X-Plane as sim... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

X-Plane as sim...

Old 12-29-2007, 07:28 PM
treaves

Default X-Plane as sim...

My son and I both received Blade CX2's for Christmas. We're very excited, and have started learning to fly. Looking around, several sources say that using a sim can greatly decrease learning time. I'm all for that.

As a Mac user, X-Plane is my only option. I've found several posts of where people mention that they are using X-Plane as a sim for their Blade's, but I can't find info on how to configure X-Plane (for sim).

I have X-Plane downloaded and installed (the demo, version 8.x). Would someone point me to any existing info on what else needs to be downloaded, and how to properly configure X-Plane?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:19 PM
bassplayinDude

As a fellow Mac OS X user all I can say is, I feel your pain. I messed with the X-Plane demo a while ago and wasn't able to get it working for me. I hope you have better. Luck than I did, but honestly, if you plan on running a sim you'll have to consider a native Windows install either using Bootcamp or getting a Windows box. I have an old HP laptop that I use to run FMS, as FMS is free and has low GPU requirements compared with any of the big names.

There are a couple of free OSS sims available for OS X of you want to try those first. One is called CRRCSIM, Google that name and you should get to it easily. I don't remember if it was a plane-only sim though.

Good luck and please respond if you find anything for OS X.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:32 PM
treaves

Thanks for the response!

I got another response from the X-Plane forum itself as well. The person there that responded is the one that has written the two RC Heli models that ship with X-Plane (both the 8.x and new 9 beta). I've got 9 beta running, and now that I know a little of how to navigate the menu's, have got the model running.

There are several things that make it sub-par though: engine is always running and placement of 'yourself' in the model are the two biggest. I suppose the engine issue wouldn't be as big if I was into the nitro heli's.

I think I'll go ahead and git one of the kits that lets you use a real TX now that the company that makes them supports the Mac. See what that's like then. If I think it's close, I may just stick with that.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 PM
bassplayinDude

The placement is what was the hardest for me with X-Plane. Since it's a flying sim, not specifically an RC sim, I can't practice control reversal when my plane or heli is flying towards me. This is my weakest skill at the moment so my sim needs include flying from a fixed point, not sitting in the cockpit.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM
tyrick69

I'm not really familiar with x plane but I saw a video or 2 on youtube of an plane landing in x plane and the perspective was from the tower view. I've been using Microsoft's Flight Simulator X to practice flying my Blade CP as well as a few RC planes. I just set it up for the tower view and then just fly around the airport. With FSX you can even speed up the simulation rate so I usually run it at 2x which makes the helis/planes act a little more RC like. Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:17 PM
bassplayinDude

I found another flight sim that works in OS X. It's called RC Helicopter Simulator and it's available free of charge. The original download comes with two locations and two helis, but more can be downloaded from the website.