Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Fractured lower vertebrae

Old 07-03-2022, 10:32 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Fractured lower vertebrae

So I get into silly argument ....

Later outside on slippery ceramic tiles - in surprise get hit ... feet slide out from under me and BHAM .... I'm down.

I have never felt such overwhelming pain .....

Stupidly I think go home and maybed few days later will be ok ... but day later - I cannot stand up.

Ambulance .... Xrays .... CT Scans ..... Fractured #3 Lumbar Vertebrae.

2 days later - surgery to 'weld' vertebrae back together ... next day home.

Now I have to get walking again ... pain killers ..... so no RC'g for at least a few months .... and no boating !!

What doesn't help is that the left hip and knee were banged as well ... adding to the pain.

Looks like about a month to walkreasonably again - but two months of not twisting or straining the surgery.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:16 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I wish you well my friend, don't push it too hard.

In January I was holding my little Pekinese dog in my left arm, stepped beside my car and the next thing I know is that I am trying to do a one-armed push-up at 74 years old. 44years ago I could do them just fine, The ground came at me and I managed to stop with just a kiss of the asphalt on my chin.
I looked down and realized I was on a quarter-inch of black ice. why my hand didn't slip out I have NO idea, If it had I would have smashed my face straight into the asphalt and been seriously injured, at the least my jaw broken in a few places.
My right arm is still complaining about being so mistreated, some days I still can not use it. This is 6 months!!

We just don't heal up as quickly as we did Nigel. Your injury is much worse than mine, I can only guess at the pain.
Hope you had a pretty nurse.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:49 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Sure hate to hear this Nigel. Listen to the doctors and your body and heal well. Better a few months of no boating and flying then years of extra pain.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:29 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Walking again ...slowly and painfully ... but getting there day by day.

Still not allowed to sit up straight .... but can raise pillows etc to sit partly up.

Bit I hate .... have to sleep flat on back. I usually sleep on right side with knees drawn up.

As I understand it ... I have too keep vertebrae straight as much as possible to allow bone to reform and work with the 'plastic glue' ....

Late August - I have Xrays to make sure all gone as planned.....
Old 07-31-2022, 02:30 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Back doing any better Nigel? Healing is a slow process.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:00 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hi Don ... tks for asking.

I'm getting around now .. but have to be careful not to push too much. I take a walk round garden each day but still have to recline on bed for most of the time. Still taking Pain Killers .. but I reckon I can wean of those soon.

Don't tell Wife ... but while in bed earlier today - I clicked BUY .... the large Sopwith Camel 'balsa kit' from Hobby King (Dancing Wings) ... thought I needed something to change my mood.

Friday - one of our dogs .. Sherry ... Doberman / Alsation cross ... had to be 'retired' ... called Vet out to the house ... She was near 15yrs old. Very sad as she was totally devoted to us ...

Seems not to be my year ....

Thanks again.
Nigel
Old 07-31-2022, 07:45 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Glad to hear you're making progress Nigel and clicked on that Buy button. Hate to read about Sherry but sounds like she had a good long life.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:48 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I am so sorry about the loss of your dog.
I have gone through it several times, I know how hard it is to lose a member of your family.
We are sort of braced for it too, we have dogs at 14, 12, and 11 years old. One is diabetic and that can go wrong suddenly.

I hope you get much better soon, but don't push too hard.
It would be difficult to fly RC from your bed. Although my daughters bought me a folding lounge-type chair they called it my glider chair.

So sorry you got hurt, my friend,
After many years in construction, and some of the things that happened to me, I do not understand how or why I am still alive and in relively good shape for 74yo.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:10 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Tks WF ...

I suppose after 66yrs of getting away without breaking bones .. it caught uop with me !

This morning woke up feeling very sad ... Wife and I had already agreed we would wait a bit before getting another Dog. But this morning - I thought about it. We are already over halfway through the year and our present Dog - Lana - is 10yrs old. She is an incredible 'mother dog' adopts any other we bring in ... she's mothered two cats !
Thoughts of maybe better to find Dog now and then when winter comes - already trained etc.

I looked online just out of interest and I found a Brother and Sister of mixed 'blood' 7 wks old... I showed Wife and next I knew we were on our way ...

