General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Hobbico ElectriStar EP Select RTF Batteries/ESC

Old 10-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Papa51

Default Hobbico ElectriStar EP Select RTF Batteries/ESC

I just aquired an Hobbico ElectriStar Select RTF. The first thing I noticed is that the BEC function (wire) on the ESC receiver plug is disconnected indicating that, for some reason, the BEC function is disabled. This aircraft has a seperate receiver battery. After doing some on-line research on the ESC (Great Planes Electrifly SS45D) I noticed that it is even shown on the Tower site having the BEC wire disconnecte/disabled. I am wondering why this is. Is there some reason I shouldn't use the BEC function? This craft only has 3 standard analog servos in it so the 5 volt output of the BEC should be more that adequate for this application. I would like to ditch the serperate receiver battery and utilize the BEC function. In addition, the manual for the ESC states that it has LVC function. The craft came with 2 good, 7 cell, 8.4v, 3000mah, NiMh batteries. I'll use those as backup but I would like to purchace two 4s Lipoly battery (1 x 4s instead of 2 x 2s) packs to be my main flight batteries (2 extra battery packs). Does the ESC automatically detect the battery voltage and know what the cutoff voltage should be regardless of which batteries I'm using in it? Any and all input from you EP experts out there would be deeply appreciated. I've been flying nitro and gas aircraft for 20 years and this is my first venture into Electric Flight, so I want to do it correctly the first time.

Last edited by Papa51; 10-17-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

A 4s lipo is massive overkill in this plane. If I remember correctly this plane works just fine with a 2s lipo in the 3800mah range.
As for the ESC I thought I read somewhere that it didn't come with a bec but I could be wrong. If it does then you can remove the receiver pack and use the ESC for power to the receiver.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:33 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

2S LiPo in the original can work OK, but the LVC is not capable of being set properly for the LiPo.

This dates from before LiPo was common. The ESC didn't expect you to have them. IT WILL NOT SURVIVE 3S even if you remove the prop.

I still have one of the 3ch version... haven't flown it in years.

The OEM plug between battery and ESC was not reliable. I had mine fail in flight resulting in the plane landing like an old time Free Flight model. (no control at all.. just stand and watch it)
Old 10-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Papa51

Wrongway,

Per the documentation, the alternative to the (2) 7 cell, 3000mah Nimh connected in series (16.8v) is 2 x 2s, 3200mah Lipoly connected in series (14.8v). So you are saying that I should use half the voltage (7.4v) at 3800mah capacity? How much of a performance downgrade would that cause over the recommended batteries. All of the reviews I have seen also review the 4s Lipo as an alternative. It gives better performance due to higher voltage output under load. The 4s Lipo also saves a full pound off of the all up flying weight of the aircraft. Please explain your suggestion as I have no experience with Electrical Flight.

Last edited by Papa51; 10-17-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Papa51

fhhuber,

The one I have has Deans connectors for the ESC to battery connector. You are saying that the Deans connectors failed? What do you recommend I replace them with? Should I buy an aftermarket LVC and install it in the ESC to battery wiring harness? I have a new ESC (same model) ordered. Should I expect the new ESC (even though it is the same model) to have an LVC capable of handling Lipo? The ESC says "7-14 NiCd/MH 3-4 LiPo".
Old 10-19-2014, 01:04 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by Papa51 View Post
Wrongway,

Per the documentation, the alternative to the (2) 7 cell, 3000mah Nimh connected in series (16.8v) is 2 x 2s, 3200mah Lipoly connected in series (14.8v). So you are saying that I should use half the voltage (7.4v) at 3800mah capacity? How much of a performance downgrade would that cause over the recommended batteries. All of the reviews I have seen also review the 4s Lipo as an alternative. It gives better performance due to higher voltage output under load. The 4s Lipo also saves a full pound off of the all up flying weight of the aircraft. Please explain your suggestion as I have no experience with Electrical Flight.
I knew it recommended a 2s but forgot it wanted 2 of em.
The difference in weight between 2 2s or 1 4s of the same capacity is negligible.
The documentation should tell you the steps needed to run a lipo ie; lvc programming of the ESC if needed.