Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Old 12-06-2008, 04:47 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Hey Ed, does this article exist on a thread of it's own? i'd like to save (and print) it.

Every post has a number, in the right hand corner. If you click on that number you will get a screen with just that post. That should be what you need.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Pig

I received one of these as an early Christmas gift. I'm really looking forward to getting this up in the air soon. The descriptions and vids of gliders is just way too appealing to me. So yes, I am definitely one of those people who like the idea of flying for an hour or more on one battery.

I've opened up the box, taken inventory and am rather impressed overall. Of course, I've removed all the stickers in preparation for some painting. I'm not doing any major paint job, just something quick easy and light that's easy to see at a distance. I'll show it off when done.

Anyway, I digress...I've been wondering about the lack of ailerons. Based on the design, I know they're not really necessary but am wondering how much of an effect on control they would really have? Does it truly matter with something like this?

BTW, I have no intention of adding them, just curious about the design. I'm a newbie at gliders and other than just paint, have no desire to modify anything.

Any reports on how they fly? I saw the one post about them, but I'm curious about other experiences. I'm looking forward to flying, if only the weather would cooperate.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Radian Has Very decent tail surfaces for nice manuvering, ailerons really not needed here..<>..

I started rc years ago with sailplanes, never tire flying these, so docile inflight and majestic in the air are hard to beat..Radian, this puppie indeed floats as you will hear many verify, it will go right up with authority with heavy throttle, I prefer gentle 1/2 throttle checking for themals even in December ! My friend flys competive sailplanes for contesting, and he was very impressed with the handling of the Radian, after checking it out and putting the transmitter down on the ground in a gentle circle he had it trimmed to fly by itself without a pilot, gads, he replied Warren this is the best plane you have todate, I have to agree..you won't be sorry with this one, amazing flyer..just in today in frigid 15 temps, flew the radian just under and hour and darn thing found lift, finally came down, with practice you can land it about anywhere but suggest a larger field with its long glide at least during the maiden flights...handling is great the tail surfaces are plenty for snug circling, sure ailerons might improve things but the tail has rather larger area for excellent control...your going to really enjoy it..BEST

Clue on flying these slow beauties, they have abit of a delay before responding to your stick inputs, go easy at first till you can fly ahead of it, be ready to downstick some on launch the nose goes right up even with half throtte, try not to let her turn till elevations, I find my setting is slightest down elevator especially during launch, battery about 90 percent inserted on mine for my preference of COG, each have their own, my competive friend thought mine was slightly nose heavy, many fly slightly towards the tail on the balance but not too much to make it unstable...your choice...BEST

Last, how does it fly, wow, like a dream, terrific...<>..and its long glide is off the charts, had some winds flying with a friend, clear at the other end of the field way below tree level, was zing zagging to lose altitude, he kept saying you can bring her home now, even at this long distance with breezes going on against the wind, it not only made it back but nearly passed us on touch down, its listed as a sport plane but lord, about the closest thing you'll find near a competive sailplane, thermals in very light lift...a winner indeed...<>..

Last edited by phillipmorris; 12-13-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:36 AM
Pig

Awesome, thanks for the info. All I need now is the time and weather to fly.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:41 AM
BigB
ATC to Pilot

Just got mine a few days ago!!!

EVERYONE NEEDS ONE - ITS AWESOME!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:52 AM
xAaron

I agree with BigB. Received mine for Christmas and finally flew it today for the first time. A very nice aircraft. It flies very well. Stays up for a long time. I found the landings to be very easy since you can bring it in nice and slow. Love it!
Old 01-05-2009, 02:43 AM
BigB
ATC to Pilot

Default Hand Landing

Yup - this thing is sooooo much fun, and easy to fly!

Yesterday, in a small field, I was afraid the gravel might scratch the foam, so I was able to glide it toward me slowly at 10% throttle to slow it down, and flew it right into my right hand..

Didn't even touch the ground... Perfect "hand landing" on the 6th flight ever!!!

All I need is some good paint, some stencils, and stickers, and you'll see the San Diego Chargers Glider!!!

And I'm going to add a 2100mah battery..
Old 01-05-2009, 04:29 PM
rubberducky

hello,
i have a Kyosho Hype "Relax" ... it is the same airplane (both made in the same manufactory in china). Sometimes named "Elbatros" so by BMI...

It flys very well, but i changed the rc-receiver/transmitter to 2,4GHz
and changed the rudder (directly servos in the wing)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HYP018-1000.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	89340  

Last edited by rubberducky; 01-05-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by rubberducky View Post
hello,
i have a Kyosho Hype "Relax" ... it is the same airplane (both made in the same manufactory in china). Sometimes named "Elbow" ...

