Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Super Cub or J-3 Cub BL?

Old 12-30-2008, 04:52 AM
SilverMopar

Default Super Cub or J-3 Cub BL?

I am new to flying, although I'v had a couple junk airplanes in the past. I think I have narrowed my choices down to these two. A friend suggested the J-3 Cub BL, and I have read quite a bit about the Super Cub on these forums. I think both can be had for around $160.
The Super Cub has 10" more to the wing than the J-3 Cub. The Super Comes with a 480 motor while the J-3 has a brushless 370 outrunner. Both seem to be decent planes but which would be easier to learn to fly with? Has anyone here had/heard much about the J-3 Cub?

I really want to get into flying RC's but my experiance thus far has been discouraging. Please Advise me... Or mabye I am wrong with both of these two models.
Thanks,
SilverMopar
Old 12-30-2008, 04:55 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Welcome to WattFlyer SilverMopar!

who makes the J-3 cub you are referring to?

I can tell you that the Super Cub has helped more people get a successful start in this hobby than either one of us could count. A highly recommended starter that you can't go wrong with for sure.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:24 AM
SilverMopar

ParkZone makes the J-3 Cub and HobbyZone makes the Super Cub? I think so anyhow.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:24 AM
fireflyer

Super Cub all the way!!! PLEASE buy the super cub. The j-3 cub is also quite a decent plane, either one, would say they are both very good choices as a first plane. My only problem with the super cub is the ACT, which I leave off all the time and I unplugged the sensors. The ACT actually makes you crash rather than keeping you from crashing.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:34 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

oh that one, As Fireflyer says... get the Supercub.

I have seen two of the j-3 from them and neither flew well.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:40 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

I own the j-3 and I have flown the Super Cub.

Super Cub, hands down. It is larger and more stable than the J-3 and it will teach you a lot more about flying than the J-3 will.

It is also far more durable and repairable. Only downside is the proprietary electronics - the J-3 has a standalone ESC and servos stock.

GRU
Old 12-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Leo L

Hi SilverMopar,

Short Answer: SuperCub

Long Answer: Both HobbyZone and ParkZone planes are made by HorizonHobby. HobbyZone planes are for beginner/intermediate flyers; while ParkZone planes are for intermediate/advanced flyers. The SuperCub is designed specifially for beginners and as Backyard Flyers Magazine called it in their review, its "The Perfect Beginner Plane". There simply is no better plane toi start with. The J-3 BL is an attempt by ParkZone to improve the J-3 that has been around for about 5-6 years. When it was first sold, the J-3 was clearly marked as being for Intermediate flyers. It had several poor qualities that needed correction to make it a decent flyer. The biggest was that it was underpowered. By installing a brushless motor PZ has corrected this problem. The second biggest problem was its penchant for doing ground circles when attempting ground take-offs. The solution was either to hand launch, or to install a tail wheel. The BL version does not correct this problem, so if you want to ground take-off, you need to modify it with a tail wheel. The third biggest problem is that the prop does not have much ground clearance. If you are taking off or landing on dirt or grass, the prop is prone to hitting things and breaking. The solution is to increase the size of the wheels. The BL version does not correct this problem. When the J-3 was first introduced, it was one of the better intermediate planes on the market. Today, there are much better ones, like the PZ Trojan. Get the SC, learn how to fly, then either upgrade it or get the Trojan as your second plane.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:34 PM
SilverMopar

Thank you all, for your advice. My Super Cub is on the way!

My very own RC Airplane I gotta name her!

While I so eagerly awaite its arravial I intend to learn everything I can about RC flight, I already have a decent understanding but there is always room for more. I have seen videos of the SC dropping parachuters and carring a camera. What must one do to be able to enjoy add ons such as these while flying his Super Cub?

And once again, thank you all
Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Silver,

Welcome to Wattflyer! The parachute drops are an add-on you can purchase. You flip a switch on the transmitter (TX) and it releases the 'chute (or bombs, loaded with flour). It's a very cool add-on for the new pilot.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:02 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Practicing with FMS simulator before you fly the SuperCub will save you at least three crashes at the field. Simulator does not guarantee success at the field but it certainly helps.

You can get a separate transmitter for FMS or you can connect a modified HobbyZone transmitter to the audio input of your PC. (When I sell planes I often offer this as an otpion for an extra $20.)

Clint
Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 AM
C140
Tailwheels Fly Better

In defense of the J-3 BL, with about ten dollars and eight minutes of time (five of those eight for the epoxy to set), you can have your self a great flying plane. I put a Super Cub tail wheel and "tundra" tires on it and now it's problem free.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Bsellers

SilverMopar

Got it, thanks

Bsellers
Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Bsellers

cbatter - _ have a RealFlight G45 and have spent most of the stimulus monies on crashes, but I'm getting there.

Bsellers