Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

2nd week with supercub lp

Old 07-28-2009, 03:58 AM
camps23

Default 2nd week with supercub lp

So I have about 6 outings with the supercub lp under my belt with no more than a few hard landings and a few close calls,thanks to realflight sim. The first few outings were fun but nerve wreaking. Now that I'm more comfortable and have takeoffs and landings somewhat down it is getting so fun and addictive. I'M HOOKED !!! I can't say enough thanks to the people on here that recommended this plane it is in my opinion the perfect starter plane..so durable. So my next research/questions will be is it better to get another rtr plane or get a tx and pnp planes ?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

If you are hooked got with a decentTX. That opens up a world of options. There are NO rtf planes with anything but a basic, limited, ultimately dead-end TX, and that's the good ones.

As you become more familiar with the Cub and the electronics in it you'll realize that those are functional but disposable.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:04 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Originally Posted by camps23 View Post
So I have about 6 outings with the supercub lp under my belt with no more than a few hard landings and a few close calls,thanks to realflight sim. The first few outings were fun but nerve wreaking. Now that I'm more comfortable and have takeoffs and landings somewhat down it is getting so fun and addictive. I'M HOOKED !!! I can't say enough thanks to the people on here that recommended this plane it is in my opinion the perfect starter plane..so durable. So my next research/questions will be is it better to get another rtr plane or get a tx and pnp planes ?
I agree with with Flydiver, go with a good TX, you will not regret it. A year ago I was in your place, though I started with an AreoBird and then moved to a T-28 Parkzone. I have never regretted getting my Spektrum DX7. At first I was intimidated with all the options it offers, but now, I'm sooooooooo glad I went that route. The only problem is if you want to call it a problem, is that you end up with one radio and several planes, that can only fly one at a time (I now have three planes, and I'm building by fourth).

Therefore, when my son wants to fly with me, he can only fly his plane with his radio and not one of mine while I'm flying. Again, not a major problem but something to keep in mind if you are going to share any of your planes with a friend or family member (and it's good to share, remember pre-school lol).

Have fun with your Super Cub, I bought one for a buddy of mine in Arkansas and had it shipped to him. I then flew out there with my T-28 in a box and we flew together. It was great fun and yes, he learned to fly the Super Cub in a day!

Cheeres!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
GadgetGeek

Sorry if I am not posting correctly, but can someone suggest a good low-wing trainer? I love my SuperCub but my maiden with my Parkzone P-51D left much to be desired and my Zagi is too hot for me to handle yet. Thanks for the help and happy flying!
Mel
Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 PM
JONS

What do you all mean when you say tx and rtr and pnp?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

ARF - Almost Ready to Fly
AUW - All Up Weight (gross weight)
AVS - Aerial Video System
BEC - Battery Eliminating Circuit
CA - Cyanoacrylate (super glue)
COG - Center of Gravity
DIY - Do It Yourself
EDF - Electric Ducted Fan
ESC - Electric Speed Controller
FCLP - Field Carrier Landing Practice
FOD - Foreign Object Damage
FPV - First Person View
GPS - Global Positioning System
LHS - Local Hobby Store
LVC - Low Voltage Cutoff
OSD - On Screen Display
PNP - Plug and Play (aka RX Ready)
ROG - Roll Off the Ground (take off using wheels)
RR - Receiver Ready
RTF - Ready to Fly
RX - Receiver
TX - Transmitter
WBPU - Water Based Polyurethane
WOT - Wide Open Throttle
Old 08-05-2009, 04:52 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Originally Posted by GadgetGeek View Post
Sorry if I am not posting correctly, but can someone suggest a good low-wing trainer? I love my SuperCub but my maiden with my Parkzone P-51D left much to be desired and my Zagi is too hot for me to handle yet. Thanks for the help and happy flying!
Mel
If you want to learn to fly with alierons, and you want a foamy you can't beat the Parkzone T-28 for a low wing, very fun plane to fly. I cut my teeth on that one. It's a great plane. I think it flies more stable than the "sister" plane Corsair, but some will disagree on that.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Olias

Another suggestion before you even go to a "low wing" style plane is to do what many of us have done....put ailerons on your Super Cub! You can't go wrong. You'll have one of the most stable planes you could possibly ask for to learn how to fly with ailerons with. It's like having 2 planes in one. With ailerons it will be a completely different animal in the way it handles yet most definitely manageable. With ailerons your plane will not "self correct" like the SC does now after coming out of a turn. This is very important to learn and doing it with the SC is very easy and forgiving compared to some planes. This isn't to say that you can't go straight to something like the PZ T-28 or Corsair but it would make the transition IMO much easier and you'll get more bang for your buck out of the SC. Just a suggestion.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:58 AM
JONS

About how much does it cost to put ailerons on the SC. And would it also be easy to as your putting ailerons on to go brushless. Hey and thanks for th RC lingo talk.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:13 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

If you put ailerons on the supercub you are going to have to get the TX and a RX you can't add on to the RX that is in the SC.
Flydiver suggested a real nice TX to get Go with this next then you open up a whole new world of what you can do with your plane or planes. Wish I knew about this site when I first started out would of saved me some cash.
Awhile ago Flydiver pointed me to this thread has a wealth of info. on mod's for the SC http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...lay&thread=988
Old 08-21-2009, 03:24 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JONS View Post
About how much does it cost to put ailerons on the SC. And would it also be easy to as your putting ailerons on to go brushless. Hey and thanks for th RC lingo talk.
In a nutshell > lots. You have to replace EVERYTHING but the plane, all electrics including the TX, RX, servos, ESC and motor. Then you put in the ailerons. That's actually the simple part.

