ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Quickly becoming my favorite

Old 03-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Pokke
E-Flight Newbie

Default Quickly becoming my favorite

I took the electric fleet to the flying field today. Winds were more calm today than they've been in a long time. I'd say we had steady 6 - 8 mph most of the time, but we went through some gusty periods where we kicked back and talked.

I brought the following:

Slow Stick (with the brushless motor and 2 cell pack)

The World Models P-51 'Miss America' Mustang

The 3D Foamy F-18 Pusher jet (designed by Jetset44)

I flew all of them at least twice, but I kept going back to the F-18. This bird is just a true pleasure to fly. It tracks well, is airborn with a quick toss and slows down on landings. I'm using a 2200 Mah 3 cell pack by Electric Power and it's driving a 30a esc with an Axi 2212/20 turning a 9x6 prop. At the end of the day, I switched over to a 9x7.5 prop and that seems to add to the top end.

The Mustang is faster and flys super. It does some nice passes and looks fantastic in the air. The Slow Stick is a fun plane for casual flying and prefers dead calm air, but I wasn't having any problems with it. But the F-18 was just comfortable if that makes any sense at all.

Top it off with the fact that I've cut it out to hold my super small video camera for in-flight footage and what can I say? This jet is quickly becoming my favorite bird in the fleet!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

My favorite lately is the EasyStar! I challenge myself to get more and more flight time out of a 900 mAh NiMH pack. I'm up to 22 minutes.

It glides well, can thermal a bit, is very stable & hard to stall, looks great in the air... it's got a lot going for it. I'm sad to admit it, but I like it better than the EasyGlider Electric so far. It doesn't ask as much of me to give me a good time, if that makes any sense.

I flew the brushless Formosa after that. While it is just as much fun, I don't really want to fly it all day. It's just too much concentration after a while.

The brushless TwinStar II, is also a blast, kind of right between the Formosa and EasyStar, concentration-wise. It is fast & smooth, and great in the wind. (due to its porky 3.5 lb. AUW)

All in all, I flew for about 5 hours today. Tomorrow, the wind is supposed to be slower and less gusty, so that should be good pickins for the EasyStar.

With the weather slowly going towards spring, I'm hard-up to keep working on finishing the couple kits I have left to build.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:51 AM
DangerBird
Bunker Mentality...

Lately, its my Tigermoth and Pico Cub. Awesone dead air fliers and will be used for our night flying season. several hours on each and I now see what all the fuss is about especially with the Moth. More planes here than I have time to fly.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Pokke
E-Flight Newbie

Different bird for the conditions...

Last night was a very calm evening and though I hadn't planned to fly, I couldn't resist. I didn't have time to make it to the flying field, so I put the Slow Stick in the back of the car and went 3 blocks to the new park. I had a great time and introduced a couple new people to the world of R/C!

It's good to have different types of planes for different situations. I really like the brushless powered Slow Stick because 1) they're cheap 2) they fly very easy and 3) they are relaxing. When I want to do more exciting action, I pack up and head to the flying field.