Begginer scratch build. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Begginer scratch build.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:23 AM
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

Default Begginer scratch build.

I am looking at scratch building a rc plane, but i am stuck as to wich plans to build.
I have found thousands of plans online, but i have been able to find a good opinion as to which plans are the best for a first time scratch build.

To you experianced builders, could you please post in this thread what plane you built as your first scratch, and if you found it a easy plane.

I have what i belive to be a preety good fitout tools wize, but i have only ever built free flight gliders so far, so is their any fancy equitment i will need?

I am not a very good pilot, as i lack experiance, but this build does not have to match my flying level, if it is a good first build, i am quite happy to let it sit on a shelf untill my flying skills improve.

Are good begginer planes neccicaryly good begginer builds, from what i have seen they dont seem to be any less complicated, in fact, alot of warbirds seem less hard than a J3 Cub.

Thanks in advance,
Spit
Old 01-26-2007, 03:46 PM
JoeBruce

I haven't built this myself, as I am still at the RTF stage (in fact, my first RTF is "in the mail"). That said, I have done some looking as well and read lots of good things about the STC - free plans available on RCGroups, and it is designed for beginning builders / flyers:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=354237%20STC
Old 01-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
If you're going to scratch build, the design will be as complicated as *you* design it to be. If on the other hand you're doing a *plans* build, you'll kinda have to go with what the designer did.

My first scratch build was a ukie design for a special event called "Biplane slow combat" and was very loosly based on the Beechcraft "Stagger wing". A simple design, profile fuse and wings based on the Dumas "Spectrum" fast combat wing (or was it a "Winder"?). I think I was nine or ten years old at the time.

My first plans build was a centerfold plan from American Aircraft Modeler, a "For the tenderfoot" plan for a lifting body, I think.

My first r/c plans build was a "Curare" pattern plane, or was it a "Mach one"? Something like that anyway.

For your first build, look for box style fuses, high wing shoulder or cain job as it would be easier to fly. Stay away from things like laminated wingtips or tail surfaces at first, maybe look for slab sides and tails over stick type builds. Unless that is you want to go with a profile foamie, those are generally simple enough that you could easily design one from a three view.
If you gave more details on what you want I could get more specific.
RobII
Old 01-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Smile Check this out and see if you like it.

I can recommend this little Piper Cub that formerly appeared in my avatar. It's a plan from Carl Rankin. You can reach him by e-mail at [email protected]. I am a beginner and this thing will take off from asphalt or concrete and you will be too excited to believe the d_mn thing is flying.

Bob

P.S. Carl has new web site at www.flyingpuppets.org

Last edited by Voyager2lcats; 09-07-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: 1. Changed avatar, 2. Web site link
Old 01-26-2007, 10:20 PM
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

haven't built this myself, as I am still at the RTF stage (in fact, my first RTF is "in the mail"). That said, I have done some looking as well and read lots of good things about the STC - free plans available on RCGroups, and it is designed for beginning builders / flyers:

I had a look at this site and i cant get the plans to load, maby a faulty link?

Hey now,
If you're going to scratch build, the design will be as complicated as *you* design it to be. If on the other hand you're doing a *plans* build, you'll kinda have to go with what the designer did.
Sorry for the confusion, i meant plans building, i got confuzzled.

I can recommend this little Piper Cub that appears in my avatar. It's a plan from Carl Rankin. You can reach him by e-mail at [email protected]. I am a beginner and this thing will take off from asphalt or concrete and you will be too excited to believe the d_mn thing is flying.
I have already got plans on my computer for that, dosent look to bad, thats on my list.

Has anyone ever built a zagi flying wing, i have plans for it and it looks fairly easy, although i was more looking at a electric, not a glider.

I have also been looking at kits, has anyone ever built any of the simple series http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...le_corsair.htm
They are cheap and look pretty good, so the only question is if they fly and build good.

Thanks for your help.
Spit
Old 01-26-2007, 10:25 PM
JoeBruce

Unhappy

Originally Posted by spitace View Post
I had a look at this site and i cant get the plans to load, maby a faulty link?
If you PM me your email address, I can email the PDFs to you. I tried it myself, and it just timed out. I downloaded the PDFs just a couple days ago, so maybe there's a temporary problem with their web server or something.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:54 AM
Boomerang

Sometimes it pays to look closer to home! These are free plans available from Paul L Daniels in Australia:
http://www.pldaniels.com/flying/index.html?page=plans

The model is called the Easybox & the plans are here to download:
http://www.pldaniels.com/flying/easybox-a4.pdf

You can read a review & see the finished product here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597303

Is it too basic for you? - John.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:17 AM
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

That easy box looks awsome, have you ever built one, if so did you get the kit or build from plans?
Is that company in NSW?
Now im torn between that and the simple f4u corsair, do you have any experiance with latter?