It flys very well, but i changed the rc-receiver/transmitter to 2,4GHz
and changed the rudder (directly servos in the wing)
You provided no link to information about this glider. However from you photo, this is NOT similar to the Radian. Your glider has ailerons. It does seem somewhat similar to the Icon Hawk, but not similar to the Radian.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:11 PM
rubberducky

hello AEAJR,
you are right ... the radian has no ailerons ... thats a little difference
i think the are all china copies of the easy glider ... they look all similarly
Old 01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Ailerons? That's a big difference.

It is also not likely made out of Elapor ( Easy Glider ) or Z foam ( Radian ). The Chinese copies I have seen are made of EPO, which I do not consider equal to the others.

There is a good chance the air foil is different giving different flying characteristics.

The Spar system may also be different giving a different "feel" to the wing.

The wing loading may be different which will also change the performance.

If it is like the Icon it has a completely different hinge system which worked very poorly on the two examples I had.

We know nothing about the motor in yours so we can't assume it is the same motor or ESC as in the Radian. That could be a huge difference.

We know from your post that the radio systems are very different.

Unless you have a detailed comparision, never assume that, just because two planes look somewhat alike that they are the same. The value of a package can be look at as the sum of the parts. The performance of the package is how those parts are selected, matched and implemented. Put in different parts and you get different performance. Put them in in a different way and you get different performance. In some cases they could be wildly different.

I make no judgement as to which is better, only to point out that they are definately NOT the same plane and it is wrong to suggest they are.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:09 PM
rubberducky

Put in different parts and you get different performance. Put them in in a different way and you get different performance. In some cases they could be wildly different.
----------
that is absolutly right ...

so i often change some things in my airplanes ... by a checklist in my head ... before the first flight. there is sometimes a difference by the quality...and a difference in the price. I get my Relax for 40 Dollars with motor, ESC and Servos.
The Radian costs more than 100 Dollars. I will be a better quality airplane ...
(but that's off topic in this thread...)
Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Put in different parts and you get different performance. Put them in in a different way and you get different performance. In some cases they could be wildly different.
----------
that is absolutly right ...

so i often change some things in my airplanes ... by a checklist in my head ... before the first flight. there is sometimes a difference by the quality...and a difference in the price. I get my Relax for 40 Dollars with motor, ESC and Servos.
The Radian costs more than 100 Dollars. I will be a better quality airplane ...
(but that's off topic in this thread...)
I won't argue that, as I don't know. But it is not the same plane. The Radian is a specific body with specific components packaged in a specific way. If it is purchased any other way, it is not a Radian.

You said your plane was the same airplane as the Radian. What you purchased is something different. Maybe better, maybe not, but it is clearly not a Radian. To say it is the same plane, is simply incorrect.

That was my whole point. It should never have even been introduced into this discussion, which is about the Radian.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:37 AM
rubberducky

hello,
-------
HEAT AND ESC FAILURE
Anyone having a problem with the ESC? One of our club members just got a Radian. We had it out flying one day, around 50 degrees. Longest motor run was probably 2 minutes. The next time he tried to start the motor it would not work. Horizon thinks the ESC failed.
-----------

Take a look in the Radian how the ESC is glue in.
We had a problem with the ESC in the Parkzone T-28 because the ESC is fixed in the plane by a white color rubber-glue at the side which had to cool the electronic.
We remove the glue from the ESC and it runs very well.

May be Parkzone did it also in the Radian.

jürgen
Old 01-06-2009, 02:57 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

hello,
-------
HEAT AND ESC FAILURE
Anyone having a problem with the ESC? One of our club members just got a Radian. We had it out flying one day, around 50 degrees. Longest motor run was probably 2 minutes. The next time he tried to start the motor it would not work. Horizon thinks the ESC failed.
-----------

Take a look in the Radian how the ESC is glue in.
We had a problem with the ESC in the Parkzone T-28 because the ESC is fixed in the plane by a white color rubber-glue at the side which had to cool the electronic.
We remove the glue from the ESC and it runs very well.

May be Parkzone did it also in the Radian.

jürgen
Thanks for sharing this valuable information. I would not have suspected this.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Guys, what is the glue used on the Radian. I seem to think it is regular CA with kicker, like the Easy Glider.

What are you using?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
rubberducky

--------
That is when the plane comes ARF from the producer ... with ESC and BL-Mot inside

it looks like the white rubber sealing compound which is used to seal boats and caravan..flexibel as rubber but glues very fast
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Guys, what is the glue used on the Radian. I seem to think it is regular CA with kicker, like the Easy Glider.

