General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

L19 HZ Super Cub

Old 01-07-2009, 01:12 AM
C130 Load

Default L19 HZ Super Cub

Do any of the L 19 "Birddog" kits compare to the HZ Super Cub for beginner/novice flying?

Also has anybody done a SC as a L-19? I have searched but nothing seems to pop up.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Twmaster

I don't think I've seen an L-19 kit or ARF that was not a 4 channel bird. Can't say that I've seen anybody get that creative with their Super Cub and paint it like an L-19. I think that'd be pretty neat though!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:52 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
I don't think I've seen an L-19 kit or ARF that was not a 4 channel bird. Can't say that I've seen anybody get that creative with their Super Cub and paint it like an L-19. I think that'd be pretty neat though!
Yeah - the best thing is that because the SC is Z-foam, you can use the Krylon rattle can Camo paint to do it.

I made a grasshopper out of my PZ J3 cub... it was neat - invasion stripes and everything - for the three times it flew before... well, I don't need to elaborate.

Gru
Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 AM
C130 Load

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Can't say that I've seen anybody get that creative with their Super Cub and paint it like an L-19. I think that'd be pretty neat though!
That's what I thought thanks,, so I'll just have to go and do it.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 AM
C130 Load

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post

I made a grasshopper out of my PZ J3 cub... it was neat - invasion stripes and everything - for the three times it flew before... well, I don't need to elaborate.

Gru
LOL I understand.
My plan is to do it like this http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=771 or this gray Air Force version used by the FACS in Vietnam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PleikuDog.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	89533  
Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Are you thinking of just painting a Super Cub up as an L-19? Or are you going to do a full kit-bash and turn a Piper into a Cessna? I've seen some SC's painted in military schemes and they look great without any other mods, but I don't think I've seen major mods to the airframe. That would be very cool to see!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by C130 Load View Post
LOL I understand.
My plan is to do it like this http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=771 or this gray Air Force version used by the FACS in Vietnam.
Aha, I see. The one made famous calling in the airstrike in Apocalyspe Now.

Keep us posted, man, that is a cool idea. A good friend and flying compadre of mine Capt Easy painted his cub yellow and marked it up to look like the plane he got his real pilot's license in...

The irony is the number of times he's crashed old yeller and yet it still flies for him hahahaha

GRU
Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 PM
C130 Load

I'll have to see what it takes to do the bash and if it is not going to be a long procedure then I'll do it. I really want to get back to flying so I may just use the "Birddog" paint scheme on the SC for now. If I do it that way then I will just build a scale L-19 later.
Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Are you thinking of just painting a Super Cub up as an L-19? Or are you going to do a full kit-bash and turn a Piper into a Cessna? I've seen some SC's painted in military schemes and they look great without any other mods, but I don't think I've seen major mods to the airframe. That would be very cool to see!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 PM
C130 Load

Aha, I see. The one made famous calling in the airstrike in Apocalyspe Now.

Exactly,, A lot of them were assigned to specific Special Forces teams and they were part of the team. Also they were "Unarmed" except for marking flares and radios.
They didn't get all the publicity the jets did but they sure had some "Big Ones"
Without them the jets wouldn't have had as much success hitting the grounds targets.

The irony is the number of times he's crashed old yeller and yet it still flies for him hahahaha

GRU
At least he wasn't in it.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Hyperion recently came out with a balsa L-19. Looks to be really nice, as are most of Hyperion's models, though perhaps a little pricey. You get what you pay for however.

EDIT: I should point out that this is not a beginner model. Might be a good second plane for someone who catches on quickly.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:20 PM
C130 Load

When you say "beginner model" do you mean flying or building?
Hyperion recently came out with a balsa L-19. Looks to be really nice, as are most of Hyperion's models, though perhaps a little pricey. You get what you pay for however.

EDIT: I should point out that this is not a beginner model. Might be a good second plane for someone who catches on quickly.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

When you say "beginner model" do you mean flying or building?
Flying. It's a well-made ARF so probably not too difficult to put together. And I doubt it is difficult to fly either, but it is a 5 channel model and unlike the Super cub, repairing it after a crash won't be cheap or easy. Best to get past the crashing phase before you buy a nice plane like that.

BTW, in 2007 I got back into RC after over 15 years away. The electric technology lured me back. It didn't take long to get the hang of it again, but I did crash a few times. The Super Cub was my first electric, and it is still going strong. Hard to break and easy to repair when you do.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 AM
C130 Load

CRASH!! You mean I might Crash? LOL
BTDT the first time.