To basic for me.... nothing is to basic for me

Spit
Old 01-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Hey Spit,
Good for you to be looking to build a plane. I've built a few in days gone by.. Most important is to build something that you like.. Sure, it should probably be a high wing craft so it is more forgiving to someone with not much experience.. I used to build on a flat and straight piece of pine board to line up my components for the wing, fuselage frame etc. And hold everything down with pins while drying..Keeping everything straight from the start is so important.. save you a lot of trouble later in the build.
I believe nowadays, you can purchase different kinds of jigs and fixtures that are not too expensive and they will take the place of the pine board and pins. Much better and more precise for your alignments and such.
Also, the glues,epoxies and other bonding agents have come a long way since I last built a plane.
But, I always looked forward to the results and was seldom dissapointed...Because, well I did build and/or designed this and it actually flies...
You will do very well with this project and I certainly wish you Good luck....and Have Fun!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 05:44 AM
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

Thanks airhead, i always like building planes.
It realy puts a smile on your face when that free flight glider you built takes off from your hand, then 2 secs later you have the joy of aplying more cement.

What do you think of the easy box airhead, i think it looks like a ecelent first build, and best of all i wouldent have to ship it from the states if i decided to go for the kit.

Has anyone got a opinion on the simple f4u corsair?

Thanks,
spit
Old 01-27-2007, 06:00 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Spit,
That easy box looks like a straight forward build.. Simple construction..Maybe perfect for the first build. And you'll learn a lot during your time on the bench with it. You'll have a great time....and.. your next, more complicated plane will be that much easier for you..
Oh, and after flight cementing and gluing...no extra charge for that..HeHe
I don't really know anything about that particular Corsair..sorry
Old 01-27-2007, 07:13 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default Scratch build

Hi Spitace, Here is a simple build, its all flat foam, its a bobcat/aerocat design, and they fly great too, its the best flying foamy I have
a simple 2409-12 Towerpro outrunner or equal and a 6x5.5 prop, will make it a 60 to 70 MPH aircraft, 30" wing span or better will work great,
If your interested I can send you some more pics to get you started, I built mine out of 1 sheet 30 x 20 in of 5mm foam board, Take care and have fun, Chellie

ps check out my DR1 build, this is my second foamy build, this is a challange, but I am getting a lot of help from members here.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15024
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0014keep.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	22966   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0015keep.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	22967  

Last edited by CHELLIE; 01-27-2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-27-2007, 07:35 AM
hookedonflyin

Originally Posted by JoeBruce View Post
I haven't built this myself, as I am still at the RTF stage (in fact, my first RTF is "in the mail"). That said, I have done some looking as well and read lots of good things about the STC - free plans available on RCGroups, and it is designed for beginning builders / flyers:

How do i get the plans to build that stc>? i went to the site but couldnt find actuall plans. I love that plane and want to build one, if anyone has info on plans for that stc i would much appreciate it. thanx
Old 01-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Spitace, Here is a simple build, its all flat foam, its a bobcat/aerocat design, and they fly great too, its the best flying foamy I have
a simple 2409-12 Towerpro outrunner or equal and a 6x5.5 prop, will make it a 60 to 70 MPH aircraft, 30" wing span or better will work great,
If your interested I can send you some more pics to get you started, I built mine out of 1 sheet 30 x 20 in of 5mm foam board, Take care and have fun, Chellie

ps check out my DR1 build, this is my second foamy build, this is a challange, but I am getting a lot of help from members here.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15024
Hi Chellie,
That is one fine looking aircraft. Youdid a great job.. I would also like to build something like that. Wouldn't mind seeing some more pictures of the build etc..Thanks
Good job...
Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 AM
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

I agree with airhead, very nice plane, with a eccelent trim scheme to match. that looks like a good combat plane.
Do you have plans, or just pics?

I love the painting of your other plane, the DR1 it is realy realistic.

