Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Received Radian today. Very nice looking plane. Only out of the box concern is that the plane looks like it would become invisible against a bright sky with fluffy white clouds.

Clint
You are right Clint. Paint the bottom of the wings and h-stab a dark color. The bottom of all my glider wings are either black, dark blue or red. They all go black at height.

An added benefit is the contrast between top and bottom helps with orientation.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
You are right Clint. Paint the bottom of the wings and h-stab a dark color. The bottom of all my glider wings are either black, dark blue or red. They all go black at height.

An added benefit is the contrast between top and bottom helps with orientation.
I regret this plane was not available when I first attempted RC electric 2M gliders 14 years ago. I had no problem with a high start 2M foam glider but repeatedly crashed my ElectraSoar Glider on climb out. (Power was so anemic I would stall it as I tried to climb before getting to the end of the field lined by trees.)

Lighter plane, lighter electronics, BL motor, MUCH better batteries - I am confident this bird will be a joy to fly.

Clint
Old 02-07-2009, 06:51 AM
firebird
New 2 RC

Hi Radian flyers! I am new to r/c but after reading and viewing all about this bird, I went out and purchased one (rtf) recently. I have been training on a SkyFly and lots of sim during bad weather. I read the suggestion about painting the wings a dark color--makes a lot of sense but not sure what type to use. The hobby store suggested reflective tape, but I think paint sounds better. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-07-2009, 11:38 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by firebird View Post
Hi Radian flyers! I am new to r/c but after reading and viewing all about this bird, I went out and purchased one (rtf) recently. I have been training on a SkyFly and lots of sim during bad weather. I read the suggestion about painting the wings a dark color--makes a lot of sense but not sure what type to use. The hobby store suggested reflective tape, but I think paint sounds better. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul
Welcome to the hobby and the fun. The Sky Fly is a great first plane. I started on an Aerobird myself.

paint is better than tape from the point of view that tape can sometimes peel away causing drag. Paint might chip or flake but it won't hang out in the air stream.

The best thing to use is one of the water based spray paints. I think Krylon has one. Keep the coats light. You want to avoid building up a lot of weight.

Use a glossy black, red, blue. Some people like to use hot colors like hot pink, hot orange, and the like.

Tape the leading edge so you have a clean line between the top and the bottom. This will help with orientation. The top will be white and the bottom dark. Now you can really see the orientation of the wings.

The one paint I recommend against is Rustoleum. This is a very heavy paint and it dries very slowly.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:28 AM
firebird
New 2 RC

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll get on it asap. Can't wait to test her out!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Gohmer
Banned

Anyone test their Radian with a wattmeter yet? I'm getting my P&P ready and getting 190 watts at 16 amps with a 2100mah TP.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:38 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I have not as my wattmeter has different connectors on it as compared to what comes on the Radian. However, based on the full throttle comb, 190 watts seems about right, but you must be pulling more than 16 amps on a 3 cell pack.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:58 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I have not as my wattmeter has different connectors on it as compared to what comes on the Radian. However, based on the full throttle comb, 190 watts seems about right, but you must be pulling more than 16 amps on a 3 cell pack.
Assuming the LIPO pack was fully charged, this would work out to ~11.9V under load which would suggest .044 ohms internal resistance which seems like a reasonable ballpark ISR for the pack.

Clint
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Clint, clearly you are correct.

For a quick test on a full pack, it can probably sustain that voltage for a little while, especially if it is a 20C pack only pushing 16 amps.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:30 AM
Mini14gb

I originally bought the ParkZone Radian (I still have the Radian) as a second plane but decided to make the cheaper Super Cub my first 3-channel flyer. A couple months of practice and that Radian will hit the skies. Its tough looking at it setting idle as I head out to the field but I donít want to smash it up. Also on the way is a Vapor, which should be here tomorrow!! I work in a large industrial facility with lots of open indoors flying at my fingertips everyday. Yes, it OK I won't get fired.

I did happen to notice that the radio that came with my Radian has the rudder on the throttle stick and the elevators on the right side. Is there anyway I can get both on the right stick??
Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Mini14gb View Post
I originally bought the ParkZone Radian (I still have the Radian) as a second plane but decided to make the cheaper Super Cub my first 3-channel flyer. A couple months of practice and that Radian will hit the skies. Its tough looking at it setting idle as I head out to the field but I donít want to smash it up. Also on the way is a Vapor, which should be here tomorrow!! I work in a large industrial facility with lots of open indoors flying at my fingertips everyday. Yes, it OK I won't get fired.

I did happen to notice that the radio that came with my Radian has the rudder on the throttle stick and the elevators on the right side. Is there anyway I can get both on the right stick??

Just move the rudder servo to the aileron position on the receiver. (I forget if it is channel 1 or 2)
Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Both the rudder and elevator should be on the right stick on a plane sold in North America. As clint said, you just change the slot where the rudder is plugged. the receiver should have a slot marked aileron.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:41 AM
CygnusX1

Hi fellas, been a while since I posted. Just wanted to comment on the overheating ESCs. I don't have a Radian but I have an EGE that I converted to brushless. In order to keep the ESC and fuse interior cool, I opened up the vent holes a bit, but even more effective was to prop the rear of the canopy up about 1/16". This leaves a thin gap around the canopy base and greatly helps to draw the heat out of the fuse.