OK I see your point. I was just leaning to go with the E-Flight Jenny first but maybe I'll sleep on it and do it or the SC in the morning. I'll put other kits on hold until I get some flying under my belt.
I really like the L-19 you just showed me for later as well as the Great Planes ElectriFly Fokker D.VII I spotted yesterday.

Thanks
Flying. It's a well-made ARF so probably not too difficult to put together. And I doubt it is difficult to fly either, but it is a 5 channel model and unlike the Super cub, repairing it after a crash won't be cheap or easy. Best to get past the crashing phase before you buy a nice plane like that.

BTW, in 2007 I got back into RC after over 15 years away. The electric technology lured me back. It didn't take long to get the hang of it again, but I did crash a few times. The Super Cub was my first electric, and it is still going strong. Hard to break and easy to repair when you do.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:19 AM
C130 Load

OK I went and bought all the parts from Horizon today to build a Super Cub with different electronics and my radio. I talked to Dave over there.

Electronics will come from Jeff at Heads Up as soon as I decide on which charger out of the 3 he recommended.

Both these guys at Heads Up and Horizon are top notch and very helpful.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:13 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

OK I went and bought all the parts from Horizon today to build a Super Cub with different electronics and my radio. I talked to Dave over there.

Electronics will come from Jeff at Heads Up as soon as I decide on which charger out of the 3 he recommended.

Both these guys at Heads Up and Horizon are top notch and very helpful.
What motor are you going with?
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
C130 Load

What motor are you going with?
This one:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

Name:	b79b_1_1142_1.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	90028  
Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Those TP bell motors are kinda ugly, but they sure do work great! I have a couple of them. You may have to get a little creative mounting it as I doubt it will be a drop in fit with the Super Cub. Not really sure as my SC is still stock except for the battery.

One thing you should pay attention to is the thrust angle when mounting the motor. The SC has a lot of downthrust in particular, but I'm not sure if it is built into the firewall or the motor mount.

Another word of caution is with the wing dihedral. I've seen a fair number of guys make the mistake of pulling the dihedral out of the wings with the wing struts to make it look better. It will look better on the ground, but in the air it will look (and fly) terrible because it won't bank into turns. Now if you are going to install ailerons, then the opposite is true. You will then want to flaten the dihedral out of the wing.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 AM
C130 Load

Now if you are going to install ailerons, then the opposite is true. You will then want to flaten the dihedral out of the wing.
I'll remember that thanks. I plan on adding ailerons later but I think I'll just buy another wing at that time.

One thing you should pay attention to is the thrust angle when mounting the motor. The SC has a lot of downthrust in particular, but I'm not sure if it is built into the firewall or the motor mount.
Yeah Dave at Horizon told me to be careful because of the motor change also and to add more down and right.

Jeff at HeadsUp sent me these pic's also with this quote.
"I used some small washers to add a little down and right thrust, and you can see them in the picture if you look closely. Those are one inch nylon spacers in the picture, by the way, and you can use 5/32 or 3/16 inch" plywood.

BTW,, I really appreciate all your input,, Thanks.

Oh,, and one more thing the receiver you told me about earlier on the "Jenny" thread, the Berg Microstamp 4L has only 4 channels. Do you have a recommendation for one that has six channels? I'm just looking ahead for when I add ailerons and either flaps or something

Name:	SC01a.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	90095   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC01b.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	90096  
Old 01-12-2009, 03:09 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I'll remember that thanks. I plan on adding ailerons later but I think I'll just buy another wing at that time.

Yeah Dave at Horizon told me to be careful because of the motor change also and to add more down and right.

Jeff at HeadsUp sent me these pic's also with this quote.
"I used some small washers to add a little down and right thrust, and you can see them in the picture if you look closely. Those are one inch nylon spacers in the picture, by the way, and you can use 5/32 or 3/16 inch" plywood.

BTW,, I really appreciate all your input,, Thanks.

