Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Parkzone p-51 or sukhoi su-26m

Old 11-03-2009, 05:46 AM
huntjulien

Default Parkzone p-51 or sukhoi su-26m

okay so iv been flying my super cub and getting better and now i want to purchase a micro. iv been looking at both the sukhoi and p-51 and im not sure which one i should buy... any advice? they seem almost identical to my knowledge so wat are the differences?

all help is appreciated
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

The P-51 is a better flyer. Here's a video of it flying I took this weekend [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw47dXKIIK8[/media]
Old 11-03-2009, 05:05 PM
ggunners

Mostly indoor, go with the Sukhoi, mostly outdoor, go with the P51.

From what I've seen, indoor flying for the P51 requires a split flap mod to the underside of the wing for slower flight indoors.

The Sukhoi pretty much handles it directly.

-- ggunners
Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Elfi Flyer
Elfi's, beauty in flight.

Originally Posted by huntjulien View Post
iv been flying my super cub and getting better and now i want to purchase a micro. iv been looking at both the sukhoi and p-51 and im not sure which one i should buy...
ParkZone Super Cub to the PKZN micro Sukhoi 26? In one leap? Wow!

Hint: Get lots of dual rate and exponential adjusting, plus a few props, especially if flying will be primarily indoors.

Good Luck!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:33 AM
huntjulien

yeah i know its a big jump but yeah i was planning on starting off with a low exponential (i think i know what im talking about but i could be wrong...) and iv been practicing flying alot off different kinds of planes with my realflight sim... and from what i know the p-51 is less of an acrobatic plane so should be a bit easier... but i want to learn to fly it quick so i wil be able to fly in my highschool gym after school...
Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

I bought a P-51 as my very first plane. I did it against my better judgement. I had some success with it but I knew if I continued I would destroy it. So I went out and bought an Ember II which should have been my first choice. Am getting along quite well with it and can even navigate around the trees in my back yard. I haven't tried the 51 again yet but probably will soon when the wind is calm. Since you have been flying a SC I wouldn't suggest an Ember unless you are looking for a slow flyer for small spaces. The P-51 would probably be a better choice for you over the Sukhoi as I think it will be a little slower and not quite so twitchy.

I'm building a Super Cub right now and can't wait till the last of my parts get here.

Make sure you have plenty of space for your first flights and no wind.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Although I have never flown an Ember, I have spent countless hours with my Vapor. It's a fun indoor plane that can be flown in a very small space... 1/2 a basketball court or even decent sized living room! Downsides?

- Can only be flown outdoors with zero wind
- Not very acrobatic... it'll loop, prop hang for 1-3sec, slow down to 'almost' harrier flight, and turn very fast. But does not like to fly inverted much, and I could never get it to rudder roll.

If you have the space and flying skills, the P51 would probably be at the top of the list for a micro. Even the new E-Flite micro 4-Site 3d plane is a possibility.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Elfi Flyer

If some form of aerobatics is what you are looking for, neither the Vapor or the Ember 2 will fill the bill, IMHO. Both are great fliers, my preference is with the Ember. I have three, one Ember 1, and two Ember 2's. I usually fly outdoors in calm conditions, but the Embers can handle very light breezes, what I characterize as "trace winds".

The UM P-51 is much more aerobatic capable, and can definitely handle more wind when outdoor flown. I have two of the P-51's, and recently flew Mustang #1 in 5-8 mph winds. Not all that pleasant, but the plane was flyable and landable, for lack of a better description.

The P-51 can also be flown indoors, I personally haven't done that yet, preferring to get more experience with "close-in" flying before trying indoor activity. I have flown another person's UM Sukhoi 26 outdoors, in some wind, and with slighly reduced control rates. Definitely not my cup of tea at this moment.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Hotch

I just flew the P-51 today for the first time. Had some light wind... no fun but manageable. I can't wait for a still air. A very nice flyer with good power and slow flying characteristics.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:07 AM
m40a3
Father, Husband, HeliNerd

I just got the P-51 today and its my first plane. Flew great once I got it trimmed. Did have a bad problem with it wanting to nose up real bad even after trimmed all the way. I am working with the elevator control rod length to get it to flatten out some. Its a great plane. I had a great time with it.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Bob May

You might try adding a little weight to the tail. I added a T pin (with tape) to the tail on both my sukhoi and my P51 for much better inverted flight and reduced zooming up. I think both these planes as shipped are nose heavy.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:17 AM
funksonbrother

I love these planes so much,flew like a fighter plane should straight from the box,whats up with eveyone saying there hard to trim??
Old 01-30-2010, 05:25 AM
Elfi Flyer

Originally Posted by funksonbrother View Post
I love these planes so much,flew like a fighter plane should straight from the box,whats up with eveyone saying there hard to trim??
I didn't have much of a problem, and I have flown my Mustang with 120/130/138/150 and 240 mAh Lipo's. Flys great with any of these Lipo's, provided the weather is not real cold. Even then, I got 12 minutes from the 240 Lipo in 30 degree F. weather!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:24 AM
Toby B

The SU's a very fast plane for indoors- it'll really turn, but you have to be quick with it.
It kicked me right back down to 'newbie' in a hurry in our indoor space (130x120x80).