1 hour later ... we got home ... gave both a good anti-pest wash as they both had spent all time outside in a yard with their 'mum'.

(That was not so easy on me to stand and hold both ... I bet my back will make me pay price !!).

They met our 4 cats and Lana our mixed Alsation / ??? Dog ....

They gobbled up all food we offered ... and then >>>>>>

Being Brother and Sister .......... the only names that seemed to sujit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bonnie and Clyde !!
Old 08-01-2022, 09:12 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

VERY nice, I am sure Bonnie and Clyde will give you many years of love, as you and your wife will give them.

I know what you mean about getting away without breaking bones.
At 46 I was blown backward through the air about 20' holding on to a 4" concrete hose that had gotten a big charge of air compressed to 2200psi. Blew concrete well over 100'.
I slammed into a soft dirt wall about 10; off the ground, then fell to earth just before the second bubble hit and slammed me back into the wall.
Somehow I walked away with just a few sore muscles and was holding the hose again about 20 minutes later.
That would have been a youtube thing for sure
I was hose man because I was the toughest SOB on the job.
And that's just one of the things that happened to me where I should have ended up in the hospital.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:22 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

i've had my moments ...

About 8yrs old - was shot just above left ear by crazy guy with high powered air rifle.... hospital job.

About 10yrs old ... did an amazing somersault still sitting on the bike when hurtling downhil ... straight into brothers bike at side of road. Bruises everywhere !

1987 ... Pascagoula, Mississippi .. stepped of high platform on ships deck .. slipped on wet deck, left foot folded under .... CRACK .. Ambulance to Singing River Hospital ... xray showed a 'chip' had detached from around the ankle joint. Plastered up and flown home. Was advised by US and UK doctors that the 'chip' would never go back and difficult to remove .. that I would likely suffer arthritis / rheumatism there later ........ yep - most mornings it has twinges !!

So all in all .. I think I've been lucky till now.

The new pair .... Clyde - he's really quiet and sweet ... but Bonnie, she is showing she's going to be a real character ... already driving Wife nuts !
Old 08-04-2022, 09:46 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Yeah, I have had many crazy moments also, too many to remember all of them at one time.
I have NO idea how I managed to stay alive this long. I am 74
Old 08-06-2022, 08:23 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OOOP'S ......

Wife took phone call yesterday from Courier ....

10mins later >

Wife : Nigel - so what did courier bring ?
Me : Oh nothing really .. something I'd forgotten about ..
Wife : Oh what was that ??
Me : Some model stuff I ordered way back ......

I'm trying to avoid answering fully ....

Wife : Is it a new model ?
Me : Well yes .. but ...................

Wife walks off in a moody !!

It was Hobby King wood kit : 1520mm Sopwith Camel ...

I'd been eyeing this as a Dogfight model to fly against my friends 1400mm DR1 ..... and I thought with laid-up with injury - I needed a 'treat' .....

I never expected courier to call the Wife !!
Old 08-17-2022, 05:59 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Had X-rays Monday ..... met with Surgeon today ..

Surgery a success but still need to take care for another 4 - 5 months ...

But as suspected - I have a different problem of around the area joining to hips .... it aches all time and sometimes stabbing pain for an instant. Tomorrow I have 'blocker' injection to see what effect ... then after 2 weeks when it wears off - see what then. Likely that then will be MRI to see whats going on.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:21 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Good to hear you're making progress but not about that pain. Hope the MRI sorts out whats going on.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:41 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Initially they just said it was compressed nerves from the fall .... but I was not so sure. Near two months on and I still have stiffness and odd pain stabs etc. plus a near constant ache.

Blocker - in couple of hours will be in for the injections ... but I cannot see that it will sort it.

If I need MRI - I will most likely have to pay privately as with the 'Govt subsidised' near free health here - system is booked for months. If I pay I can slot in as needed ... then pass the receipt via tax to get about 40% back ...

Lets see ...

Anyway - glad to have good news about vertebrae. I may be travelling to Dubai soon if Doctor ok's it ... have business to sort.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:29 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Get Better soon Nigel, Sorry to hear about your mishap, I dont even get on Ladders anymore, I have had my knees give out from under me from time to time, Take care and get back Flying Chellie
Old 08-30-2022, 07:26 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Cheers Chellie.

MRI done .. now wait Doctors report.