Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Ouch, believe your correct, tho my number of flights well into the hundreds with this super glider, flew mine all last winter, near daily, before spring hit thermals hour before dusk, amazing flyer...simply kept the batteries warm in the pocket, however not my frozen brain here..gads..

Have to work today but try and get a Radian flight in near 8 AM, may catch light lift, we'll see....BEST ..<>..
Old 07-05-2009, 03:44 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

I concur - feels lke the Radian has been around for a long time given its loyal following.

Unfortunately it is a bit windy in MA for a radian flight - hoping the wind will calm down this afternoon and I can get an end-of-day flight.

Clint
Old 07-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I broke both my propeller blades today and the fuselage and the tail stabilizer's and the canopy all because I forgot to reverse my elevator servo's.
I set it at 1/2 throttle gave it a little push to get it going , then gave the elevator a push to stop it from rising up to much in the climb out.
Suddenly I was in a loop ,I cut the motor but I was inverted by this time and only about 6 metre's from the ground, then it just hit the roof of the house.
Found the motor, battery and the ESC on the other side of the house ,the ESC beeping telling me it was missing a connection.
It's drying at the moment but I think it might need some strenghtening around the break.
Will be at least another week before it's back in the air!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Fulanito_uk

Sorry to hear that... if its any consolation its made me much more conscious of the importance of pre flight checks..
________
fake weed

Last edited by Fulanito_uk; 01-23-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:37 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Yikes, easy to have something go wrong, we had a young flyer who was busy with family and finally flew last year for the first time in awhile only to have the ailerons reversed, did crash but turned out rather minimal...

I've done so many stupid things are far to numerous to list...just today was out at noon break from work after my first big thermal, and a few go arounds there it was, sucked right up into one of the huge puffy clouds, this time I remembered to down stick immediately and caught a view of it zooming down able to save it from a flight to who knows where, lost more than one ship that way...amazing lift but had to leave as working, still felt great, but a close one....BEST ..<>..

Flying the Radian again today some lift but not enough time to enjoy again noon break at work, but later couple of us finally got together, I flew the Radian for some easy glides, noted light lift even tho early evening, passing the controls to a newbie flyer, did rather well...then sport planes the nifty t-28...new flyer and to my amazement took off with ease, zoomed abit but kept going further out till lost visual, I had binocs but 50 feet away in the car, too late and lost it behind forest of trees, yet to find it, I'm going to wear the binocs like a necklace from now on, never know...dang nibbity...BEST ..<>..

Last edited by phillipmorris; 07-07-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:25 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Really is important to do preflight checks, I always wag the moving surfaces prior to any flight, frequently even snap open the bottom cavity of the Radian and make sure all the servo plugs are set into the receiver, can never be too careful...<>..make sure your flying with a fully charged battery...<>...sure more..save loads of headaches on repair and downtime..<>..

BEST ..<>..
Old 07-13-2009, 01:04 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Well can verify the prop issue, my friend also has the Radian for sometime, and yep, just yesterday also the prop gave inflight, heard a loud noise, cut the power and landed and found the prop broke...so its a very real concern as expected....not a bad idea to replace the original with a more durable line of folding prop, and also be aware it can be a concern....realize are cost factors holding things down on RTF models, but this is one part they really should change....<>..

Flying has been outstanding last several days, partly cloudy with moments of sunshine and less winds made for outstanding thermaling, was between lifts still looking for a thermal yesterday and a hawk suddenly appeared south of the field, darted in his area, he was way above but yep nice lift and up she went, hawk noticed the Radian and came over, no feathers, so then turned away but was nice enough to reveal a fun ride..hi...BEST ..<>..

Also having fun attempting lite lifts towards evening, found enough to keep elevation and even rise late as 7 PM...Life if great..BEST ..<>..
Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

It was just one of those day's when I have a mental block. The sad thing about it, I bought an EDF jet which I maidened and slamed it twice into the ground so I thought I would fly the Radian, it's been such a performer for me and thought nothing could go wrong. I was feeling strangely over confident that day.
Anyway back to the hobby store tomorrow ,order a new propeller and a canopy.
A new glider too. No motor this time!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Curious if that was on the Radian launch or during flight, mine has in stronger lifts flipped over on its back at high altitudes, difficult to see the orientation witnessed it screaming down more than once, able to save it, another time it kept inverted at altitude, gave downstick to pull it out, gads not into sport flying, its a thermal eating sailplane, hi....