If you go Spectrum figure $300+. There are cheaper ways but they need some research and may be compromised in various ways. It bears some consideration IMO.

Check out that link above and do a lot of reading while you improve your flying.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:47 PM
canuck

camps23, I just built my supercub LP and am new to all this. I've got realflight SIM as well and was curious what plane of those offered you flew.

my G4.5 does not have a supercub or any plane it seems without areilons and presumably I am best to log my SIM time on a plane with just rudder and elevators, no?

I've got about 4 hours in of SIM time so far on the nitor full control surface cub that's in there.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

I went with a DX6i TX and a T-28 after the Super Cub. I just bought my second T-28 and have about 80 flights on the first one. Still stoked to fly it each time. A great second plane, but still pretty scary after the SC.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Default Super Cub for Real Flight ver 4.5

Originally Posted by canuck View Post
camps23, I just built my supercub LP and am new to all this. I've got realflight SIM as well and was curious what plane of those offered you flew.

my G4.5 does not have a supercub or any plane it seems without areilons and presumably I am best to log my SIM time on a plane with just rudder and elevators, no?

I've got about 4 hours in of SIM time so far on the nitor full control surface cub that's in there.
Canuk There is a model of a SC on the Knife edge download pages page two. Seems to be a pretty good sim version of the the real SC, at least seems to behave like mine used to as a stock Cub http://knifeedge.com/forums/download...letter=&page=2
Old 08-26-2009, 08:59 PM
autorail1

I agree with you on that one Parzone more stable that corsair.

Originally Posted by JANichols View Post
If you want to learn to fly with alierons, and you want a foamy you can't beat the Parkzone T-28 for a low wing, very fun plane to fly. I cut my teeth on that one. It's a great plane. I think it flies more stable than the "sister" plane Corsair, but some will disagree on that.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 PM
canuck

dumo01, thanks for that, downloaded it and sorry to be daft here but cannot figure out how to add it to my list of available aircraft, do I just download and save to the realflight file.....
Old 08-27-2009, 12:37 AM
tjm5837

Originally Posted by canuck View Post
dumo01, thanks for that, downloaded it and sorry to be daft here but cannot figure out how to add it to my list of available aircraft, do I just download and save to the realflight file.....
When you download of the knife edge page it asks you where to save the file of the plane. Once saved to that file, go into real flight and click on simulation on the toolbar. then click on import, and G3x.. then the file you save your model to should be listed , then just double click on the model and hit open and it will be added to your list of custom models. This is all described if you click on the question mark on the knife edge page. You can get a lot of great models this way..some even have great features like catching on fire when you hit a switch. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:19 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
If you put ailerons on the supercub you are going to have to get the TX and a RX you can't add on to the RX that is in the SC.
Flydiver suggested a real nice TX to get Go with this next then you open up a whole new world of what you can do with your plane or planes. Wish I knew about this site when I first started out would of saved me some cash.
Awhile ago Flydiver pointed me to this thread has a wealth of info. on mod's for the SC http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...lay&thread=988
My opinion is that you are better off buying a good radio and a second plane rather than mod one of the 3 channel planes, like a Super Cub.

If you enjoy modifying things, then it is not a bad idea. But if you are looking at what you get for the $$ I think getting the radio and an ARF or a PNP model is a better appraoch.

If you mod your 1 plane, you still have 1 plane and you put a bunch of money into it changing out the electronics.

If you get a second plane, now you have two planes. The first is stil fun to fly and avaialble if the first gets damaged. Or you can teach a friend to fly it and you can fly together.

No right or wrong answer here. Just different views.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:21 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

I second the motion of going with a TX that will allow more diversity down the road. As I mentioned above that's the choice I made, based on recommendations I found here. I have never regretted it, and I'm always glad I made that choice.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:13 PM
autorail1

Default Aftermarket Batteries

What kinds of aftermarket batteries are you all using for the Super cub lp, without making any mods to the battery bay?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

After about twenty flights with the SC I bought a DX6i and what a great purchase that was. It really opens up the hobby for you, can only recommend getting a good TX!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:07 AM
eghershey

I got my first Super Cub over a year ago....it was a parts plane. No electrics and the fuselage had been broken several times. Bought the whole mess for $40. Bought a good transmitter and went lipo and brushless with new servos and speed control. Added ailerons to it and I can't tell you how many flights I've put on it. Yes, a few crashes too. Finally got embarrassed flying it because of how terrible and ugly it was.
I've added some other planes to the hanger but I still think of the Cub as THE PLANE. I bought a new fuselage, wing, tail section and moved all the electrics over to it and retired the ole parts plane. Now I have a very stock looking Super Cub, no ailerons, but brushless that just flys so well. I'll always have a Cub. Course its fun to take the stock looking cub to a straight up takeoff at super speeds and hear the comments of "what the hell was that a Super cub"