is not that great. And I have had issues with Horizon in the past; some people rave about the great support from Horizon but I have had both great and lousy support especially concerning my DX7 system resulting in my third mini Ultra Stick.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

UHU Creativ is usually available in hobby stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. UHU Por can be ordered online. I ordered some recently.

I think either one would probably work. Also there is a glue by Liquid Nails called Perfect Glue 1, available at Lowe's or Home Depot that should work.

I have used all of these on foam without any damage. They remain flexible after they cure, which should help with any future tears at the repaired location.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:04 AM
pstrdenver

well I just got home with my Vapor. I may be experiencing some buyers remorse though. It seems oh so fragile.

Livingroom is too small for first flights so I'll wait and take it to the church with me tomorrow to really open her up in a large room.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:57 AM
ontheedge

It seems fragile but it's really not for the most part. Just take a little care while handling it but as for flying and the occassional crash, shouldn't be a problem. It's soooooo light it hardly has any inertia to hurt itself.

I'm sure it can break but I've not had a problem with mine. I even had some pretty good shots to the leading edge that I thought would have broken the carbon sticks for sure, but not a scratch.

Just keep the box out of the sun if you store the plane in the box.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...0&postcount=56

Mark
KIEF 2008
www.keystoneindoor.com
Old 09-27-2008, 01:10 AM
pstrdenver

thanks for the encouragement Edge...I just finished my first flight and I am Oh so pleeeeeased.

This is a delight to fly. It flairs so nice and comes to rest right where you want it.

I'm sold! Looking forward to many more flights.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:31 AM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by pstrdenver View Post
thanks for the encouragement Edge...I just finished my first flight and I am Oh so pleeeeeased.

This is a delight to fly. It flairs so nice and comes to rest right where you want it.

I'm sold! Looking forward to many more flights.
I have to second that - had mine a few weeks now.
At first it seemed so fragile - but its tougher than it looks.
Bounced it off the fence a few times etc and so far no problems.
I did lose the rear tail 'wheel', but soon fixed that.
Also the covering came away on one of the wings, but this was glued back in place with a little UHU.

I have even considered getting another, just for spares - in case they are ever needed.

The Vapor is really fun to fly and in such a small area. Having a real ball with mine.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Drew
Old 09-27-2008, 09:12 PM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by drewpyfz6 View Post
Also the covering came away on one of the wings, but this was glued back in place with a little UHU.

Drew
How much does "UHU" cost and where again can you purchase it?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:52 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by pstrdenver View Post
How much does "UHU" cost and where again can you purchase it?
UHU is pretty common, its just a general purpose glue sold in the UK.
Only a few GBpounds, if that....
See link
http://www.euroffice.co.uk/i/KJ8/UHU...ELAID=90424537

It does smell rather nice too....

Just a very thin trace on the carbon rod and covering does the trick.

Had to use it to repair the Ember, managed to break the front frame that supports the wing...

Hope that helps.
Drew
Old 09-29-2008, 06:12 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default UHU Glue

Some of the UHU line has been discontinued in the US. UHU is distributed by Saunders www.saunders-usa.com.

The UHU that I use a lot is for styrofoam and it is one of the ones that was discontinued. Now I guess it's back to using foam safe CA. This UHU glue also worked really well for other kinds of foam as well.

I use CA for my carbon fiber repairs and UHU to reglue the film on the Vapor. The only thing I have had trouble with on the Vapor is the rudder broke once. The film on the wings has yet to come loose.

Of all the Horizon products the Vapor is the one I have had the least trouble with.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:21 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by caltrop View Post
Of all the Horizon products the Vapor is the one I have had the least trouble with.
Must admit it is pretty resilient.

The tail elevator on the Ember is giving me way more trouble - the thin styro is very easily bent and creased.

Had the tail of the Vapor spin around back on it self once or twice, but a gentle push and it springs back in position.

The wing covering came loose on one side after I grazed the garden fence...

Quick Reply: 2 words: Parkzone VAPOR!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.20523 seconds with 11 queries