Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Parkzone Radian RTF CG way out of whack

Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 AM
yorkiepap

[QUOTE=Vulcaneer;1004105]

Some of your advice is very helpful. I will offer that when climbing out a sailplane to altitude, it is counterintuitive for me to need to apply copius amounts of down elevator for gaining altitude in a more controlled way. I will accept and appreciate your advice there. But will also offer....that down elevator...to go up thing, is kinda wierd...for me.

Hey V,
I have my Radian CG set to level at 63mm & I set the ELEV w/3 clicks of UP trim at altitude to keep it perfectly level gliding & avoid any porpoising. Those 3 clicks of UP ELEV will cause the Radian to do a loop if I launch at full THR.. I launch at 2/3 THR & as the Radian climbs, I go to full THR & push the ELEV stick forward(DN ELEV) to avoid a loop. This keeps the glider climbing at a straight 60 deg. climb angle for the 30sec I power. Once power is off, I let the ELEV stick go back to neutral & start to hunt for thermals watching the wingtips for a rise. I know it may seem "weird" for you, although, in time, you will find that it is quite easy to master. It's just the "nature-of-the-beast", so to speak. Both my Radians are the older Parkzone & I've never had to change the ELEV decalage as it came from the factory as some have had to do. Yup...as far as the stock spinners....GARBAGE! I replaced them as well as the prop to a Graupner CAM. Hope this helps a bit as you get into the Radians "nature".

Denny
Old 03-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Vulcaneer

Hi Yorkiepap,

Thank you for your informative post. I do appreciate your hints on the correct method of climbing with the Radian. As well as trim settings to eleiminate porposing at altitude.

At this time I have repaired my original fuse, even though I have received a new replacement. Saving that for the future. And I have replaced the stripped elevator servo. And replaced ESC to a new 30A stock job, thanks to HH customer warantee service. Have also replaced stock props and hub with Aloft Aerocam 10X8 props and Cularis spinner and hub. Have repositioned CG to about 2.5" (63mm) from LE.

Am considering to prop down to 9x6, or so, to try to depower for more controlled climb characteristics. Thought I might try it out. Because a 2/3 throttle launch results in severe loop. Anything more than 1/4 throttle with stock prop is a loop. But I do need to practice that down elevator launch technique.

Truthfully, every other plane that I have ever owned needed up elevator at launch. And full or near full throttle. Regardless of ROG or hand launch. So applying down elevator at launch is going to be tough for me to get used to. But I can do it, easily enough.

Have been unable to take it back up. Lifes schedule and weather/wind have been in conflict at this point.

Will heed your suggestions and try them out.

Last edited by Vulcaneer; 03-02-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:24 PM
yorkiepap

Hey V,
I hope I wasn't confusing you with my launch technique. I don't apply any ELEV input on launch. I launch at 1/2- 2/3 THR with the ELEV stick at neutral. The Radian will start to climb gradually & as I increase THR to MAX, it is then I start to apply DN ELEV to keep the Radian at a constant 60deg climb angle. My Radian really has gobs of power with the prop I use & will do 600' easily in 30sec. Try your launch at 1/2- 2/3 THR with a slight upward angle, leave the ELEV at neutral, & as the Radian climbs, apply full power to see the extent of climb your Radian will go before it wants to completely do a loop. As the glider reaches the point of almost vertical, THEN start to apply DN ELEV to level it out. After a few launches like that, you will get a real good idea of the control inputs you will need & after that , it will become second nature to you. Keep us posted on your progress/success. GOOD LUCK...

Denny
Old 03-03-2017, 01:26 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Vulcaneer View Post
And I have replaced the stripped elevator servo.
That's something I forgot to mention. I've found the eFlite servos to be very bad. I'm using Hobby King's cheap $2.00 HK15178 servos and they're markedly better than the eFlites. Get yourself some 9 gram metal gear servos and toss the eFlites in the garbage in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Vulcaneer View Post
And replaced ESC to a new 30A stock job, thanks to HH customer warantee service. Have also replaced stock props and hub with Aloft Aerocam 10X8 props and Cularis spinner and hub. Have repositioned CG to about 2.5" (63mm) from LE.
If the eFlite ESC doesn't work, you'll never have a hiccup with a Hobby King Plush 30A, another bulletproof replacement. AEAJR has the lowdown on best props for the Radian as he needs to get to altitude in under 30 seconds. Going his way will make your Radian climb faster. To slow it down just reduce throttle.

On climbout, don't slam the throttle forward. Feed it in gradually as you balance with elevator to maintain your 60 degree climb. A few times and it becomes automatic. If you DO find yourself over on your back just reduce throttle. Feed in a little gentle up elevator to just complete the loop. Let it continue to your 60 degree climb angle, mix in throttle and rudder. Then claim you just wanted to try a loop on climbout and continue as if you planned it. DARE 'em to say different.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Vulcaneer

Great advice on the Hobby King stuff. Never really ordered many parts from them. A stupid reason...they have so much to select from, I never know which ime to order. So your suggestions are appreciated.

I need to put together a shopping list for servos, esc', rx's, and batteries. Gotta try the Turnigy Graphene 3s jobs.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:32 PM
yorkiepap

Hey V,
+1 with RR's suggestion for using the Turnigy Plush ESC's. I use the Plush ESC's in ALL my planes from 30A to 100A....rock solid. In addition, I use the Turnigy ESC Programming Cards that make setting up the ESC a snap. HK also has the Corona MG servos that are great if you need to replace a bad servo & are quite inexpensive. Attached are links & pics....

Denny

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ontroller.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ming-card.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/corona-9...sec-12-5g.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ESCProgCd1.JPG (264.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg
ESCProgCd3.JPG (283.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
Hey V,
+1 with RR's suggestion for using the Turnigy Plush ESC's. I use the Plush ESC's in ALL my planes from 30A to 100A....rock solid. In addition, I use the Turnigy ESC Programming Cards that make setting up the ESC a snap. HK also has the Corona MG servos that are great if you need to replace a bad servo & are quite inexpensive. Attached are links & pics....

Denny
Thumbs up on the Corona MG's too. Put a pair on my flying wing and they've been flawless.