Gave the controls to a newbie at safe altitude, he wanted to overcontrol but acutally did rather well, thermals all over the place tho late afternoon 5 PM...BEST ..<>..

Pssst ok on the ducted jets slamming in, had same experiences, they need to reach airspeed to behave and likely slight held up elevator..my favored tho not ducted is the Fly For Fun Thunderbat pusher, very nice performer...<>..

Multiplex Cularis 100 inch..waiting for shipment..<>..
Old 07-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I'm back for the hobby store .Order part's for the Radian, got the EDF checked and the MCX. Also came home with a Great Planes Spirit Elite.
I had a few problem's see the Radian at high altitude especially when the clouds are puffy, white with grey edges. It doesn't help when you're being chased by "Harrier's" and you can't find ya plane.
I noticed the Radian can't do a full inverted loop. I could only do half.
I thought the blue marking could be a little bigger or maybe a different shape.
Anyway it's still a good "ship"!!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Haven't flown the Spirit Elite, keep us posted how it goes...

Some have marked the Radian wings for better visibility, its lower contrast can try you at greater elevations etc, lately been keeping mine abit closer as already lost one months back...live and learn, hi...<>...

Radian is a great thermal ship, I find light lift hour before sunset, its amazing, meanwhile after something even more effective for thermals and moving to a larger one and reason for the Cularis, hardly wait...but will always be time for the Radian, its terrific..<>..

Mention inverted flying etc, maybe your after more of a swift flying machine as a slope soarer etc...myself am hooked on thermals...<>..
Old 07-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I had read on one of the threads about the Radian and all the different movement's it could do and went out to see what it could do.
So I tried looping it .I got up as high as I could and pushed the stick forward.
I got to inverted flight but when I went for the next half of the circle it just stalled.
I'm still going too fly it because it flies so well and is easy too fly.
The Spirit elite is a little different .It's the kit version so it just a pile of balsa, brass and plywood. I'm going to build it with flat wing's, aileron's and flap's.
I'll start a thread sometime soon.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:39 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Huffy01 View Post
I had read on one of the threads about the Radian and all the different movement's it could do and went out to see what it could do.
So I tried looping it .I got up as high as I could and pushed the stick forward.
I got to inverted flight but when I went for the next half of the circle it just stalled.
I'm still going too fly it because it flies so well and is easy too fly.
The Spirit elite is a little different .It's the kit version so it just a pile of balsa, brass and plywood. I'm going to build it with flat wing's, aileron's and flap's.
I'll start a thread sometime soon.
Sounds like you were attemtping an outside loop. Try building up some speed in a dive and pulling back on the stick to execute an inside loop.

Clint
Old 07-17-2009, 04:26 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Yep, you just didn't have enough speed to do the loop.

The Radian's motor certainly has enough power to handle an outside loop, but it sounds like you did it with the power off.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I was trying to do it the other way " Power off" . Into a dive and push down on the stick. I don't know the proper name. The top of the plane travels the longest distance around the circle.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Fulanito_uk

Originally Posted by Huffy01 View Post
I was trying to do it the other way " Power off" . Into a dive and push down on the stick. I don't know the proper name. The top of the plane travels the longest distance around the circle.
That?s an outside loop or a negative G loop I think.
________
the volcano vaporizer

Last edited by Fulanito_uk; 01-23-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:52 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Outside loop will be more difficult because airfoil is not symetrical and wing is much less efficient during inverted flight.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:10 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Outside loop will be more difficult because airfoil is not symetrical and wing is much less efficient during inverted flight.
If you are talking about a nice, beautiful, pattern plane type outside loop, I would agree. However if you put enough power to it you can outside loop a brick.

I outside loop my 134" wing span thermal duration sailpalnes and they don't even have motors. I just put them into a dive, pick up enough speed and outside loop 'em.

