Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

2 words: Parkzone VAPOR!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:53 AM
k_n_browning
k_n_browning

ok this plane great but I have a few questions.I got the ready to fly can I bind it to a differnt transmitter?Have to say not real fond of it.And will be looking for a new Tr.And what would make a better charger?I would like something that would charger the vapors battery and be able to charge some small 2 cell packs as well.Thanks Kevin
Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Kevin, I am not sure, but if you can bind it to another transmitter, it would have to be a Spektrum other than a DX6.

The problem with the charger is finding the correct connector and finding a charger that will charge at the low rates. I would suggest purchasing a charger that will meet other needs and using the provided charger for the Vapor.

I will try to get us set up to fly soon. Then we can have Vapor combat.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:32 AM
k_n_browning
k_n_browning

Just did my ama online.got any idea how long it take to get card in the mail?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

You can print put a temporary card online. It usually won't take very long, but you can fly with us as a guest.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Kevin, I am not sure, but if you can bind it to another transmitter, it would have to be a Spektrum other than a DX6.

Does it not work with the DX6?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by DetroitHawk View Post
Does it not work with the DX6?
No, it does not work with the DX6. It only works with the DSM2 transmitters, which includes the CX2 transmitter, the DX6i, the DX7 and others.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:09 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

No, it does not work with the DX6. It only works with the DSM2 transmitters, which includes the CX2 transmitter, the DX6i, the DX7 and others.

Looks like i can use my blade cpx2 trans, for the $$$ this really looks like a fun plane.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 AM
k_n_browning
k_n_browning

The DX6i will bind with the vapor just picked the dx6i up today.And I got the Blade as well that gives me something to fly in the house.Kevin
Old 11-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Rarbit

When the Mylar Covering come loose on the tail. I just used Elmer's White Glue to re-attach it. It just takes a very small amount spread along the frame. This has stood up a couple of months and many flights. Also, I just used a wiping motion with a finger on the Mylar over the frame, to tighten it up before it dried. Worked like a charm.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:10 PM
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Vapor streamer combat anyone?

I stuck one or two short (about 1/4 inch wide by 10 inch long) aluminized Mylar streamers on my two Vapors to identify them vs the other Vapors in our MARS Micro Modelers flying sessions. The other pilots immediately started trying to cut my streamers with their props. No cuts yet, and the Mylar is really tough. Not sure what a prop would do to it. Might just wrap it up.

So I bought three colors of crepe paper yesterday, intending to do some streamer combat with Vapors when we fly again this Thursday.

Anyone worked out a nice width and length for Vapor combat streamers?

Do you use string as a leader, or do you just tape or staple the paper to the tailskid?

I also printed out a double-sided banner yesterday to try to tow behind my Vapor. It's on plain paper. Thinking of just taping it to the skid to keep it upright in flight. May need a tiny paperclip or similar weight on the bottom at the tail end to keep it flying upright instead of twisting.

Will share photos as I try this out.

Anyone beat me to all this?

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vapor_2_streamers_.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	82843   Click image for larger version

Name:	vapor_streamer_.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	82844   Click image for larger version

Name:	vapor_tail_streamer_.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	82845  

Last edited by rocket_jim; 11-05-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old 11-07-2008, 03:03 PM
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default streamer combat not a big "hit" yet

The streamer combat I offered up was not as big a "hit" last night as I had thought. I flew around some with a short crepe paper streamer. But even shortened to about 1/4 inch wide and 3 feet long, it dramatically affected the Vapor performance, pulled the CG way back, acted like a huge pendulum, and made it much less fun to fly. Nobody else tried even one of the streamers I brought.

I also did some flying with a small printed paper banner. Even that little piece of paper really affected the Vapor. Oh well, I tried!

We got another Vapor stuck up on a light fixture. I brought in my casting rod, and Al did an amazing job of "casting for Vapors!" He got it down undamaged and all ready to fly again. The sinker got caught up there, leaving a short glowing broken monofilament line reminder of this daring rescue.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	al_casting_.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	82994   Click image for larger version

Name:	group_photo_.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	82995   Click image for larger version

Name:	ken_.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	82996   Click image for larger version

Name:	rob_.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	82997   Click image for larger version

Name:	scott_.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	82998  

Click image for larger version

Name:	banner_tow_.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	82999   Click image for larger version

Name:	rob_and_don_.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	83000  
Old 11-07-2008, 03:14 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

It would appear a good time was had...

Thanks for the pictures Jim.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:58 PM
swimmer

Default New Vapor Owner

I picked up my new Vapor and a 110mah battery last night. I can't wait to get her in the air. From all the videos I've seen it looks to be a blast to fly. Our church just opened a new gym, 100' x 120' x 24' tall. Should be a perfect place to fly. I set up my DX6i "Model 2" for the Vapor, model 1 is my super cub, and will bind it tonight. I've got an oversize garage where I'll maiden tomorrow unless there are zero wind conditions outside. I hope to have as much fun as the guys in the pictures are having.

I do have a question about the battery charger. How many times can the battery charger charge batteries on four AA batteries?

swimmer
Old 11-14-2008, 04:52 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine - just missing out at the moment as the weather has been too windy or raining and I dont have access to an indoor location.

Enjoy,
Drew
Old 11-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I picked up my new Vapor and a 110mah battery last night. I can't wait to get her in the air. From all the videos I've seen it looks to be a blast to fly. Our church just opened a new gym, 100' x 120' x 24' tall. Should be a perfect place to fly. I set up my DX6i "Model 2" for the Vapor, model 1 is my super cub, and will bind it tonight. I've got an oversize garage where I'll maiden tomorrow unless there are zero wind conditions outside. I hope to have as much fun as the guys in the pictures are having.

