3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Build Thread for Rhythm 3D Bipe

Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I usually always land at my feet. Then when people walk up to watch I get jinxed and botch what would be a perfect landing...never fails, onlookers are bad luck to me
Old 05-30-2008, 08:41 PM
bhatch21

I got 2 of these from Hobby People. One is for my flying buddy and its his second Rhythm. I have the Fidget and love how it flies. It is my easiest plane to hover.

My buddies' first Rhythm has all the issues already mentioned: poorly glued fuse, weak motor/battery area, and weak wing mounts. His was a belly lander whose wing mounts broke on a slightly rough landing. I think I'll try the gear and reinforce the area around the wing.

As for power, I'll be using the 2409-18T on 1000 3s packs spinning a 9x3.8. It should give me around 130 watts. I'm guessing my AUW will be 13-14 ozs. I'll get some pics when she's built.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:17 AM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by shotgunsmitty View Post
I flew mine Wednesday night. I've got a battery that goes pretty quick, I got about 3.5 minutes out of it. When it went dead, though, the BEC on the ESC kicked it into low or half mode and I glided it in and landed it. And in front of people! No walk of shame!

Don't you just love it when your equipment makes you look good?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:19 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

nicely done, how bout a vid?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:29 PM
pstrdenver

I wish I could post a video. I don't have anyone with a digital video camera that can do it for me. My phone is 2 megapixel but the plane would get out of its range way too fast.

Sorry
Old 06-01-2008, 05:19 PM
aero_k

I finished installing my servos and control rods in my Rhythm yesterday and noticed a mistake in the instructions that I'm not sure was mentioned before. For the elevator push rod, it says to cut the carbon fiber rod to 5". This is WAY to short. I'm not sure why it says that, but you need at least 12" I think to go from the servo to the elevator horn. Unfortunately, I cut the rod before double checking that it made sense and ended up not having a piece of rod long enough to reach the elevator. I ended up shrink tubing and CA'ing two pieces of CF rod together.

Still waiting to install my motor and esc...
Old 06-01-2008, 11:39 PM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by aero_k View Post
I finished installing my servos and control rods in my Rhythm yesterday and noticed a mistake in the instructions that I'm not sure was mentioned before. For the elevator push rod, it says to cut the carbon fiber rod to 5". This is WAY to short. I'm not sure why it says that, but you need at least 12" I think to go from the servo to the elevator horn. Unfortunately, I cut the rod before double checking that it made sense and ended up not having a piece of rod long enough to reach the elevator. I ended up shrink tubing and CA'ing two pieces of CF rod together.

Still waiting to install my motor and esc...

Good catch. I probably just stuck the rod up to the servo and control horn and eyeballed it. Hope your motor and esc come soon. Your gonna love this bipe!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Video...hm...Maybe, I'll see when I get good weather again. The wind picked up, but has been dying down around 9:30-10:00pm though.

It would be a grainy "camera" video if I do get one posted, though. I wonder if there's any way to secure a tripod mount to my baseball cap......
Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 AM
pstrdenver

well, after a couple of pretty hard landings today on concrete I didn't have any damage to the gear or the wings.

I am sure after many there will be some effect but not so far.

Still very pleased with this "cheap" plane.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:08 AM
telemaster

Just finished building the airframe, and I must say this bipe looks good! There's nothing really difficult during construction, and I didn't have any epoxy or foam safe ca on hand so I assembled the whole thing with hot glue. Without any electronics, the airframe is incredible light, mine came out at 4.5 oz. I'll install the servos tomorrow, but then it's waiting for the motor and batt to arrive from hobbycity.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:07 PM
aero_k

Originally Posted by telemaster View Post
Just finished building the airframe, and I must say this bipe looks good! There's nothing really difficult during construction, and I didn't have any epoxy or foam safe ca on hand so I assembled the whole thing with hot glue. Without any electronics, the airframe is incredible light, mine came out at 4.5 oz. I'll install the servos tomorrow, but then it's waiting for the motor and batt to arrive from hobbycity.
Just make sure you don't cut yout control rods without checking to see if they will be long enough first. The instructions for mine said 5" for the elevator, when its more like 12" or something.

It sucks waiting for parts to be delivered. Hopefully by friday I'll have them and I'll be flying by this weekend...
Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 AM
telemaster

Yeah, I saw that 5" in the instructions but I just eyeballed the correct lengths of all the pushrods. I added the servos today and with all the equipment it added nearly 1oz! Oh well, Ima going to start working on my sr telemaster kit while I wait for the hong kong post to arrive-I did regular shipping so it might take awhile (says 6-30days!).
Old 06-10-2008, 06:20 AM
telemaster

Well, I got my package today and finished the build up: 12.5oz auw with 3s 1000mah ABF lipo and turnigy 28-30 brushless motor. What's weird is that the ABF lipo (rated at 20c or 20amps) came with 22 gauge wire and a jst connector, which I've read is good for maybe 10 amps max. hmmm. I contemplated soldering on deans ultras but I was lazy and I'll fly it with the jst unless it starts heating up.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:21 AM
telemaster

bhatch and aero k, how goes the progress?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:46 PM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by telemaster View Post
Well, I got my package today and finished the build up: 12.5oz auw with 3s 1000mah ABF lipo and turnigy 28-30 brushless motor. What's weird is that the ABF lipo (rated at 20c or 20amps) came with 22 gauge wire and a jst connector, which I've read is good for maybe 10 amps max. hmmm. I contemplated soldering on deans ultras but I was lazy and I'll fly it with the jst unless it starts heating up.
Can't wait to hear how it goes. Your 3 cell is going to give you crazy power.