The RADIAN has way more power than is required to do an outside loop. It might not be beautiful but it will do an outside loop. Fer sure dude!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Fulanito_uk

Made a little test video.. to see how the flycam2 worked, pretty happy. Shame about the wind speed to bumpy for me

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gql2EQhcFac[/media]
________
volcano vaporizer

Old 07-19-2009, 01:06 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Fulanito_uk View Post
Made a little test video.. to see how the flycam2 worked, pretty happy. Shame about the wind speed to bumpy for me

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gql2EQhcFac[/media]
Why is the video so out of sync from the audio?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Fulanito_uk

good question plays fine in media player... i think its you tubes fault when I up loaded it?
________
GSX-R1100

Old 07-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I had the same problem when I was viewing it . I thought it was something to do with the signal. I had trouble all yesterday trying to view Wattflyer ,I could navigate anywhere just the link from the email.
Youtube was just as bad. Stupid thing was I could enter some site and not other's!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:56 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Hey men new to this thread. Had my Radian a couple weeks, found some thermals today and got twenty minute flight without touching the throttle. Neck started to hurt so I had to bring her down. Was probably at least 1200ft or so at the highest point. I say that because one of our regulars has an altimater on his slostick, and my Radian was smaller than I've ever seen his stick.
Thermals are sure fun.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Thermals are fun but caution, easy to lose the visual, nothing like it tho..BEST ..<>..
Old 07-20-2009, 03:40 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool How not to lose sight of your radian

HOW NOT TO LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR RADIAN

Part of the fun of thermal soaring is that you can go high and far without the motor. If you hook a thermal it is like riding a wave on your surfboard. You want to ride and ride till you can't remember how long you have been riding. But how can you do that safely?

Make the Radian more visible.

Colors - Most glider pilots have found that dark colors under the wing and tail make them easier to see against a blue sky and white clouds. So paint or tape the bottom of your wing in dark colors. Once you get high enough they all go to black anyway so have fun with the colors/patterns. Do the bottom of the tail too, so you can see use that to tell front from back. Consider making the vertical fin a high contrast color too. That will make the tail easier to see at a distance so you can tell front from back.

Contrast - A dark bottom with a light top color, white for example, will give you contrast. When the plane is out far it can be hard to tell which way your plane is facing. If you have a light top and a dark bottom you can see the contrast between top and bottom and it will help you with orientation especially if you can also see the tail.

Reflection - Many glider pilots put reflective tape on the leading edge. This can be special tape or it can be something silvery, like monokote silver trim material that you can get in most hobby shops. Several 6" long strips along the leading edge will give you a flash when the plane turns toward the sun, helping you identify the front of the plane.

Limit indicator - If you make your tail high contrast and you high enough or far enough that you can no longer see the tail, then it is time to come home. You are far enough out or up and are entering the danger zone. Going beyond this range is asking for trouble.

How to spot the plane

Call for help - Ask your buddies to help you spot the plane. Give them the approximate location where you last saw the plane. Some may have better eyes then you. They will also look in a different location. The plane is constantly moving and you might be looking in the wrong place.

Motion - If the plane is small, and you have contrast on the wings, then motion will help you see it. Rock the wings or put the plane into a tight turn that will lift those wings up onto an angle. Your eye can spot motion faster than an apparently static object. Or try a loop. If you have a light top and a dark bottom there is a good chance you will see the wings as you go through a loop.

Lose altitude - for a pure glider pilot, altitude is all we have for fuel but you have a motor on the Radian so you can afford to lose altitude more readily. A classic glider pilot way of getting a plane down is to put the stick in the bottom left or right corner. This induce a slow spin that will lose altitude quickly without picking up too much speed. The plane coming down should be more visible, but don't hold it too long or you will hit the ground. The goal is to create motion in a known direction. If you do this, look for the plane from the ground up so it will pass into your field of vision.

A little down trim - If you were in lift, the plane may still be rising. Put in a few clicks of down, or push the stick down a bit to try and stop that rise.

Rapture of the Sky

I have experienced this myself. You become so thrilled with the ride that good sense leaves you. You want to higher and farther then ever before. And, even as you are about to lose the plane you don't even think about it. You want to higher and farther. Then, suddenly, it is gone.

If you have a buddy standing next to you he is probably saying, "can you still see the plane?" or "you better come down". But you are so into the lift that you don't even understand what he is saying. "Oh, I am fine, but look at it go!"

The weird thing is that you have just lost your plane and your investment but rather than being upset you somehow feel exhilarated. "Did you see how high and how far?" You become drunk on the "high" and so good sense leaves you for a while.

It is a rush, but it means you have to rush out and get a new glider. So try not to get too high while you are getting high.

Clear skies and safe flying.

Last edited by AEAJR; 07-20-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10971 seconds with 11 queries