Oh,, and one more thing the receiver you told me about earlier on the "Jenny" thread, the Berg Microstamp 4L has only 4 channels. Do you have a recommendation for one that has six channels? I'm just looking ahead for when I add ailerons and either flaps or something
The Berg 7 channel would work great, though it will run around $50. No reason you have to use all 7 channels. You could try one of the Corona's, or Sombra Labs also makes a nice but inexpensive 6 channel Rx. It's called the Lepton 6 (I know, it sounds like something out of a Star Trek episode, but it's good quality). I have 2 of those and they work great. BlackDogRC sells them for just a little more than the Berg 4 channel. And then there is GWS (blackdog sells those too). They are cheap, but I have one on a flat foamie and it works fine. I never let it get too far away though.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 PM
C130 Load

The Lepton6 looks good especially the cascading feature but wont be available until next month.
I'm going to go with the Berg 4Ch as I will only be using 3-4 channels for awhile. I'll buy the Lepton6 when it becomes available for when I need it.
Does it really make that much difference in the weight as to the hard case 4 or the 4L without the case?
Do the crystals in the reciever and the radio have to be the same brand or "matched"?
Also I am having terrible luck finding a place that sells both the receiver and the crystal for it at a reasonable price. I can find either or but not both at the same vendor and I would like one shipping charge.
The Berg 7 channel would work great, though it will run around $50. No reason you have to use all 7 channels. You could try one of the Corona's, or Sombra Labs also makes a nice but inexpensive 6 channel Rx. It's called the Lepton 6 (I know, it sounds like something out of a Star Trek episode, but it's good quality). I have 2 of those and they work great. BlackDogRC sells them for just a little more than the Berg 4 channel. And then there is GWS (blackdog sells those too). They are cheap, but I have one on a flat foamie and it works fine. I never let it get too far away though.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

The Lepton6 looks good especially the cascading feature but wont be available until next month.
I'm going to go with the Berg 4Ch as I will only be using 3-4 channels for awhile. I'll buy the Lepton6 when it becomes available for when I need it.
Does it really make that much difference in the weight as to the hard case 4 or the 4L without the case?
Do the crystals in the reciever and the radio have to be the same brand or "matched"?
Also I am having terrible luck finding a place that sells both the receiver and the crystal for it at a reasonable price. I can find either or but not both at the same vendor and I would like one shipping charge.
Difference in weight is just a few grams. You will not notice it.

If you buy from BPP, the crystal is only $4.95 extra if you buy it with the Rx (select Rx and crystal together with the little drop down window when selecting the Rx), and if you select the very cheapest shipping method, it will still get to you very quickly and with a tracking number for just a couple $.

Don't risk mixing brands. You can do it, but it's not worth the peace of mind you give up just to save a buck or two.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 AM
C130 Load

So you mean replace the original Futaba cyrstal in the radio with a Berg also along with one for the receiver.
If so then it doesn't matter which Ch# I buy either since I won't be restricted to Ch#41 only.
Difference in weight is just a few grams. You will not notice it.

If you buy from BPP, the crystal is only $4.95 extra if you buy it with the Rx (select Rx and crystal together with the little drop down window when selecting the Rx), and if you select the very cheapest shipping method, it will still get to you very quickly and with a tracking number for just a couple $.

Don't risk mixing brands. You can do it, but it's not worth the peace of mind you give up just to save a buck or two.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

So you mean replace the original Futaba cyrstal in the radio with a Berg also along with one for the receiver.
If so then it doesn't matter which Ch# I buy either since I won't be restricted to Ch#41 only.
No, in the USA, it is actually not legal to change the Tx crystal yourself (not for any good reason that I can think of). If your Futaba is on channel 41, then you will need to have a receiver with a channel 41 crystal in it. That is all.

Berg, Corona and Sombra Labs are all auto shift, so they will work with either Futaba (negative shift) or JR (positive shift). All you have to do is match the channel. Now if you use a GWS or some other brands, then you will have to make sure it is a negative shift Rx as well as matching the channel frequency.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:14 AM
C130 Load

Super,, Thanks alot. Sorry for all the questions. Some of this I used to know. But then,,, Well CRS
No, in the USA, it is actually not legal to change the Tx crystal yourself (not for any good reason that I can think of). If your Futaba is on channel 41, then you will need to have a receiver with a channel 41 crystal in it. That is all.

Berg, Corona and Sombra Labs are all auto shift, so they will work with either Futaba (negative shift) or JR (positive shift). All you have to do is match the channel. Now if you use a GWS or some other brands, then you will have to make sure it is a negative shift Rx as well as matching the channel frequency.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:25 AM
C130 Load

OK I just ordered the Microstamp receiver and crystal from BPP.
Now all the pieces are on the way to me.
BPP -Receiver & Crystal
Horizon Hobby. -Super Cubs individual parts.
HeadsUp Rc -Motor,props,ESC,servos,and battery.
Next Hobbies- Castle Thunderbird18 ESC ordered after Heads up at a real good price and couldn't pass it up.

I like ordering from different folks first to see how the service is. Helps in later decisions.

Thanks Doug for all your help.

Quick Reply: L19 HZ Super Cub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17267 seconds with 15 queries