Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Super Decathlon

Old 01-06-2009, 03:51 PM
MrNick
MrNick

Default Super Decathlon

What are your thoughts on the Super Decathlon BL by parkzone as a first airplane. I will be getting some training from a friend on a glow engine airplane because that what he flys and has a buddy system. And will get some help learning from another friend who flys an electric. My only experience is flying a real Aeronica Champ but that was 40 years ago and I only logged 20 hours.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 PM
dogsheep
Banned

I have 4,000 hours in single engine a/c, most of which was IMC: the toys don't fly anything like the big ones, so forget that notion.

I suggest the Super Cub or the new Mini Super Cub.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:12 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

I second the recommendation of SuperCub / Mini Super Cub to get started out. I have the Super Decath. BL and it is a nice little plane but it has some downsides, specifically lack of ground handling due to no steerable tail wheel, it's less survivable in my opinion, not as easy to repair as the Z Foam stuff used on the SuperCub / Mini, and it can tend to get squirrly in even modest wind.

The larger size of the SuperCub is an advantage to the new pilot, if you really want a smaller plane then SC Mini is a great choice. Also you can easily rebuild / upgrade the SuperCub in the future if you wish - tons of great info here on the SC. It's excellent that you've got friends who can help you learn to fly, an advantage I wish I had for sure when I started out. Best of luck to you whichever you choose
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

yup, supercub... It'll make a great beginner choice...

later, buy a decent radio, and covert it to lipo, brushless and ailerons... I'tll make it a completely new plane again...

SK
Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM
MrNick
MrNick

I wish I would of found this forum sooner. The reason I inquired about the super decathlon BL is because when l went to the hobby shop they felt that the super decathlon BL would be a good starter plane so I bought one. Now after reading your replys to my post I think the super cub would of been a better choice. Maybe the addition of a steerable tail wheel might be a good idea?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM
birdy233

I have the Super Decathlon BL, just hand launch the plane, it will be fine. Be sure to use low rates and keep it up high, it's not as easy to repair as the super cub, damage is pretty easily acheived with a rough landing and prop strikes will bend the motor shaft.

I like the plane and it flies great, one of my favorites.