New to cp heli's need some help please - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

New to cp heli's need some help please

Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 PM
jasey boy

Default New to cp heli's need some help please

Just got a honey bee cp2, i have 2 questions; 1 should the cp2 be able to take of with out flicking the idle swich and 2 when i push the left stick forward in idle mode i get no lift, no lift....no lift then wush supper lift and the motor bogs down, its not smooth its very sudden. New to site as well so hello everyone, and would be glad of some help, thanks in advance
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Drifter

That doesn't sound at all right to me, something is wrong.

Welcome BTW
Old 10-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

What are you using for a transmitter?

It sounds like maybe the idle up pitch curve isn't set right.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:58 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jasey boy View Post
Just got a honey bee cp2, i have 2 questions; 1 should the cp2 be able to take of with out flicking the idle swich and 2 when i push the left stick forward in idle mode i get no lift, no lift....no lift then wush supper lift and the motor bogs down, its not smooth its very sudden. New to site as well so hello everyone, and would be glad of some help, thanks in advance
First question .... Have you set the throttle range of the ESC ? I had a model that 'jumped' throttle from 0 to full and was uncontrolled ... ESC hadn't been set-up to Tx throttle range.

Usual way is to put throttle to full, switch on TX ... power up heli ... BEEP ... pull throttle stick to 0 .... BEEP BEEP ... leave well alone and then get the Dodah music telling all is well. you only need to do once unless you modify / alter / replace ESC / TX or something ....
So once sorted - you always power up with throttle at 0 position.

Another question ... you say Idle switch ... wondering if it's the Throttle Hold switch ? Engaging that will basically stop motor from powering up, flick switch and it puts motor back in service. I use it as safety switch when near the heli / plane.

mmmmmmm thoughts of throttle stick not at 0 ... throttle hold switch engaged ... what would happen as a result if you power up tx / Heli with that and then switch throttle hold of ?

Just a thought ... as I don't know what radio etc. you have.

Ok - there is one point to remember ....... Idle Up switch is for advanced flying and IMHO to be avoided until you are proficient. In Idle Up mode ... a CP heli has max throttle at 0 stick ... reducing to lower at mid stick and increasing to max again at full stick throttle position. This is to give inverted as well as right way up flight. Pitch of main blades goes from full negative at 0 throttle ... through zero pitch at mid point and up to max positive pitch at full stick throttle position. Therefore on ground no take-off, Idle Up throttle position is mid stick. Motor will be spinning at highish speed. push stick fwd (up) and speed will increase slightly but pitch will increase much more ... lift will occur. If you pull stick back lower than mid point - pitch will go negative and heli is being forced INTO ground / down ...
As a beginner ... forget Idle Up ... you want to fly NORMAL curve mode ... where throttle stick full back is on ground position and no rotor / motor spin up. Edge throttle stick fwd (up) and rotors will start to spin up ... pitch will start to go positive and a more controlled lift increase will occur. With normal mode - lift is usually about 60% throttle stick position ..... because we co-ordinate mid stick position to be same for Idle Up and Normal - to allow smooth changes when flicking switch.

Hope above helps ....
Old 10-04-2011, 12:23 PM
zeta30
Team Mulikow

I agree with Heli Jim, It just sounds like your pitch curves aren't set up right. At mid stick, no matter if you are in Normal mode or Idle up your blades should have 0 degrees pitch, then when the left stick is pushed all the way forward the blades should have the max amount of pitch you want, (say 10 or 11 degrees).

When you have the stick all the way back I would suggest Normal mode pitch to be set at around 2 degrees negative. Idle up would be around -10 or -11.

solentlife has some very good suggestions too regarding setting up your ESC.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 PM
jasey boy

Thanks for the response, just to be clear, when i push the left stick forward i do get rotation up to full speed its the pitch that suddenly kicks in. I have watched all the set up vids and set it up as i saw. Disconnect motors, set throttle to half way and set the pitch to 0 degs. then pushed it forward ( motors still disconnected) and i do get about 10 deg of pitch. Add rotation into the mix and the blades don't seem to lift the heli smoothly, i even have to move the trim to get it to lift, then it goes straight up and i have to reduce throttle alot to get it back under control, once this sudden movement has happened the heli and pitch seem to work fine, its like it struggles to change that initial pitch. I cannot do a smooth take of into a controlled hover unless i have about 100ft of sky above me to get this baby back down. Thanks again and maybe this extra info will help you guys solve this problem for me, I am most great full. Im not a complete novice, i have flown FP helis, with some degree of skill for some time, my move to CP has not been as smooth as i hoped, I blame the second hand overly pimped heli that dont fly, i bought. I will get it into the air! Thanks Again
Old 10-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Drifter

Sounds like the swash is getting jammed when the blades are spinning and the servos can't move it up, then it gets past a bind and goes right to full pitch.

Main shaft bent?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 PM
jasey boy

Like your thinking drifter will check that out, new main shaft may sort it out you think?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Drifter

What you'll need to do is strip down the head completely and test all the shafts by rolling them along a flat surface. A sheet of glass is ideal. You will easily be able to tell if they are bent as they won't roll smoothly. Replace any that are bent.

Check the swashplate too, look at the bushings that ride on the main shaft. Replace if worn. Check all linkages for slop or binding, renew/adjust as required.

Whenever I bought a secondhand RC car, the first thing I did was strip it down and check everything. Amazing what you often find under the skin.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
What you'll need to do is strip down the head completely and test all the shafts by rolling them along a flat surface. A sheet of glass is ideal. You will easily be able to tell if they are bent as they won't roll smoothly. Replace any that are bent.

Check the swashplate too, look at the bushings that ride on the main shaft. Replace if worn. Check all linkages for slop or binding, renew/adjust as required.

Whenever I bought a secondhand RC car, the first thing I did was strip it down and check everything. Amazing what you often find under the skin.
The easiest way to check for bent shaft is a) watch rotor / head when it's spooling up / down ...... you will see button on top prescribe a circle as the bent shaft turns , b) dismantle all and remove shaft ... insert into a hand battery drill ... spin up drill ... you'll see shaft wobble if bent ...

Sheet glass is accepted way but you need to make sure the glass is not over counter cheap float glass - which is not absolutely flat smooth ... ever noticed distorted view through window ?

Binding of swash on shaft can be dirt, dust, lack of light lubricating, damage in form of scratch ridge / notch .... for bent shafts they usually bend at the notch that is machined in where collar sits ...

It really seems like a dismantle, refit in stages until failure happens ... to find the culprit.