Oh this is bad... Full scale Heli crashes less than a half mile from our Club field - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Oh this is bad... Full scale Heli crashes less than a half mile from our Club field

Old 04-05-2016, 04:44 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default Oh this is bad... Full scale Heli crashes less than a half mile from our Club field

Yesterday in Pigeon Forge a sightseeing tour helicopter crashed killing all 5 souls on board. A terrible tragedy for our area Thoughts and prayers go out to all the families of these individuals.

Fortunately no one was at our club flying but I fear for our club now. If the media gets a hold of the fact that there is a "drone" field at the top of the hill from this crash site we are doomed... This facility where they takeoff from is just over a half mile from our field and the crash site was less than half a mile.

http://wate.com/2016/04/04/sevier-co...ed-helicopter/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crash.JPG (197.5 KB, 426 views)
Old 04-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

That is terrible. I feel so sad for those people.
It is good that no one was flying from your field at that time.

If possible maybe you should not fly at that field until the interest calms down.
Especially do not fly a quad over the site, to look or to take pictures.
That would be all some people need to go flippin crazy on you.

Keep a low profile, until it's safe.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:17 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

yes, for sure. I have already spoken to all my club members to avoid the area and as long as the FAA is around investigating we need to lay low.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:46 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
yes, for sure. I have already spoken to all my club members to avoid the area and as long as the FAA is around investigating we need to lay low.
Certainly an unfortunate and painful tragedy......

LAY LOW.....as in flying within the FAA regulated boundaries....?

This from a law enforcement official.....lol........it's not like a member just robbed a bank (or is it).......?

It's obviously not wise to "get in the way" of a Federal (or any enforcement) investigation.........but, if no one has anything to hide, no one should be worried about repercussions........
Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Konrad
E-Flight Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post

It's obviously not wise to "get in the way" of a Federal (or any enforcement) investigation.........but, if no one has anything to hide, no one should be worried about repercussions........
You're kidding right!

Law enforcement, regulatory and political will is driven by demonizing anybody to further their agendas. When it come to our civil rights we in the USA have the Fifth Amendment. But this offers no protection from the federal administrative courts (the FAA in this case) or the political will of the elected officials.

So keep a LOW PROFILE and only talk to officials with the benefit of legal counsel!

The Fifth Amendment
Note the huge loop hole in the first sentence about public safety!
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/fifth_amendment

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited by Konrad; 04-05-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
You're kidding right!

Law enforcement, regulatory and political will is driven by demonizing anybody to further their agendas. When it come to our civil rights we in the USA have the Fifth Amendment. But this offers no protection from the federal administrative courts (the FAA in this case) or the political will the elected officials.

So keep a LOW PROFILE and only talk to officials with the benefit of legal counsel!

The Fifth Amendment
Note the huge loop hole in the first sentence about public safety!
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/fifth_amendment

All the best,
Konrad

Yes, stated tongue and cheek...........5th amendment rights and all......If legal council is required, there's "generally" more than what meets the eye, regardless.......let the FAA make the first move, be prepared and respond accordingly.......if that's "laying low" so be it.......!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Konrad
E-Flight Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
...there's "generally" more than what meets the eye, regardless.......
Yep, a loaded deck against us the individual and the citizenry at large! It is because of this abuse of power that the founding fathers gave us the Constitution! It is up to us to use it! Legal counsel is needed any time one talks to the police!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

NEVER trust the POLICE or an elected political official. Rarely are the police or the political officials concerned with the truth as defined by facts.

All the best,
Konrad
Old 04-05-2016, 09:28 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

By lay low, yes, I mean stay out of the way, especially the accident site.

Not requiring anyone to stop flying by any stretch but we do not need to bring any attention upon ourselves. Especially at this time.

We had absolutely nothing to do with this in any way shape or form... but what if the local media outlet decides to stop by, ask some questions, and put on the local news that there is a "drone field" within a half mile of the accident site?

It will be very likely that the public outrage will shut us down forever. Even though we did nothing wrong.

The media is evil. plain and simple. They will pick and choose the words they wish to be made public and you can bet your last dollar it will be something that paints us in a negative light.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Konrad
E-Flight Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
The media is evil. plain and simple. They will pick and choose the words they wish to be made public and you can bet your last dollar it will be something that paints us in a negative light.
Maybe so.

But it is up to you to educate the media/reported/editor, as to the truth from your perspective! This can't be done in a five minute interview or 30 second sound bite. Send follow up information to the editor by registered mail. Do any and everything you can to support your position in a possible liable law suite.

Ignorance and complacency are the tools of evil. Knowledge will set you free. Don't expect the paper to look for the truth. As you know all they want is to sell ad space. You must feed them the truth.

Last edited by Konrad; 04-05-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:27 PM
Bald Paul

Laying low (i.e.: not flying at all at the field) may backfire as well. Some reporter will find out about the club, and report that 'no one from the club has flown since the crash'. How do you think that will be interpreted? Guilt?

I would continue to fly, but I'd be sure everyone is FAA registered, with the required FAA number on their craft (you know, just in case somebody drops by) and make certain they fly responsibly. It might be prudent to leave the FPV, multi-rotors, and anything with a camera on it at home for awhile, though.

I'd tell you to come down and fly with me, but our field situation is sort of day to day now. I haven't been there for a few weeks but I wouldn't be surprised to show up and find a new lock on the gate, with a notice that flying is now prohibited.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:40 PM
birdDog
Charging....

I thought that area sounded familiar when I saw this on the news this morning. Immediately thought of you Bill. Definitely lay low. Bad idea to film the FAAcrats from an overhead drone. Don't give them ANYTHING to twist and sensationalize. I'm hoping for the best.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:23 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
Laying low (i.e.: not flying at all at the field) may backfire as well. Some reporter will find out about the club, and report that 'no one from the club has flown since the crash'. How do you think that will be interpreted? Guilt?

I would continue to fly, but I'd be sure everyone is FAA registered, with the required FAA number on their craft (you know, just in case somebody drops by) and make certain they fly responsibly. It might be prudent to leave the FPV, multi-rotors, and anything with a camera on it at home for awhile, though.

I'd tell you to come down and fly with me, but our field situation is sort of day to day now. I haven't been there for a few weeks but I wouldn't be surprised to show up and find a new lock on the gate, with a notice that flying is now prohibited.
Yeah I didn't say we wouldn't fly. What we must do is stay as far away from the site as possible, fly the pattern and fly smart.