Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Old 05-10-2009, 05:15 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Oh, an old Long Island boy? If you ever come back for a visit, let me know.

We fly in Syosset, across from the High School. www.lisf.org
Old 05-10-2009, 08:08 PM
mrsand

Default RADIAN motor won't start

RadianFlyers

I resently have been flying the Radian and enjoying learning to find and ride themals here in west Florida.

I may have misstepped the startup procedure and turned on the battery before the transmitter. I cannot get the motor to turn on now. I now turn on the fully charged trans., plug in the fully charged lipo..the control servos work but the motor won't turn on....it sounds like its arming with the signals but repeated trys are the same. I've done this over and over.... Anyone with ideas!!

MrSand
Old 05-11-2009, 03:55 AM
Cactus521

Originally Posted by mrsand View Post
RadianFlyers

I resently have been flying the Radian and enjoying learning to find and ride themals here in west Florida.

I may have misstepped the startup procedure and turned on the battery before the transmitter. I cannot get the motor to turn on now. I now turn on the fully charged trans., plug in the fully charged lipo..the control servos work but the motor won't turn on....it sounds like its arming with the signals but repeated trys are the same. I've done this over and over.... Anyone with ideas!!

MrSand
Make sure your trim for the throttle isn't inadvertently set high. I set mine as low as it will go, then I zero my throttle. I turn on the radio, plug in the battery and wait until the second series of beeps, then I am good to fly.

Regards,

John
Old 05-12-2009, 02:18 AM
mrsand

Default radian motor problem solved

thanks cactus521.

..I found out...make sure the thottle trim is set at its lowest after turning on the trans...then I rebinded the receiver and transmitter...all is well

mrsand
Old 05-25-2009, 03:23 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Default Radian Maiden Flight

Unbelievable! Maidened the Radian this AM and all I have to say is AMAZING!

Some details:

Calm sunny morning - winds ~3-5 MPH.

Ground checked all of the conenctions and linkages and set all of the controls to neutral.

Hand tossed the plane and was surprised how good the trim was and also impressed at the light wing-loading. (As I went to flare the landing, the Radian jumped up almost 6' and then I had to reset for the landing. Stall speed is amazingly low.)

I normally do a half dozen hand tosses to trim the plane but this went so well I decided to power up to 50% throttle and get it up in the sky. During climb out I added ~4 clicks of down elevator to keep the nose down. Took it up to ~200 and cut the throttle.

To say this plane is gentle and floats would be the understatement of the year. It is truly amazing.

This plane is EXACTLY what I was expecting my first RC flight experience to be when I launched my 2M Electrasoar into the air 15 years ago. What a difference foam contruction, carbon reinforcement, LIPO batteries, BL motor, larger prop and much lighter servos/radio have made. (52 oz AUW versus 32oz and much more thrust to boot)

Headed back to the field now for another flight.

Clint

PS: The only negative flight characteristic I noticed is that it tends to get nose high during climb out at full throttle. You need to add some down elevator to keep the nose down if you want to do a full power climb out.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:51 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Have any of you Radian Lovers tried flying contests with your Radians? If not, here is a format you might try. IT is referred to as X5J. ere is a like to the discussion.
http://www.lisfsoar.proboards.com/i...isplay&thread=3

The link is to the forum board of our club. the format is explained and there is some discussion about the contest format, but I am going to copy the rules here. We did not develop this format, but I can tell you we are having fun flying the fun contest.

X5J CONTEST RULES

1. Any electric powered sailplane or other electric aircraft can enter the contest. Any battery arrangement is acceptable.

2. The number of rounds will be set by the Contest Director with a minimum of four (4) rounds needed to declare a valid contest and the norm being 5 rounds.

3. Flight times per round will also be set by the CD and can vary from round to round. One point is scored per second of flight time and one point deducted for each second over the target flight time. Flight time starts when the plane leaves the pilots hand and ends when any piece of the plane makes contact with the ground. The maximum points possible on any single flight are 60 pts X the target duration in minutes. Round the flight time to the closest second. The normal target time for a round is 8-10 minutes.

Example (using 10 minutes as the target duration):

9min. 50 sec. flight = 540 points + 50 landing points = 590 points
10 min. 4 sec. flight = 600 points – 4 points with 0 lanidng points = 596pts

4. Motor run time is unlimited but subtracted from the flight time (note para 4 below).

Example:
600 flight points - 19 motor run points = 581 total round points

5. Thr Radian would have a motor handicap of .95% as we fly the contest. Or you could just make it 100$ and keep it simple. If you mix in other electric gliders or aircraft then you can apply motor handicaps.

