3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Build Thread for Rhythm 3D Bipe

Old 05-26-2008, 08:07 PM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by aero_k View Post
Pastor, good build log. Mines done, but I still have to add my electronics. Can you maybe take a few pictures of where you put your ESC and Rx? The little curved piece of foam just under the motor at the nose of the plane came loose on mine too. I'm going to pull it off anyway so I can get at things inside a little easier.

p.s. when taking close-up pictures, try using the "macro" setting on the camera, which is the little flower symbol. It will focus better on close-up shots and they wont be blurry.
Yeah, I will post that later on today or tonight. Thanks for the hint on the photos. The simple things confound the wise.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:10 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

aerok, I put my speed controller below the battery, along with the receiver a little bit farther back. My battery went into the compartment above it. And yes, pulling that piece off in the front will help you get to things, but I also found on noseovers or hard landings on the nose that it helps to have it there. Just some added support.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 PM
aero_k

smitty, did you use velcro to hold them in place?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:59 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

No. Just stuffing the receiver and the speed controller in there was difficult enough. The battery just barely fits for me, but I use a bigger battery and a smaller prop with a not so "umphy" motor.

I love the little magnetic "hood" though. That's awesome!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 AM
pstrdenver

Aero, sorry I haven't been able to post the pics you requested. I will get to them soon. I am away from my things right now.

It sounds like shotgun and I have our electronics in exactly the same place.

My esc battery connector comes up through the space behind the firewall and connects to the battery that is a few inches back towards the tail. The receiver is below the battery one level velcroed to the side. I used velcro on all my pieces but it was a little tricky to get them in place.

Concerning the rounded piece of foam on the nose...when installing the esc I found I needed to cut some of this away. (The rounded part) but left the rest for the support that was mentioned above in shotguns post.

Does this help? Again, I'll post those pics ASAP.

Aero, thanks again for the camera tip.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:35 AM
pstrdenver

Okay, here you go Aero.

The picture of the battery bay shows my esc battery lead coming up through the oval just behind the firewall. The black marker line shows me where the edge of my battery should be and you can see the strip of velcro.

Then the pic of the esc is from underneath and it shows it velcroed to the wall just below the battery compartment.

The RX is on the opposite wall of the rudder and elevator servo. Again velcroed to the wall. I had to use long neddle nose pliers to place it there.

I also am including a picture of some modifications I did in order to acess things easier. I cut out those two big holes so I could get to things better.

Hope these pictures help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0586.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	67238   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0587.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	67239   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0589.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	67240   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0590.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	67241  

Last edited by pstrdenver; 05-27-2008 at 12:38 AM. Reason: forgot to upload pics
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 AM
telemaster

pstrdenver, could you tell me the dimensions of the battery compartment? I need to know if I have to go buy some smaller batts.
Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 03:18 AM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

There was something else that I saw on a video a while back with this exact plane. The guy that was narrating actually cut into the bottom and moved his battery pack there because the vertical COG was off. I don't have access to mine, so maybe the pstr can get you the dimensions on his.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:22 AM
Stanman

Here is a pic of my Rhythm 3D Bipe after repairs from yesterdays
"hard landing" that crushed the lower wing mounts and broke off the top ones.
The wings were untouched as far as damage.

The repairs are not too pretty and it gained some weight,
but it is a lot stronger.

I'll build another when I get done knocking this one around.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FIXED_BYP.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	67262  
Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 AM
telemaster

Originally Posted by shotgunsmitty View Post
There was something else that I saw on a video a while back with this exact plane. The guy that was narrating actually cut into the bottom and moved his battery pack there because the vertical COG was off. I don't have access to mine, so maybe the pstr can get you the dimensions on his.
Video? Where!?!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:19 AM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by telemaster View Post
pstrdenver, could you tell me the dimensions of the battery compartment? I need to know if I have to go buy some smaller batts.
Thanks
The depth of the bay is 1 1/4 while the width is 1 1/2 but the length runs the distance of the fuse. Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:26 AM
pstrdenver

I'm having fits with aileron servos on this bird. I started with a HS-55 and it started slipping. I cut it out and put in a $4 servo from hobbycity, only to have to replace it tonight.

I was on my second pack tonight when the plane just started slowly rolling over. I corrected with aileron but it would roll back. I used the trim tabs and it would roll back. Landed it pretty rough and went to check it out...the stupid servo was turning to its endpoint and jittering.

It is now replaced and repaired. Only this time I took two small pieces of lite ply and made brackets to screw the servos onto so I don't ruin the servo bay trying to get it out.

