General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Rudder and elevator control problem

Old 08-07-2019, 02:46 PM
Jondon51

Default Rudder and elevator control problem

Hi all , I have a rudder elevator sailplane 3 m and it takes about 3 seconds for the turn to kick in .the c of g is a bit nose heavy but I can't understand why it's not turning quickly enough . I have asked for the polyhedral angle from the supplier but have not got anything back yet .. Any ideas.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:08 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I used to fly flat field thermal jobs similar ... Rud / Elev .... but response was certainly better than 3 secs.

It was always a balance though of agile turn without causing her to bank excessively to be able to hold the thermal.

So question is :

1. Is this a powered sailplane or bungee launched ?
2. Does she start to 'flat turn before banking ?
3. The 3 secs - are you saying that as the point you visually see the model bank or flat turn ?
4. Does the turn tighten if rudder is held ? Such that wing then progressively falls of till she spins ...

I would first of all edge that CoG back ....
Old 08-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Jondon51

Yes it's powered , it just banks over but it should turn quicker than that. Did not leave it that long to go in a spin. I will get a proper cofg balancer next time . I should have glided it and moved the battery further back until I got a decent glide the plane is from hyper flight in the uk and it's introduction. S5j model. Thanks for your help. What do you think of me getting a refund if it won't fly ha ha .
Old 08-07-2019, 09:18 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

My own view is that a 3m glider will always be slow to turn on rudder only unless it has plenty of dihedral and a big rudder.
With modern small light servos there is no technical reason why ailerons cannot be fitted then with the appropriate controls a turn will happen and be as tight as you like!
Include aileron differential movement and the rudder becomes just a 'trim' control to keep the turn 'aerodynamically efficient' and free from any yaw.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:47 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Another reason is you may be flying too slow. Try flying faster, and, yes, your CG may be too far forward but it would have to be a long way out.
S5J or F5J?
Old 08-08-2019, 12:19 AM
Jondon51

It's an f5j model . I turned it to come in for a landing and it really dived and I was slow to react. Rebuilding it now. Get myself a proper balancer next.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:22 AM
Jondon51

It's a polyhedral wing . Would you put ailerons on the outboard wing.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:26 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I agree, you are flying it to slow, give the rudder and elevator more throw, that is a high speed sail plane thats not ment to go slow at all. get more practice with a 2 meter power glider thats ment to fly slower
Old 08-08-2019, 09:42 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Jondon51 View Post
It's a polyhedral wing . Would you put ailerons on the outboard wing.
You don't put ailerons ... polyhedral is designed to not use them. It gives large area lift as well as ample dihedral for rud / ele control.

In fact if flying slow and coming into land - ailerons could make situation worse.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Jondon51

If you don't put ailerons on a 3 metre sailplane why does hyper flight sell one for 450 pounds. I have the maximum throws on the model and the rudder should be big enough . I don't know if it's going too slow but it's supposed to be a floater . Thanks for the input though.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:50 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Think you are over thinking this.

The design is such that designer did not consider ailerons needed, Polyhedral wings for years have served well in Rud Ele models .... I've had a number of large sailplanes without any motor that have been Rud Ele only Polyhedral.

Of course there are exceptions and you can find a model that has ailerons. It does not mean that its the answer to your problem.

We are all trying to help and consider what can get you flying better.

i know from my own models ... a powered sailplane tends to make one use the motor to keep it flying instead of flying as it should ...
Old 08-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Jondon51

Ok thanks I will test glide it the next time and get a good glide angle and then power up .
Old 08-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I just put my fingertips under the wings close to the fuselage about 1/3 of the way back from the leading edge or close to where the wing is thickest. The plane should only just tip forward. This gives you a good CG starting point. No need to buy a CG balancer. Waste of money in my opinion.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:42 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I just put my fingertips under the wings close to the fuselage about 1/3 of the way back from the leading edge or close to where the wing is thickest. The plane should only just tip forward. This gives you a good CG starting point. No need to buy a CG balancer. Waste of money in my opinion.
I can certainly say the Hobby King CoG machine is c**p !!

Block of wood with two pencils with rubber eraser tips uppermost is better !!

And always test balance by having models greatest weight lowest .. ie high wing model upright, low wing model inverted etc.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:54 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Jondon51 View Post
If you don't put ailerons on a 3 metre sailplane why does hyper flight sell one for 450 pounds. I have the maximum throws on the model and the rudder should be big enough . I don't know if it's going too slow but it's supposed to be a floater . Thanks for the input though.

Air flow over control surfaces = Aircraft Control , Fly a little faster for better control