Motor handicap: brushless 95%, brushed Cobalt and brushed car motors 75%, Ferrite 45%, and Outrunners with a 28mm or less bell diameter and 17mm length 68%, Speed400 30%. Actual motor run rounded to the closest second is multiplied by the motor handicap percentage. Round this calculated value to the closest 1/10th of a second.

Example:
Cobalt motor run 34 .6 sec. = 35 sec. X 0.75 = 26.25 sec. = 26.3 points.
Brushless motor run 41.3 sec. = 42 sec. X 0.95 = 39.9 sec.

6. Landing points are measured from the center of the landing circle to the nose of the plane. For each foot from the center point subtract 1 point from max of 30 points.

Example:
Plane wing tip is 12 ft from the designated center point. 30 – 12 = 18 points.

7. You may restart your motor as many times as needed but on the second motor start you will no longer be able to score any landing points.

Contestants will not have to do any of the above math shown in the above examples. The CD’s spreadsheet will handle all of that.

Timers need two stopwatches, one for flight time and one for motor run time. Pilot and timer should work out a signal as to when he is starting the motor (i.e. "restarting motor...on...off") so the timer can track that time.

So, if you want to test your skills and have some fun with your friends, try our X5J contest format. It is lots of fun.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:05 AM
mrsand

Default Radian Down

Threw the Radian up today...lost it after about five minutes of soaring at about 400 feet. Wind was taking plane away so I tryed circling...didn't seem to respond to well..plane started spiraling down about a 1/3
mile away..elevator would not bring it up.

Found it with front 8-9 inches of fuse broken off...tail broke in half about 6 inches forward of rudder. Wings are hurt but ok...motor mount cracked two places.. The fuse seems to be toast.

Checked lipo..still at 12.3 V. plugged in battery and esc again on table ..controls worked...didn't try motor since it the cone was crunched..... I tryed to reglue rear of the fuse with M-CA...doesn't want to stick together...don/t know what else to do. Very unhappy

Mrsand
Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I've got my Radian back into the air after getting a DX7 and for some reason it isn't flying like it used too.
The first thing was the trim, which is not a big problem but rust had formed on the metal push rod just around the connector.
The biggest problem, I think is something to do with the c.g.
With no add ballast it is constantly going up and down very aggresively .
The only change since I last flew with DX5 is a new ESC.
I have tried triming with the trim tab's but it does seem to have slowed down there is no whistle when it flies over head .
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Well I have one that should be here any minute I Hope. was odered Thurs but stupid CC probs got that fixed and it shows on fedex for delivery today to my house I am sitting here waiting. i had seen them online thought looked nice. a guy at my club feild had one few weeks ago and let me fly it could not belive a foam stock glider was going STRIGHT up and gaining allitude. I am not a super lift pilot i wanted something to just mess with when the other older guys in club are flying theres. grab a chair and sit back relax. I proably never get it over 400 feet my eye site sucks.

I will be flying it with a 4 cell A 123 1100mah pack its more then the stock 1300mah but less then what lot the guys using 2200's I know

we will see how it does. should be good for at least 3-4 10-15 sec climb outs.

I plan to paint the bottom green or pink so can see the thing all white stinks

I flew Carl golberg Eletro gliders in around 1992-93 and you push a button on the side the plane the motor ran you tossed it you went out nice and level and slowely went up try get as high as possible before the motor ran out of juice. it would stop and you glide around. that was it. they were heavy cause of 6 and 7 cell Ni cad packs and the motors were huge now with brushless everything is so much more fun.

Last edited by EpoweredRc; 06-18-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 PM
mrsand

Default New Radian #2

Maidened my second Radian yesterday...sweet..I think it glides better than the first one--I now have a used 480 brushed motor, ESC, and 2 servo's. I was able to reuse the old receiver and battery.

MrSand
Old 06-20-2009, 05:02 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

mine came and got it put together in a few hours, had to notch the foam where the rx goes to get my electron 6 rx to fit. i would have used a AR6100 and my DX7 but the group i will mostly fly with with it fly 2.4 video cams and i didnt want them interfeering with me. so far they not but i dont fly when they fly.

this thing flys great I got so far

1st flight 6 mins ( just testing it out )
2nd flight 9 mins
3rd flight 16 mins
4th flight 24mins ( me and my father flew our gliders together that was lot of fun) hes got a Acent

today i got a 24 and a 26 min flight so I have like a hour and half of flight on her already

I painted one wing tip pink other green and put yellow strips on one wing guess what after about 75 foot I cant see it. the pink shows up best but not great .. oh well not sure what will do for color. i dont really plane to fly to high anyways we was about 400 feet today my father has a How high in his glider.