Other than that love flying this thing.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:45 PM
aero_k

Thanks for the pictures p.d. I went to the post office last ngiht to pick up my shipment with my motors and it wasn't there . I'll have to go tonight I guess. My concern about installing my electronics is that I only have one Rx, so I pull it out of one plane and put it in another one frequently, so I need to be able to get at the Rx pretty easily. I'll figure it out, its just hard to imagine since I'm at work and don't have it in front of my to look at.

Newb question here: what are those connectors called that you guys use on your servo arms to hold the control rod? I really need to get me some of them. I looked on hobbycity for some without any luck.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:55 PM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by aero_k View Post
Newb question here: what are those connectors called that you guys use on your servo arms to hold the control rod? I really need to get me some of them. I looked on hobbycity for some without any luck.
Aero, Dubro makes them. They are called e-z connectors. You'll want the micro size. Here's a link to Dubro's site.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...161.5173.0.0.0
Old 05-27-2008, 06:33 PM
telemaster

Here you go: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...1set&cda=11122
I think these are the micro size, but they have 2 other sizes so you might want to check that out.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:21 PM
aero_k

Awesome, thanks. I might get assorted sizes just in case. I really wish the deans connectors and gold bullet connectors would come back in stock so I can order everything I need. Sorry for the off topic!

Anyone have video of this plane yet?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM
pstrdenver

No video here. I tried once to tape and fly at the same time...one didn't work out.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:58 AM
telemaster

can jst connectors handle 10-14 amps?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 AM
pstrdenver

I have heard that they are only rated to handle 5 amps but I could very well be misinformed. Check with your LHS or their manufacturer.

Just got back from flying two more batteries in the bipe. I flew a 3 cell in it for the first time...WOW this changes everything. I like the extra power an d the verticle you get out of it but I think I really rather fly the 2 cells. They give more smooth lines and gentle flights.

I am not sure what they are called, KE loops or KE circles, where you circle horizontle to the ground in KE. Well I learned to do those tonight but only with the rhythm so far. I am pretty proud of myself. I can do them towards the belly and the back of the plane. Pretty cool looking manuever.

Anyway, just happy as a lark in the park with this plane.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:57 AM
telemaster

I just got my rhythm in the mail today, can't wait to get it into the air. It's my first bipe and it looks great! I'm going to run it on 3s for 3D performance and cause I live at altitude. Unfortunatley, I ordered my electronics from hobbycity so it'll be awhile until they arrive. Glad to hear it's such a great flying airplane!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:07 AM
pstrdenver

I'm all for 3 cell, lots of power, but my two cell 1320mah are great for 3D. There's nothing this plane is capable of that I can't do with the 2 cell.

I did notice tonight that the fuse struts that go into the bottom wing were stressed a little. Maybe as you put it together add some CA to these areas to gain some strength there.

Also, as you build, do not add the doublers to the top of the top wing or bottom of the bottom wing util you have the support rods in and glued.

Enjoy, build right and fly right!
Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 PM
aero_k

Now I'm waiting for my gold connectors and deans plugs to arrive to put on my motor and esc I just got. I would have ordered them with the motors but they weren't in stock. I ordered yesterdya, so they should be here in just over a week I think. I hate having to wait for stuff...

In the mean time, I'm going to install my servos and pushrods. I think I'm going to go with the 9g hxt for ailerons and 5g hxt for rudder and elevator. Ahh, I can't wait to fly this thing. I've been itching to try flying 3D for a long time. Hopefully it will last longer than my "nasty" (about 5 seconds).
Old 05-30-2008, 04:59 PM
pstrdenver

aero_k, I take it there is no LHS near you. That really makes things difficult I bet. At least when you order from hobby city youre getting low prices.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 PM
aero_k

Well, I'm still in school and dont have a car. I would rather just wait a few days and pay 1/4 of the price than take the hour ride on public transit then a 15 minute walk just to pay $5 for one set of deans plugs. My situation also makes it hard for me to join the local flying club. Right now I have to walk to my flying field carrying my planes and tx in my hands. Oh well, its still fun. Before I moved it was a 10 minute bike ride, uphill. Trying riding a bike up hill with a plane in your hand...

I'd like to support local business and I understand its not their fault they have to charge more, but its just not feasible for me at the moment. I stocked up on connectors so I should be good for a while. I'm looking forward to having the connectors so I don't have to do any more soldering. My soldering skills are horrid.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:05 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

I flew mine Wednesday night. I've got a battery that goes pretty quick, I got about 3.5 minutes out of it. When it went dead, though, the BEC on the ESC kicked it into low or half mode and I glided it in and landed it. And in front of people! No walk of shame!

Quick Reply: Build Thread for Rhythm 3D Bipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10476 seconds with 15 queries