R/C flight sims - is it really that hard to land? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

R/C flight sims - is it really that hard to land?

Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 AM
willo47

Question R/C flight sims - is it really that hard to land?

On Clearview R/C flight sim, landing on a lot of planes, such as the T-28, is hard, but I am starting to think that it is just the sims.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

SIMs don't have cross winds, sun glare, gusts, down drafts, and dead sticks.

So yeah, it can be challenging.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 AM
prof_fate

I find orientation on the sims at times to be a lot tougher than the real thing, as well as depth perception "issues" as a sim is 2D not 3. Also, some planes seem to land fine and others 'blow up' before they land.

I can fly the pitts, land it, do anything with nary an issue. The UMT28 is easier in some ways than the PZT28 which I"m not sure can be landed. I flying these the most as they're what I've got R/C planes of...the pitts is a piece of cake - fast, slow, whatever. The T28 needs to be kept fast to be controllable and rolls over way too often/easily.

The champ flies very much like a real champ, most coax helis are easier to fly in the sim than real life, the 450 heli is pretty close to real life. The 3D foamies are different in how they fly - one I can do most anything with and another i can barely fly.

Other than thumb training and perhaps trying out new stunts I'm not sure how much value the sim has to real flight. For the most part I've found flying planes easier than on the sim - but I'll let you know after I fly my T28 and pitts if I still feel that way.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:38 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

As people have told me, and I agree: The sim is kind of harder due to the lack of peripheral vision or depth perception and such, real flying is harder due to the pucker factor, no reset button!

I think the sim can be a great trainer for learning orientation. In Realflight, I made a scenery with just 4 tables, and just landed on them again and again with a downloaded CX2 helo, while turning the helo 90 degrees after each circuit. Just did it again and again and again. I think this orientation training, even though with an easy to fly co-ax helo, translates well to anything RC.

Oh, and to make it more realistic, definitely go into the options and turn on some wind and turbulence, if available. I almost never made the wind straight down the runway to keep it 'real'. In Realflight 3.5, which I still use, the wind can be changed with keyboard shortcuts, but you have to dig into the menus for turbulence settings.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:56 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by willo47 View Post
On Clearview R/C flight sim, landing on a lot of planes, such as the T-28, is hard, but I am starting to think that it is just the sims.
Some of those flight simulators have models that have a tendency to snap roll or similar on botched landing attempts. IMHO, that helps when you're flying the real thing and do something similar.

(I've got Realflight 5.5)
Old 12-03-2011, 08:20 AM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

I think the Phoenix sim is pretty incredible. It is not perfect and I have not tried any others but I have learned that you can edit the wind conditions and make them variable. You can also edit the models to make them harder to fly and more likely to say tip stall on landing. You can even apply features that will occasionally cause some type of failure. I have found it just about the same as far as difficulty level especially when it comes to landing.

All of this is very helpful but it is not that realistic in perspective. But compared to years past it is a quantum leap.

I have not flown Clearview so I don't know how well it works but I picked Phoenix because I could use my Spektrum transmitter so all the controls felt the same and were in the same location on the box. Real Flight kinda turned me off because of all the options you had to buy and it just seemed like a payment plan on an already more expensive product.

Can you set field conditions or plane setup on Clearview?

Dave
Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 AM
dkrhardy

The metric wind speed has me confused. I have NO idea what those speeds are!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:14 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Yes and no. Depth perception and field of vision are better in real life than in the sim, but environmental factors, such as sun glare and wind are more unpredictable in the real life.

Bottom line is this: If you practice and get really good at landing planes in the sim, you'll be able to take advantage of that at the field, but the real thing will feel different and sometimes more challenging.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:02 AM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

dkrhardy, the conversion factor is 5:8 , that is 5 mph = 8 kmh, 10 = 16, and so forth. To go from kmh to mph, multiply by .625, for example, 10 kmh = 6.25 mph, 20 kmh = 13.5 mph, etc.

Canada switched from English measure to metric about half way through my life, so I am equally stupid in both!

Cheers,
Brad
Old 12-04-2011, 04:49 PM
dkrhardy

Thanks for that, but I think it is listed something like m/s ....
Old 12-04-2011, 05:16 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Thanks for that, but I think it is listed something like m/s ....
You can make a rough conversion by doubling the value in m/s to get the mph. Not completely accurate, but good enough for getting an idea how how windy it is.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

You can have dead sticks .... cross winds etc. by setting the parameters ...

On my Heli sim - I can dial in gusts, wind direction swings etc. as well.

Generally I find sim landings easier than real ....
Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 PM
littleimp

Too be honest I think it's too easy. I have clearview too. make sure you've updated to the latest version as they have vastly improved the weather section recently. You used to have to adjust wind speed and stuff but now you just select different weather types such as calm, gusty, summers day etc.

I like using it but it's the nervousness of crashing a 300 plane that makes the real world interesting!!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BradT View Post
dkrhardy, the conversion factor is 5:8 , that is 5 mph = 8 kmh, 10 = 16, and so forth. To go from kmh to mph, multiply by .625, for example, 10 kmh = 6.25 mph, 20 kmh = 13.5 mph, etc.

Canada switched from English measure to metric about half way through my life, so I am equally stupid in both!

Cheers,
Brad
Don't know about Canada, but my Ford Escape has the speedometer marked in both MPH and KM/H. So reading off the display, 60 MPH equals 100 kmh.

(Some 10 years ago on a business trip to S. Africa, our agent took us to a game farm about 2 hours away. That agent kept the foot flat to the floor for the entire two hours, traveling over 100 mph the whole entire trip. That van had no seat belts either.)
Old 12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
dkrhardy

Km to miles was never an issue for me, it was because of the m/s.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 AM
willo47

The perception on Clearview sim is really bad, and it is a cheap sim, not costing more than 100 dollars I think. I think Phoenix is cool.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:06 AM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Sorry, dkrhardy, m/sec throw me, too.

kyle, my Canadian built GMC has both on the speedo, too, but with kmh over the mph, opposite to yours, I think. Mine has a slight offset between the 100 kmh and the 60 mph, but even if yours lines up exactly, it wouldn't get you a ticket here for 2.5 mph difference.

Brad.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:19 AM
dkrhardy

100 kmph is 62 mph .. no problem, but like I said, that m/s baffels me!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:16 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BradT View Post
Sorry, dkrhardy, m/sec throw me, too.

kyle, my Canadian built GMC has both on the speedo, too, but with kmh over the mph, opposite to yours, I think. Mine has a slight offset between the 100 kmh and the 60 mph, but even if yours lines up exactly, it wouldn't get you a ticket here for 2.5 mph difference.

Brad.
I remember seeing that reversed MPH Kmh speedometer display when renting cars in Canada awhile back.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:54 PM
dkrhardy

I am not saying anything about KMPH vs MPH, so if any of our Canadian friends can give more insight on the "doubling meters per second to get MPH" for the wind, I would appreciate it a lot!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 AM
squidger

10 metres per second = 22.3 miles per hour
Old 12-08-2011, 01:03 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
dkrhardy

Originally Posted by squidger View Post
10 metres per second = 22.3 miles per hour
I thank you. So it is pretty close balkpark guessitmate to double for MPH.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:47 PM
squidger

yeah. Metres per second x 2.23 = Miles per hour
Old 12-09-2011, 04:25 PM
KeninAZ

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Funny, Real Flight G5.5 that I have has all that. You can set the wind speed, direction, turbulence and failures of all types.
Just in case you did not know.

Quick Reply: R/C flight sims - is it really that hard to land?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16048 seconds with 12 queries