Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

A step up...but how?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 AM
S.R.G.

Lightbulb A step up...but how?

I know this is a leap, and yes, I want to do it. I have owned a HobbyZone Supercub for some time now, and have many successful flights. Flown it in the wind, and even in a slight mist. Landed on pavement, grass, and even in hand. I want another RC plane, and I want speed. I know that 3d is a big jump, since I have not been exposed to ailerons, but would rather go with the whole bang and not waste so many bucks.

I have been looking at several planes, and some not even technically 3d. The 4 planes I am very interested in right now are: ParkZone F4U Corsair, ParkZone Typhoon 2, ParkFlyers Edge 540TV2, and the ParkFlyers Gee-Bee.

Do you think that going from the SuperCub straight into a high speed. 3d* flyer would be a wise choice, or a stupid mistake? I love the SuperCub, but it is so slow and limited.

I have been gone from the electric flying field for some time now. I went to nitro buggy and love it. Yet, I want to start back up into rc flight along with the nitro buggys. Help a noob/reconvert out!

Thanks,
Sam
Old 03-06-2009, 04:13 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Well if you've got a supercub, i'd imagine you know the basics of orientation and such. SO.. i mean if you do get something fast like a warbird or a 3D plane here are my tips:

1) fly to a very high altittude and from there try out the plane, get a feel for it
2) if you are able to, turn down the controls, specially on a 3D plane
3) fly in a big space, so you can practice more on feeling the plane rather than trying to stay in a boundary

others may say oh its bad you should go with something slightly better but still slow but i'd say if you know how to fly, then i guess something faster wouldnt be too bad, just remember to have the control throws lower(as you are flying faster so response will be much quicker) same with 3D planes, fly high and once you have it undercontrol then start lowering yourself in altittude
Old 03-06-2009, 04:16 AM
S.R.G.

O yea, I plan to have that sucker tuned down low for a while. I have 200 acres of flat bermuda field to play around with, so will have plenty of room. i am just trying to see what to go to...and having trouble. My research has turned me up with really not too much as in a definite decision.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:22 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Well how much can you spend?

if you have money? i'd say try one of those 3D EPP kits, where its literally indestructable
Something like a Hyperion Bipe or a Mini Pulse Xt from e-flite i think the foam ones that way repair isnt too bad when you crash, but yeah i mean aside from the radical stunts and stuff, a plane is a plane, its not a helicopter, it still basically flys the same as a cub, though not as slow or underpowered. And it flies in another Axis lol which is straight up... but i mean if you have it turned down, lots of space i think you out to be good, just be gentle with controls and not jerk it around

if they still have them you could try those Brushed/lipo birds, the foam ones that are powered by a carbon 370 special brushed motor and a 2cell lipo that out to be pretty cheap.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:27 AM
S.R.G.

Yea, I looked at the ParkZone warbirds (Spitfire, Wolf, etc). I would say my limit for everything is $300. I have SEVERAL of the HobbyZone batterys (NiMH - upgrade packs), so liked the fact that the warbirds used them. Yet, I get one of those...then want to step, then there is just more money gone and 3 planes vs 2 could have had. I am so far liking the Edge and Corsair. The Gee-Bee just seems to blah and breakable...and the Typhoon is...going out (from my research they seem to be discontinued).

I am going for speed more than 3d btw...just the 3d concept was good and I like what you can do with them.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:30 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

ooopss scuze the Mini Pulse Xt thats a different plane than i was thinking
check out the tensor
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Articles/Ar...ArticleID=1394

also do you have a sim? i heard ClearView was nice for 40bucks does helis/3D planes/trainers etc...
Old 03-06-2009, 04:31 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

I would go with the pz t-28.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:32 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

another option is cheap foam kits like these:
http://www.3dfoamy.com/

and proper hobbycity combos(mad cheap stuff) but i'd say for startin out just go with an ARF or RTF thats pretty much complete
Old 03-06-2009, 04:44 AM
S.R.G.

Yes, I have used a sim for the heck of it. I have flown a warbird before with ailerons. It was tricky, but some due to wind.