I also use this trick on my ASW-28 2.5M sailplane.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:52 AM
Mini14gb

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Just move the rudder servo to the aileron position on the receiver. (I forget if it is channel 1 or 2)

Thanks for the help guys I got it done with your advice. Sorry if my questions are so rookie in nature but thats what I am, a rookie.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:42 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Mini14gb View Post
Thanks for the help guys I got it done with your advice. Sorry if my questions are so rookie in nature but thats what I am, a rookie.
No need to be sorry. Wattflyer is a great place where people enjoy helping each other.

Clint
Old 02-15-2009, 01:40 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Trying to remember the details of my Maiden Flight with the Radian and I've flown many 2meter sailplanes especially years past, I had the battery too far in, check the COG mine is slightly nose heavy with all the larger emblem of the lipo exposed and a tad more, I had it inserted all the way touch tail heavy, flight went straight up on hand launch with just over half throttle, kept needing loads of down stick to keep things flying, still turned on me at low altitude, then even went into a rollercoaster but was able to smooth with some down trim, after altitude flew rather well, was not prepared for this forever landing, it glided an eternity and believe I settled for downwind touchdown....elated on the performance of this one chose slightest down elevator and its stayed that way since, if I learned anything since the maiden flight it needs absolutely no up elevator at all, at least level, even low throttle it will stand right up on the nose with improper stick, use a very larger area on the initial flights, some mention a football field is too small and for starters are perhaps right, hi hi..you'll be impressed with this bird and it responds well in the lighter lift zones, its a winner indeed...I'm still amazed on its performance...BEST ..<>..

Pssst, maybe Parkzone hid helium in the wings somewhere, yet to locate but explains this long floating feature, rather clever of them
Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 PM
blunight

AEAJR,
Just wanted to say thanks for recomending this plane, it's a blast! I had it out for the first time this season, it was a beautiful day but the ground was covered with wet snow and deep puddles making landing a bit dicey.
I caught a thermal on my last flight of the day but had to cut it short because my son (6 yrs old) became tired of flying and wanted to go home
Here is a screen shot of my altimeter reading for the flight.
Take care and thanks again for answering all my questions
Trent
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
screenshot.pdf (42.9 KB, 347 views)
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Glad you like it. Next time send us a shot of your son flying the plane.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

This plane really seems to be growing in popularity. We have 4 in our club now.

Nice job Parkzone.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 AM
toons
Who, Me, Fly?

Went on-line to buy the Radian today, and here's what I ran into:
Radian RTF (comes with DX5e, AR500 receiver, and 11.1V, 1300mAh Li-Po battery).
= Total $249.99
As I already have a DX7 radio I would opt for:
Radian PNP $159.99, AR6200 receiver $79.99, 11.1V, 1300mAh Li-Po battery $35.69 = Total $275.97.
The PNP would cost me about $26.00 more!
(Could save a few bucks if I used an AR500 receiver ($59.99), but the cost is still $6 more.)
Trying to remember why I bought a DX7!?!! - or - Why don't they sell a PNP model?
Maybe I can sell the DX5e and break even!!!

Just venting... What do you think?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:34 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

PNP is for 72 MHz pilots. For Spektrum pilots it is better to buy the RTF. Use the DX5 as a buddy box or as a back-up radio.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:07 AM
toons
Who, Me, Fly?

AEAJR... you're absolutely right! Thanx.

(oops!!! Should have said BNF instead of PNP :o)
Old 05-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Yaldy

I recently moved to Chicago (the "Windy City") and love my Parkzone Radian because it can handle the wind. My other electrics struggle and I've crashed many a good plane because of this.

Sadly, I recently crashed my Radian because I was frustrated with a few prior crashes and wanted to fly something that day. I grabbed my trusty Radian, put the wings on, fired up the motor, and sent her aloft.

She climbed great until I saw the wings bend and "V" upwards 5 seconds into the flight at about 50 feet. I tried to bring it back down immediately but gravity was already assisting me and it crashed as the wings fluttered down...

Well, in case you had not already guessed, in my frustration and rush to fly something, I did not put the spar in the wings. Shame on me and the Radian was trashed.

On a more positive note, I was amazed (at my stupidity) and the construction of the Radian as I took it apart to salvage the electronics. Although it appears to be made of average styrofoam construction - it is pretty durable.

Don't fly this without the spar and it is a great plane. I quickly bought another one!
Old 05-10-2009, 04:23 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Yaldy View Post
I

On a more positive note, I was amazed (at my stupidity) and the construction of the Radian as I took it apart to salvage the electronics. Although it appears to be made of average styrofoam construction - it is pretty durable.

Don't fly this without the spar and it is a great plane. I quickly bought another one!
There is no Styrofoam in the Radian. It is Zfoam
Old 05-10-2009, 05:04 AM
Yaldy

Thanks AEAJR. Glad to hear from Long Island - I grew up in Port Jefferson. Where does the LISF fly? Lots of farms here west of Chicago but lots of wind. I'm slowly converting to a glider pilot. Good luck back East and enjoy the summer!

Quick Reply: Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17157 seconds with 12 queries