im very happy with it I flying on 4 cell 1100 mah A123 pack and its way nose heavy according to the 2 1/2 back from leading edge but it glides just fine. I put few clicks down in it so wouldnt go vertical with power on

i have yet to take out more then 740mah out of the 900mah packs dont understand why you guys slaming 2200 lipos in it thats just added weight.

i have read lots about the crappy prop and made myself a back up today sure hate to be w/o one its to much fun. will get more flight tommorrow going buddy box my gf with it
Old 06-20-2009, 06:40 AM
9244tony

I have two of these Parkzone Radians. They are fun to fly. Stick the flycamone2 on it and have fun video recording your neighborhood.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:48 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by 9244tony View Post
I have two of these Parkzone Radians. They are fun to fly. Stick the flycamone2 on it and have fun video recording your neighborhood.
who sells those? do they work that good? do they take mem card? i use my big camera on my big plane for video but its kinda a crappy setup
Old 06-20-2009, 05:02 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

RE: Prop

I have 10+ flights on mine and haven't had any problems. Are lots of people havng problems or just a few isolated cases with lots of visibility.

Clint
Old 06-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I think I've broken 2 propeller blade's so far but I wouldn't say it was down too poor quality.
The paddock where I fly has been ploughed for a crop so I've been out trying to find some thermal's but I haven't found much at all.
I got offered a job, to use my radian to scare Gallah's away from the crop.
It would be good to get paid for flying !
Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 PM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun View Post
who sells those? do they work that good? do they take mem card? i use my big camera on my big plane for video but its kinda a crappy setup
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/video-camera.htm

My buddy has one and I have borrowed it a couple times to get footage from my Radian. They take micro SD cards. I recommend high-quality SD such as Crucial otherwise the video can get choppy. Sometimes it just flakes out and doesn't record but for the price a decent lightweight cam.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:42 AM
mrsand

Default Radian Prop's

I have lost two prop's...always the right side...once I had some ballast under the canopy in the radio area that got loose and the outrunner spun it up and knocked the canopy loose and the prop caught it...another time the prop spun up and caught a edge on the right side of the canopy that was sticking out to far. My second radian has a better fit at the canopy edge. All is well for now. Enjoy gliding the bird.

MrSand
Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mrsand View Post
I have lost two prop's...always the right side...once I had some ballast under the canopy in the radio area that got loose and the outrunner spun it up and knocked the canopy loose and the prop caught it...another time the prop spun up and caught a edge on the right side of the canopy that was sticking out to far. My second radian has a better fit at the canopy edge. All is well for now. Enjoy gliding the bird.

MrSand
Neither one of those failures were apparently due to a defect ion the prop. (prop breaking after hitting something is normal.)

Clint
Old 06-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I just found one of my broken propeller's which has snap just after the number's of the prop size.
Both my prop blades broke in the same place.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:03 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Huffy01 View Post
I just found one of my broken propeller's which has snap just after the number's of the prop size.
Both my prop blades broke in the same place.
Not surprised that there is a common stress point where the props tend to fail. Question is whether there were any prop strikes leading up to the failure.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

One I broke when the engine mount failed and struck the canopy .
The second gave away after I had placed the plane on a tiled, concrete floor with the blade hanging down. It lasted for one launch (100+ metres), when I came back down and lauched again it lasted about 2 seconds before it failed .
So yes ,some contact before the prop broke.
I have heard of someone saying that their prop failed because of a defect but someone did see him walk into a fence!!ha ha busted!
Old 06-27-2009, 02:46 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

I read lots on RCgroups about props just breaking, who knows maybe the ones breaking are flying into fernces, buildings themselves... its the internet so who knows someone on RCgroup uses this for NET=Not everythings true.

sounds about right to me. well I have 2 hours of flying on mine and so far so good but I will be looking to get better prop the stock is flimsy and I am sure I am loosing some climb out because of it.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:29 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Beginning to think the "Spontaneous prop breakage" on the Radian is a myth/urban legend.

Thanks for the clarification. I am going to order some replacement blades so I don't lose a day of Radian flying from a prop strike.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:14 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

It's a good idea and one I have been meaning too do myself but for me here there out of stock so I have too wait.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:38 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Beginning to think the "Spontaneous prop breakage" on the Radian is a myth/urban legend.

Thanks for the clarification. I am going to order some replacement blades so I don't lose a day of Radian flying from a prop strike.
Don't know why all these folks would band together to create an urban legend over a broken prop.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017613

Quick Reply: Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10954 seconds with 11 queries