What are you using?
I'm using the E-Flite brand foam-safe CA & kicker. It's worked great so far for the small wing repairs I've made due to landing in the large unmowed field I fly at.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:39 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Any flight updates? Loving the Radian?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:03 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Believe the masses especially north are waiting for better weather condtitions..but for those that don't know any better and fly anyway, today I flew the Radian at work during my lunch break as currently having less wind, infact near calm....only 15 minutes to fly launched it easily and elevation was only about half altitude as takes this darn thing several minutes to lose height even in zero lift...was aggressive on take off with more time I fly less throttle, but gave it 2/3rds or more and it stands up like a rocket, balancing act to keep things straight, leveled but with gray sky low contrast lost orientation long enough for it to do a quick loop, pretty but wasn't my idea, hi hi... leveled and toured the sky like an eagle, flew out several blocks, never tire flying these easy gliders, and the Radian is a treat...running out of time it gradually lost altitude and coming in was going for a pavement landing as again has these neat skids, but could tell it was slightly high so brought it down but scuffed a small packing of snow, up she goes and wasn't lined up for the road so let it drift towards my car, passed just inches from my trunk and came to a stop only a few feet from the vehicle, nice landing...back intime to finish a quick snack before work, hi hi...

We did hit a nice lift on Sunday just before noon, near a boomer, was over 15 minutes and up so high I purposely left the lift zone, as forgot the binocs, hi hi...its indeed a winner..the landing kept zig zagging to lose altitude and lined it up on decent, landed right on my shoe laces as steped aside as it did the feather touch down, great...BEST ..<>..

Added note:
I do fly in rather crowded areas, not suggested obviously because of liability issues, Walmart busy paking lot and Culvers, use a small open area near a Harley Shop as narrow field if needed for longer glide landing, it certainly does draw attention at times, last week picking up a Culvers a young gal blinked at me as giving my order, Hey Are You The Guy Flying, Wow, Thats Really Neat...I Love It !! hi hi...

Last edited by phillipmorris; 01-28-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:34 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Finally ordered one after thinning out my hangar. Have not received it yet but look forward to a successful first flight based on all of the positive posts here.

Clint
Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Clint

Sure you will enjoy yours, it has this magnificent long glide, so take heed and have plenty of room on the maiden flight tho I see you've had lots of rc flying experience...

Another note at least have the elevator flush, mine is very near flush with slightest down, it zings up even just over half throttle, watch that nose as can turn on the inexperienced flyers at low altitude, simply ready for downsticks..

Again those with less flying, Radian can rollercoaster on you with wrong sticks or trims going on, reason slight down elevator isn't a bad idea and highly suggested...

I find it flys very predicatable with correct trims and COG, another note do advise abit of nose heavy, this puppie will still give the super glide while more forgiving inflight...

They call this a sport sailplane but lordy, yet to find anything out of the box even close to this one, its really that impressive...

I understand at least part of the design on the Radian was from competive sailplane pilots, manufacture wisely finished with an awsome entry glider, WOW !!!

It nearly qualifies for the raw beginner, however the super glide and brushless motor, still strongly advise an experienced sailplane pilot on the maidens.

I do have the larger Ventura Glider, not close to the Radian, but certainly a fun flyer, nothing unusual with this one but does snap turn with wrong sticks and slightly fast for a glider, drops rather fast to me losing altitude, but in stronger lifts it certainly goes up...

Easy Star Glider, wonderful ship, not the performance of the Radian but this one is amazingly predictable inflight and will thermal with ease in medium lift, infact stick my neck out and suggest this one prior to taking on the Radian for the newcomer, unless he's smart enough to have assistance with a veteran sailplane flyer...

BEST WARREN...<>..
Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

I have Ventura (smaller/higher wing load) and a built up Balsa 2M (weighs in at over 48 ounces) and am looking forward to flying a lighweight, more durable 2M.

Note: My first bad experience with electric RC planes was with an underpowered 2M electric glider. The biggest problems were lack of power and fragile balsa contruction - both solved with the Radian.

Clint

Last edited by cbatters; 01-28-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:57 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Yep, Radian has plenty of power, are threads warning of long duration at full throttle, really not necessary as will gain altitude swiftly, again is a note in the instruction manual cautioning of prolonged full throttle, if you fly it as its designed, a glider, no issue..<>..

Radian is rather durable, did have mine drop several feet from a small tree as brushed to close to it, only cracked one section of wing, glue would be the right repair, but clear tape also works very well, have a replacement set of wings, yet to be used...

Landings are something else if your not use to one with such a long glide, keep circling and circling the field eventually loses altitude for touch down, keep that nose level and its a breeze to bring in, beware of the ground effect when it gets lower as with most planes but even more evident with the prized Radian, I still gasp as it makes a long pass only inches from the surface, beauty...BEST ..<>..
Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Received Radian today. Very nice looking plane. Only out of the box concern is that the plane looks like it would become invisible against a bright sky with fluffy white clouds.

Impressed with construction, weight and power.

Hoping to maiden this wekend.

Clint

Quick Reply: Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12948 seconds with 12 queries