I think i will go with the easybox, mainly because of the added bonus that once i have finnished it, i might actualy have the experiance to fly it strait away.

Boomarang, have you actuly built the easy box, if so did you do the kit or plan option.

Good job on the planes and keep up the good work
Old 01-27-2007, 10:08 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default scratch built pusher

Hi Airhead , Hi spitace here are some more pics of a pusher jet underside to show where everything goes I used these pics to give me a good idea of what it will look like during the build, mine is close to the aerocat , I built the nose and wing with one piece, my booms are a little differant, but you can make them any way you want too, these pics give a good basic idea, and then you go from there, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aerocat underside.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	22968   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0014keep.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	22970   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0018keep.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	22971   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0016keep.jpg
Views:	3494
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	22972  
Old 01-27-2007, 10:21 AM
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

can you post profile shots, and if you have any spare bits lying around could you photo them separatly, that would be a big help.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:27 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default pusher jet

can you post profile shots, and if you have any spare bits lying around could you photo them separatly, that would be a big help.

Here you go, some more pics, these help alot, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6345
Old 01-27-2007, 11:20 AM
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

wow i dident realize sombody sold them, i thought it was just you making them from scratch.

I realy appreciate everyones posts here, when i get the kit i will do a build thread.
That wont be for a couple of months so i am still open to suggestions, any more ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.

I
Old 01-27-2007, 03:14 PM
JoeBruce

Originally Posted by hookedonflyin View Post
How do i get the plans to build that stc>? i went to the site but couldnt find actuall plans. I love that plane and want to build one, if anyone has info on plans for that stc i would much appreciate it. thanx
I heard from someone else that the web site wasn't working properly. Fortunately I already grabbed the plans and build guide. For anyone who wants 'em, just PM me your email address and I'd be happy to send them.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:18 PM
JoeBruce

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Hi Chellie,
That is one fine looking aircraft. Youdid a great job.. I would also like to build something like that. Wouldn't mind seeing some more pictures of the build etc..Thanks
Good job...
I agree with Bruce -- sweet looking plane! I'll have to refer back to this thread once I develop the skill to actually fly something like that! Nice work.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:18 AM
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

Thanks for sending the plans joe they look good, is the fusalage sposed to be made of foam?
If so then i might have a probolem, i have no experiance whatsoever working with foam unless you count helping shape my freinds boat, and that was diferent hevier stuff.
I was planing to have my first build as a basla box type fuse, and stick and tissue\solarfilm wing, but their is a teacher at the aeromodeling club at school that could help me with doing foam.

If i decided i wanted to get a warbird, then what would you say is the best/easyist warbird kit, i am especialy interested in the F4U Vought Corsair.

Also i still havent got a opinion on the zagi flying wing, does anyone in the states fly them?

Thanks
spit
Old 01-28-2007, 04:30 AM
Boomerang

Hi Spit, I have not built one from the kit or plan. But look at it. It's so simple, a minimal model if you like, the plan is free, the motor & battery cheap. If you want to build from scratch it cannot be any easier. Plus it appears to fly great. I do not know where the company is located, it was not made obvious on the website.

If you have only built free flight gliders & have no R/C experience a Corsair of any type would be a poor choice. You need something that can fly by itself if needed while you get your nerves back in order! Models like the Easy Box can do that, Corsairs - no. - John.

Last edited by Boomerang; 01-28-2007 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:44 AM
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

This has not got all that much to do with my flying ability, if i did build a corsair then it would sit on the shelf for a long time, and im prepared for that, but i think the easybox seems like a great easy build.
I think the easybox will be my first build, and by that time i would prob be ready for a warbird type plane.

Zagi flying wing, anybody?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:45 AM
JoeBruce

Thanks for sending the plans joe they look good, is the fusalage sposed to be made of foam?
If so then i might have a probolem, i have no experiance whatsoever working with foam unless you count helping shape my freinds boat, and that was diferent hevier stuff.

Hey, spit. Yes, the whole thing is foam (w/ reinforcement). The build guide makes it look pretty easy, and a bunch of people have built and flown these as their first RC plane, so it can't be too tough. Reading through the build guide (which is excellent, by the way), I figured I could probably build it, and I haven't built anything like this, ever.

That said, I have a Challenger coming this week, so I'll learn to fly that before I spend time trying to build one! Maybe the STC will be plane #2...

Quick Reply: Begginer scratch build.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16161 seconds with 19 queries