RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Taranis X9D Plus

Old 05-11-2015, 07:05 PM
Clm

Default Taranis X9D Plus

Hello everyone,

we are planning to buy new transmitter, Fr SKY, Taranis X9D Plus.
As far as we can see by specifications, it would cover all our needs and has well-solved software.
We are usually flying DLG, F3J, F5J and ALES.

Does any one have any experience with it?

Kind regards
Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Clm View Post
Hello everyone,

we are planning to buy new transmitter, Fr SKY, Taranis X9D Plus.
As far as we can see by specifications, it would cover all our needs and has well-solved software.
We are usually flying DLG, F3J, F5J and ALES.

Does any one have any experience with it?

Kind regards
Been flying my "A" model Taranis since they came out. The Plus has haptic, a bigger battery, and better sliders. Assorted minor fixes were also done too so it's very solid and reliable.

Once you get used to the software, almost anything is possible. I find complex programming is much simpler in OpenTx than Futaba or Spektrum. There's typically only one way to do things with high end TX's (whether that makes sense to YOU or not.) Since OpenTx assumes nothing, you can do things the way you want.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Clm

Thank you for sharing your experience with this transmitter.

Every one we ask has only positive feedback about it. We had a chance to try it, our friend has it, and we were delighted.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:40 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

I was helping a friend program his Futaba 18MZ which is an impressive piece of kit but it couldn't do anything a Taranis couldn't do (except take pictures.) It cost 15x what a Taranis does!

I've been very happy with mine and the Plus is better.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

I am less enthusiastic. After spending ten hours following the "manual" and the youtube items I still cannot achieve elevon controls. I am an English speaker, reader and writer. It seems to be a handicap. Geek and Nerdish might be much more useful.

I have no doubt about the quality of the device, it is the programming and the documentation which fails. My advice to shoppers is that, unless a good friend has mastered it already you should find some other product which your friends understand

My advice to Fr Sky and Open Sky is to publish downloadable mix programmes to be loaded via the on board card. Elevons is a classic case. The market that wants to fly is much bigger than the market that wants to learn to read Geek.

Muffled Fury, Birdmanpete.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Birdmanpete View Post
I am less enthusiastic. After spending ten hours following the "manual" and the youtube items I still cannot achieve elevon controls. I am an English speaker, reader and writer. It seems to be a handicap. Geek and Nerdish might be much more useful.

I have no doubt about the quality of the device, it is the programming and the documentation which fails. My advice to shoppers is that, unless a good friend has mastered it already you should find some other product which your friends understand

My advice to Fr Sky and Open Sky is to publish downloadable mix programmes to be loaded via the on board card. Elevons is a classic case. The market that wants to fly is much bigger than the market that wants to learn to read Geek.

I have to agree 100%. I bought one several months back. Just after I got it financial issues arose and I had to sell it. If money hadn't been a factor I likely still would have sold it. Programming is far from intuitive. Regardless what the TX is capable of it has to be usable without having to sit down for hours trying to set up even basic things. That's a shame too as the TX is beyond awesome for the price. I've been using Futaba for over 40 years and just recently got the new 2014 version Spektrum DX6 Black. I haven't cracked the manual open on either the DX6 or the 9C as I haven't needed to. I can figure things out easily from the menus.

As I said, the TX itself is awesome and I'll buy another in a heartbeat if they just make it easier to set up without having to learn a whole new language or read until my eyes bleed.

Joe
Old 06-23-2015, 05:19 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

FrSky is the RF protocol and nothing to do with programming. The programming is open sourced OpenTX ... an offshoot from the original er9x developed by serious enthusiasts.

For long time FrSky was providing protocol modules and Rx's to extend other companies radios ............ then short while back decided to enter the Tx market with a purpose designed model.

The traditional market plays it down .. makes all sorts of silly moves - BUT FrSky and others continuously prove themselves ....

Nigel
Old 06-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
I have to agree 100%. I bought one several months back. Just after I got it financial issues arose and I had to sell it. If money hadn't been a factor I likely still would have sold it. Programming is far from intuitive. Regardless what the TX is capable of it has to be usable without having to sit down for hours trying to set up even basic things. That's a shame too as the TX is beyond awesome for the price. I've been using Futaba for over 40 years and just recently got the new 2014 version Spektrum DX6 Black. I haven't cracked the manual open on either the DX6 or the 9C as I haven't needed to. I can figure things out easily from the menus.

As I said, the TX itself is awesome and I'll buy another in a heartbeat if they just make it easier to set up without having to learn a whole new language or read until my eyes bleed.

Joe
Have you tried the built in model wizard? It will do the basic setup for several model types - including delta.

I also find that using the computer based Companion software makes programming much easier. Plus it has a simulator so you can see what your mixes are really doing as you set them up.

Yes, the programming cam be a challenge - especially when you are coming from the traditional radios with fixed and limited menu controls. When you have almost unlimited programming options and features its difficult to keep it "simple".

Its like the difference between working an old style transistor radio vrs using your home theater system that has dolby surround sound stereo, dvd player, CD player, VCR, tape deck, turn table, cable box, TIVO and a "smart" 3D flat screen TV - and all the remotes that go along with that system.

If you want to have all the fancy bells and whistles, unfortunately, you need to learn how to use ALL the remotes
Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Yes, the programming cam be a challenge - especially when you are coming from the traditional radios with fixed and limited menu controls. When you have almost unlimited programming options and features its difficult to keep it "simple".
Yep! Being an old dog you get pretty set in your ways. The short time I had the Taranis I was quite impressed though. I'm sure by now I would be comfortable with it. If I can ever get out there and start flying again like I used to I'll be looking to buy another Taranis. It's almost like getting close to a 14MZ for well under 1/10th the price.

Joe
Old 06-23-2015, 11:44 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

The Taranis (as almost every single radio offered today) does have a learning curve. Although once you have a grasp on just a few lessons they can be applied ro almost every other application you want.

The best example I can think of is Channel 5.

Spektrum, Futaba, Airtronics and most other major brands always designate this channel as a "retract" channel and slave it to a single throw switch - usually high on the left top of their radios. Is it a channel? Yes. It is counted as such in the advertisement of the radio. Is it proportional? No. Can it be changed from that designated switch? No. Sometimes it (channel 5) can be "slaved" to another channel - sometimes., and sometimes it can be "mixed" with another channel, but usually you are pretty much stuck with a channel dedicated to a single "on/off" throw switch.

Not true with a Taranis. Every channel is available to be assigned to every "input" or "output" available on the radio, gimbals, switches, sliders or knobs. You name it - you got it.

I agree the learning curve is not easy as there are no pre-set programs - but once the programming is grasped there are no limits other than the desired results.

I am 64 years old. Started flying in the 60's with Cl. Been in and out of modeling due to jobs, money, other interests, family, work, and the usual life getting in the way for all that time. I have owned all (most all - USA offered) major brands of radios. Loved each one. They all have their own little quirks and oddities. But the Taranis is the first radio I have owned that allows me to do anything with any channel and mix any channel with any other channel at any time and for any reason. That I like. If I pay for a 16 channel radio - I believe I should get all 16 channels and be able to use them how ever I choose and in any combination I want. Taranis is the very first radio I have ever owned that actually allowed that to happen.

Hillbille