Once you get comfortable, put her on full throws and see what she can do. Her snap rolls and spins are really good. KE are the best of all my planes but she's my only Bipe, that may have something to do with it.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:33 PM
aero_k

telemaster, what prop are you planning on using with your 2830?

My connectors and stuff finally arrived. I'm picking them up after work and I should have it all done tonight (I hope!) Unfortunately we're supposed to get thunderstorms tonight, so it may not fly until tomorrow. I can't wait to get her in the air. I maidened a scratchbuilt 3d biplane a few days ago and it flew great. I'm hoping for the same or better from this one since its built a little better and is much much lighter
Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM
bhatch21

Telemaster, no progress to report on the build. That's sounds great that yours came in at 12.5ozs. It should float around real nice. I'm picking up a package with an ABF 1000 3s in it today. That's disappointing about the wire though. I will be using a deans on mine. I'll get some eagletree data on it when I get it set up. I'll probably wish I would have just got the LoongMax or Zippy-K or whatever they are now. Maybe I'll have time to start the build this week.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 PM
telemaster

I'm going to start with a 9x4.7sf (10amps) cause I don't want to melt the jst connectors I have. However, if I ever get around to soldering deans ultra onto the battery I'll move up to a 10x3.8sf or 10x4.7sf. It's really windy around here so I might not maiden for a while but I have a telemaster to build so it'll be ok. I'm glad to hear the plane flies so great, I just don't want to maiden it in 20mph winds and destroy it:O
Good luck with the maiden aero, let us know how it goes!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:37 AM
pstrdenver

Default It was bound to happen...

Well, I haven't wrecked my Rhythm but I have had to land it in some rough conditions.

Tonight I landed it just as careful as always, but in grass that wasn't very forgiving. Both legs of the LG broke right where they exit the bottom wing. The carbon fiber just sort of splintered. BOTH LEGS!

Its hollow CF rods. Any suggestions on how to fix this? If needed I'll post pics but simply put, the rods broke where the exit the bottom of the wing at the under wing doubler.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:11 AM
diverdon

Hello , Saw your little problem and wanted to chime in as I have the same plane but haven't flown/crashed it yet .. I noticed the landing gear was seemingly flimsey when I was building it and put a brace on it from the wheel area back to the wing .. Just a small piece of balsa 1/4 X 3/8 glued on with hot glue .. Not pretty but might prevent snapping ..

To fix the damage you might be able to find a piece of something .. Fiber rod - aluminum any type of tubing that will fit over the broken piece .. And just glue them together .. I have not seen how yours is broken but this is just an idea ...... Maybe

I saw the Indiana home on your avaitar .. I am from there originally Indianapolis .. Super nice people from the "Heartland" States you are .. I moved away at 2 yrs old unfortunatually .. But do have the parents from there .. Ok too Long again .. Hope this helps , Don J.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:44 PM
aero_k

Maybe you can find some dowel or CF rod to fit within the tube then glue the halves together with the rod bracing it inside? Maybe just replace the whole tube with dowel?

I finally have my Bipe done! Wind is supposed to pick up this evening (25 kmh), so I'm not sure I'll get to fly. Actually, my motor is spinning backwards so I have to dig out my esc and switch two plugs, but thats no problem and should only take a moment. I'll try to convince my girlfriend to take some video of the maiden if I can...
Old 06-11-2008, 05:17 PM
pstrdenver

Maybe you can find some dowel or CF rod to fit within the tube then glue the halves together with the rod bracing it inside? Maybe just replace the whole tube with dowel?
aero, that's exactly what I did. It came to me after I posted needing ideas. I used CF rod inside the CF tube and gap fill CA. Strong bond and feels just as secure as before.

I hope you get to fly yours soon. Tell your GF that we really want some video, it would makes many of us happy.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:21 PM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by diverdon View Post
I saw the Indiana home on your avaitar .. I am from there originally Indianapolis .. Super nice people from the "Heartland" States you are .. I moved away at 2 yrs old unfortunatually .. But do have the parents from there .. Ok too Long again .. Hope this helps , Don J.
Thanks for your response. I did do similar to what you sugeested with the tubing.

Indy huh? I am from Anderson, just 20 miles North of Indy on I-69. Us hoosiers aren't all that bad.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:15 PM
aero_k

Okay, the wind is supposed to die down tonight so I'm going to try to maiden my Rhythm. Set up is a turnigy 2830 1100kv, turnigy 25A esc, 1047 prop. With a 2s 1200mah pack the AUW is 12oz. I'm nervous, this plane seems so delicate and its so light I feel like the slightest breeze will be the end of her. I took some pictures before the maiden just in case it doesn't come back in one piece...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	69123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	69124  
Old 06-14-2008, 02:46 AM
pstrdenver

Okay, the wind is supposed to die down tonight so I'm going to try to maiden my Rhythm. Set up is a turnigy 2830 1100kv, turnigy 25A esc, 1047 prop. With a 2s 1200mah pack the AUW is 12oz. I'm nervous, this plane seems so delicate and its so light I feel like the slightest breeze will be the end of her. I took some pictures before the maiden just in case it doesn't come back in one piece...
It will actually do quiet well in a breeze. I've flown mine in 5-10mph wind and it holds its own. Not precision but it can deal with it more than you would think.

Quick Reply: Build Thread for Rhythm 3D Bipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10622 seconds with 13 queries