I do have a question about the battery charger. How many times can the battery charger charge batteries on four AA batteries?

swimmer
I have not counted but it is a lot of charges. The 110 will use them up quicker. Kevin has put rechargeable batteries in his charger with a charge lead. Seems to work well.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:08 AM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

I have not counted but it is a lot of charges. The 110 will use them up quicker. Kevin has put rechargeable batteries in his charger with a charge lead. Seems to work well.
They recon about 30 charges on the standard AA batteries. Although that can vary.

I bought some 2500mah rechargables, and these are charging well over that before needing a charge themselves.

I also use these in my TX for heli's, planes and now RC cars...

Hope that helps.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 AM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Seems like an age since the last time I flew anything.
The weather has just been rubbish...

Yesterday, managed to get the Vapor out for half an hour.
There were a few challenging thermals knocking around, which would lift it a few feet suddenly - but, had fun.

Question for the 110mah battery users.
I have the MCX heli, which uses the above battery as standard, so my spare batteries really need to be used in both aircraft.

I am thinking of adding a couple of strips of plastic, so there is a similar cage sort of holder as on the MCX.
Because if I add velcro, then the batteries wont fit the MCX.

What have you guys done?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 PM
swimmer

Default Vapor in the air

Got to fly maiden my BnF Vapor Saturday night in our new gym. I had the facility completely to myself so I got to know the Vapor well. All I can say is it is a great airplane and I had a lot of fun with it. After a short take off and some trimming the Vapor addressed every command I threw at it and performed flawlessly. Even after slapping it on the floor, pilot error, several times the Vapor took it in stride without any damage. The 70mah battery provided over 15 minutes flight with the 110mah over 20 minutes. The 70mah battery charged while using the 110mah so I had three sessions of about an hour flight time before packing up. It can fly fast or very slow and the Vapor almost hovers. There is very little noise except for some gear mesh whisper that I could only hear when flying close.

The Vapor is a winner!

Last edited by swimmer; 11-17-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:29 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Got to fly maiden my BnF Vapor Saturday night in our new gym. I had the facility completely to myself so I got to know the Vapor well. All I can say is it is a great airplane and I had a lot of fun with it. After a short take off and some trimming the Vapor addressed every command I threw at it and performed flawlessly. Even after slapping it on the floor, pilot error, several times the Vapor took it in stride without any damage. The 70mah battery provided over 15 minutes flight with the 110mah over 20 minutes. The 70mah battery charged while using the 110mah so I had three sessions of about an hour flight time before packing up. It can fly fast or very slow and the almost hovers. There is very little noise except for some gear mesh whisper that I could only hear when flying close.

The Vapor is a winner!
Fully agree with your comments Swimmer.

Fabulous little plane.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:06 PM
swimmer

Default No Wind in Kansas, temporarily

No wind in Kansas? Well, it happened 11/19/08. Got home from work and went right to flying my Vapor outside. There were occasional small gusts and the Vapor would dive or lift but it would not last long and maintaining control was no problem. When dusk came there was complete calmness and this is when I really had fun with the Vapor. With flying the Vapor at 1/3 throttle most of the time the 110mah battery extended flying time to 26 minutes. Total flying time with three batteries, one 70mah and two 110mah a little was over 1.5 hours. I even got several loops out of her.

Just a lot of fun.

swimmer

Last edited by swimmer; 11-20-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:08 AM
sellonoid

Where are you guys getting the 110mAH batteries? My LHS doesn't seem to have them.

More questions...

Does everybody's charger LED blink in a spastic fashion in between the major blinks?

Do the batteries (70mAH) seem to really get fully charged in 20 or 25 minutes with good, new AA's? Once I forgot I had a battery on charge, and left it charging for about 45 minutes, and it seemed to fly longer. I don't want to overcharge though, so I haven't done that on purpose to see if it really does take more charge.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:34 AM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Hi sellonoid,
Yes, I get the same results - newly charged AA batteries in the charger certainly work quicker.

Leaving them for 45 minutes wont do any harm, it may even have trickle charged a bit more juice in the flight battery.

I have 3 chargers, and they all seem a little different while charging.
Tend to leave the 70mah for 30 minutes, and the 110mah around 40 minutes.

Drew
Old 11-26-2008, 05:01 PM
sellonoid

Originally Posted by drewpyfz6 View Post
Hi sellonoid,
Yes, I get the same results

Drew
Does that mean you get all funny little half blinks and flashes and stuff?

So, the 110mAH batteries are not hard to find? I looked/searched on the ParkZone website and a couple of other googled hobby shops, and I couldn't find the them. I'll just keep looking. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:16 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by sellonoid View Post
Does that mean you get all funny little half blinks and flashes and stuff?

So, the 110mAH batteries are not hard to find? I looked/searched on the ParkZone website and a couple of other googled hobby shops, and I couldn't find the them. I'll just keep looking. Thanks.
Oh, yes!

Same random blinks and flickers etc.

Had a struggle at first finding the 110 batteries here in the UK, but have a reliable source now and not too expensive. (they are listed as MCX batteries).
Old 11-27-2008, 01:57 AM
sellonoid

I went back to the LHS and told him that people are getting the 110mAH batteries with no problem, then he said they must be using the helicopter battery.

I think that is the case, right?

Quick Reply: 2 words: Parkzone VAPOR!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.21912 seconds with 21 queries