It's also not the most stable in a straight line, wanting constant attention.

Gawd it's fun, though.

Haven't flown the Mustang yet, but it has a LOT less prop...

t
Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Toby B

Default Just got a 'blem' P51

The P-51 is a better flyer
YE(effing)SSSSSS!!! How can something be more stable AND faster?

oh, right, power- to- weight... it's quite a bit lighter.

The P51 is a very fast little plane, and will putter right along at 1/4 throttle...
and...
unlike the SU, it won't fall out of the sky if you do that, and you
still have a lot of elevator and rudder.

It has both dihedral and camber in the wing, which more than offsets its low
position on the fuse, and it flies like a plane... not a missle with huge aerlions.

Mine loves to go for the sky, too- this was the first flight, and I think
I wanna do some trimming with the rods. Maybe move the battery forward?
That said, on full poot, it'll climb on its nose on a full battery.
It's an ok indoor plane, if you're quick. Throttle chop,
quick stop, reasonable glide angle.

I was afraid of its "warbird" status... mistake! Yes, it's a fast, responsive
plane, but it actually FLIES great at low speed. I can see why these things
were so good all those years ago....

(yes, I'm all excited. It's a ton of fun!)

t
Old 03-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Steve
Vermont Electric

I've flown both indoors. I prefer the P-51...it's a bit slower. BUT, you run out of room on both indoors real quick. Both will really get up and go for their size, so you have to keep on your toes. Neither one would qualify for "relaxing indoor flight" unless you're flying in a stadium. We fly in a basketball court size area. If I had to do it over again, I would purchase an Ember to start and then a 4-site for indoor acrobatics.

Outdoors, I would prefer the Sukhoi, but the P-51 flies great too and it's a lot of fun when you have unlimited flying space.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:08 PM
reelachs

I agree
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 PM
RMG

I know this is an old thread, but I am reading about people that had some issues with the UMP51 climbing for the sky and have a couple tips.

First... I love my P51, it is a great little plane and was my first 4 channel. When you get it, check all control surfaces, I do find them out of adjustment from the factory usually. You want to straighten them all, gently open or close the the u-shaped bent areas of the control rods until they are all dead on straight. Do this and it will fly perfectly straight out of the box. Battery placement will effect flight for sure. I bought a few 150MAH Ares batteries which are a little longer than the stock ones. The size of these batteries are absolutely perfect for the plane. You have to shave a little front and rear foam from the mounting area... just enough for a perfect fit. (If anyone wants pics I can post) The plane will actually fly better with this, the weight difference/location change seems to stabilize it a bit. Also worth noting I removed all landing gear, and added 2mm carbon fiber support rods on both sides of the tail/rudder structure only. (again, pics if you need them) My P51 will fly straight as an arrow at anything above 1/3 throttle. Even at full throttle she will not climb unless asked to. Well... as long as wind is below 5mph lol.

Last edited by RMG; 02-15-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Brick
small Member

P-51

Old 02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
sooby

I would go with the P-51. The only problem with the P-51 is that the tail breaks really easy. Because the rudder and wheel are connected, the tail breaks easily. I bought the P-51 as my first airplane and loved it. I destroyed my first one but learned real quick to keep it high up in the air to allow for mistakes. It is a bit faster than I thought it would be and wouldn't recommend the route I took. BTW, don't think that if you can fly the micro P-51 and then go to the bigger BL P-51. That ended in disaster so if anybody is interested in the brand new reciever and electronics from this plane email me wadefmeadows @ gmail.com. I would personnally just stick with the P-51 though.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM
sooby

RMG could you send me those pics or because I cannot post email addresses, post them. I re-enforced my main wings with cf rods as well. I have many problems with the tail breaking on this one.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 AM
RMG

Originally Posted by sooby View Post
RMG could you send me those pics or because I cannot post email addresses, post them. I re-enforced my main wings with cf rods as well. I have many problems with the tail breaking on this one.
It is the weak point, but the CF rods will make it very strong. I'll try to get the pics up tomorrow, but for now.. you need to find a 1mm carbon fiber rod, foam-safe CA, and clear tape.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Brick
small Member

good CF mounting support info here

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53985