Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

I got the super cub!!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:53 AM
ralph99

Default I got the super cub!!!!

i got the super cub like you guys recommended!!! i will maiden her tom. morningat a baseball feild or a bigger feild if i can find one and i am so exited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i have her built up and all stock and she is BEAUTIFUL!i love the landing gear because its not low quality plastic and its got a sterible tail wheel!!!!(i took it out to my drive way and drove it around...lol and it steers very well!also, i like the the fact it comes with an extra prop! can anyone tell me what kind of floats to get if i want floats??? also, id like to thank frank viokel and leo somthin for your help!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

If the wind is blowing wait till theres none,,,days if you must,,, no wind maid'in flights are a must for newbies or anyone, Not waiting for the "right" conditions doomed many planes!! now the fun part, The wind s are usually clam in the morning!! good luck to you my bub ,I hope you fly her all day ,steve PS floats are doable,,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 777.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	71081   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 428.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	71082   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 075.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	71083   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 116.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	71084  
Old 07-01-2008, 04:29 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hey congrats Raplh! You'll surely enjoy it! Just be patient and take it easy at first.

Good luck on the maiden!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

To back up Steve, I know exactly how you're feeling-really, really anxious to fly it. Seriously, don't take it up unless the wind's almost dead calm. It'll be a much more relaxing flight. If you have to wait a few days, it's worth it.
Also (and this is really tough to get used to as a beginner), make sure that except for during takeoff and landing, the plane stays waaaay up there, above the treetops. This might seem kinda 'scary' but it'll give you more time to react if you do something wrong.
TURN ACT OFF! Hobbyzone says it stands for 'Anti-Crash Technology' but it actually means 'Automatic Crashing Technology'. It works against you.
Good luck, you'll have fun!
Old 07-01-2008, 06:17 AM
blueapplepaste

That's a good choice. And ditto to what everyone else says about the wind. I always try to maiden any plane in virtually no wind. Sometimes that means waiting days, even weeks. I always feel better about it until I "get to know her" and know how much wind and how well the plane will do in it.

But if the wind is virtually dead, then go for it! Look forward to hearing what happens.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 AM
toons
Who, Me, Fly?

ralph99 -

I'm glad to see you went with the Super Cub... it's a great foamie, very durable, and forgiving with altitude. Let us know how your first flight went... enjoy!

- toons
Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM
ralph99

ok im going out at 8 oclock and its 730 and when i get back ill let you all know how it went
Old 07-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Can't add much to what's already been said, but I'll answer your question regarding floats.

The GWS floats are perfect and very affordable at around $10.00. They're actually designed for the GWS Beaver, but with a little ingenuity you can easily adapt them to your cub. The photos in SteveCooper's post are the GWS floats. Also, the plane in my Avatar is on GWS floats.

You should definitely take the above advice regarding waiting for the perfect day to fly. The SuperCub is a light plane with very light wing loading and a fairly "dirty" airframe. For your first flights, no more than about 2-3 mph of wind, but dead calm is best if you've got the patience to wait for it. You'll usually find that you can find the calmest air an hour or so after sunrise or an hour or so before sunset. The 'cub can handle a bit of wind with an experienced pilot at the sticks, but it'll be a death sentence for a beginner.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 PM
ralph99

thanks gnasher, and before i go can anyone tell me what the little stack is above the throttle??? thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Are you talking about a little button? That's Hobby Zone's X-Port. There's a number of modules that can be attached to that little loop on the battery compartment and plug into the little connector there on the bottom of the plane. The button on the transmitter triggers them.

The two popular modules are the "drop module" which can drop bombs and parachutes, and the "sonic combat" module that allows you to dogfight with someone who's got the same module.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 PM
ralph99

thanks for letting me know that! one more thing how exacctly do you dogfight with rc planes
Old 07-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Originally Posted by ralph99 View Post
thanks for letting me know that! one more thing how exacctly do you dogfight with rc planes
Well, you fly around the sky and try to shoot each other down.

I think what happens with the "sonic combat" module is that when you score a hit, it cuts out the motor for a few seconds on the other plane.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:12 PM
ralph99

i flew it! it was.......AMAZING i could loop and fly it easily and boy was it a blast! i dint crash even once! and i could land it very smooth!!!BUT my friend just wanted to watch but he wanted to try to just take off, i showed him how and he just froze when he tried and crashed very hard! the prop broke and the wing got a small tear on the end but i need to know how to change the propeller???do i pull it off and push it on???
Old 07-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

i flew it! it was.......AMAZING i could loop and fly it easily and boy was it a blast! i dint crash even once! and i could land it very smooth!!!BUT my friend just wanted to watch but he wanted to try to just take off, i showed him how and he just froze when he tried and crashed very hard! the prop broke and the wing got a small tear on the end but i need to know how to change the propeller???do i pull it off and push it on???
First, you will need to take off the spinner (the black cone in front of the prop). This is just a push-on part ... they add a little adhesive, so you'll need to twist and pull a bit to get it off.

Once that is off, there will be a nut holding the propeller on. Simply back off this nut and pull the propeller off the shaft.

Once the prop is off, turn on the transmitter, and connect your flight battery ... you need to make sure the prop shaft is not bent. Run the motor up, and make sure the shaft spins true. If there's a noticeable wobble, you may be able to straighten it by bending gently. If it's more pronounced, the prop shaft should be replaced.

When putting on the new propeller, you'll notice there's a hex-shaped recess on the hub. This goes over the second nut you'll see once you get the prop off (toward the plane itself). Then simply put the nut back on and tighten it snugly (but don't overdo it), and push the spinner back on. It should stay on just fine.

As for the tear on the wing ... some packing tape ought to do the job nicely.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

Great job on the first flight! Great feeling, isn't it?

On my first prop snap on the SuperCub, I had trouble getting the nut off of the shaft. You'll see a bunch of white gunk (Chinese glue) on the shaft, this makes it tougher to get the nut off. You just have to muscle it through the gunk.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:44 PM
ralph99

thanks to you both
Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

congrats Ralph!

one tip to give you... don't let your friendfly it anymore!

That's too bad that happened after you had such a succesful first outing. You should be able fix her up poretty good with the advice already provided.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
one tip to give you... don't let your friendfly it anymore!
The best advice you've received so far. The best way to keep your good friends as good friends is offer to teach them to fly their OWN Super Cub!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
ralph99

ill definatly take you guys advise!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 AM
blueapplepaste

Or if you let them fly it, don't let them take off as their first experience!! Get it up real high so if they goof, its all good. But congrats on the maiden!!

The first time is the best time. So enjoy it!
Old 07-02-2008, 03:21 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

d

Last edited by ministeve2003; 03-27-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 AM
ralph99

k thanks!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:19 AM
ralph99

on an rcgroups tread it said you shoulnt fly the supercub if you were unger 15 years old.......im 12!and i can fly it easily!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:27 AM
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

on an rcgroups tread it said you shoulnt fly the supercub if you were unger 15 years old.......im 12!and i can fly it easily!

Im 32 and I can't fly mine. Well done Ralph. If youve got it, you got it. Congradulations.

Cheech
Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 AM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

Yeah, the 'age limit' is total bullcrap. I maidened my Cub when I was 13, there's no age limit. You see 8-9 year olds at the field flying better than their dads; once you get a good grasp on motor skills (and a bit of maturity) there's no reason you can't fly.

Quick Reply: I got the super cub!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10484 seconds with 17 queries