I am going to try and go RTF of this buy. Will save me a lot of hassle...
Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

how could you fly a warbird and say its tricky, and yet want to go straight into 3D?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:57 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

its urges boy... lol
i dont know just be careful lol i'd hate to hear you have that moment of silence:
*sickening thud/crunch* pilot is motionless staring at the ground, falls on his knees and screams to god.. "why?...." sob...... ok thats alittle far but ya... lol the staring at the ground, head down for shame part lol
Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 AM
S.R.G.

"how could you fly a warbird and say its tricky, and yet want to go straight into 3D?"

Going straight into 3d will be a huge learning curve, but planning the one step at a time + local flying club (right next to rc car track). It is more of the thing of why buy 2 or 3 when one does the job.

From all the horrible messages (on and off forum), seems like the effort to try and excel is not worth it at all.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:22 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

i dont know, if you feel you are up to it, hey give it a try, just be careful better not to rush things you know what i mean? by this i mean when you get the plane take your time no fancy stunts or no showing off lol just fly
Old 03-06-2009, 05:26 AM
S.R.G.

That is the plan for me...and always been the intention. I would not jump into it, as I know something could/would happen.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:40 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

don't do it. I thought this too and made a bad move. I bought the nitro planes 63" predator balsa 4channel, when I wasn't ready and thought I was after the easystar. Take it slow. After 4 other planes, I fanally got the t-28. these things take time to learn. I am still just intermediate.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:57 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

wait how was the predator hard to fly? lol seems like a trainer type plane, yeah it has ailerons but rudder's can make a plane do a "corkscrew" to which is like a wider barrel roll
Old 03-06-2009, 06:13 AM
S.R.G.

Originally Posted by S.R.G. View Post
I have flown a warbird before with ailerons. It was tricky, but some due to wind.
I think you mis-read. I have never flown a predator, and it is a trainer type. I flew a Parkzone Wolf in like 10 mph winds that would change directions. This was early in my rc flying experience also. Predator does not = warbird, so kindof odd that you replied thinking predator...
Old 03-06-2009, 06:37 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Originally Posted by S.R.G. View Post
I think you mis-read. I have never flown a predator, and it is a trainer type. I flew a Parkzone Wolf in like 10 mph winds that would change directions. This was early in my rc flying experience also. Predator does not = warbird, so kindof odd that you replied thinking predator...
I know. My bad, I wasn't reffering to the predator as the warbird I had mention, but as an example and rushing and not being ready. I put about in total plus plane into it about $350, and I ended up stripping all of its electronics from it for later after the second flight. there is a vid of me flying it somewhere on youtube I will find later.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

What? .... you stripped a plane down? lol why?... .shoulda mastered that bird
Old 03-06-2009, 06:48 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

I really couldn't dude. I ended up using the 480 motor and 3s 2100mah lipo on a slow stick
Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

it uses a 370-450 at max, so I had some tail heavy issues too because it was all balsa and fix in place
Old 03-06-2009, 08:23 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

d

Last edited by ministeve2003; 03-27-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:58 PM
FL Knifemaker
All I Need are Elevons

I find my 3D planes (both foam and balsa) very easy to fly they are just VERY maneuverable Pick something you can fly with simulator software and get familiar with it that way. On the real plane, program in plenty of exponential and a 3D plane can be very forgiving to fly. My YardBird Mig is quite fast but before I flew the actual plane, I spent some time getting used to how it handled in G3.5 My first real flight was no problem at all.

Last edited by FL Knifemaker; 03-06-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:03 PM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

since you seem intent on getting a new plane, my only advice to give is FLY HIGH!! if you do that and DON'T FLY WITH ANY WIND! you should do ok until you truly get the hang of it if your throws are adjusted to be lower. put in exponential on your radio.

also, you said there was a club nearby, will you be able to have someone help you with like a buddybox or something for your first few flights? with that and doing the stuff I mentioned you shouldn't do too bad.

P.S. if you give up ship your planes to me I'll make sure to feed it lots of battery packs and give it lots of attention so it will be a good home
Old 03-07-2009, 03:24 PM
starcad
Model Designer

From your chooses I'd suggest the ParkZone F4U Corsair. It seems to be a sep up from the PZ Cub and is rather nice to fly even though it is a Corsair. Not really any bad habits that I could find. But, like everyone else is saying, take it up rather high, power back alitle and get the feel for it. You should be fine.