Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Airfoil design programmes

Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

Flap's are mainly used to either take off or land. There used on all kinds of aircraft for shorter take off distances and slower landing speed's.
Spoiler's are another device used to slow airspeed.
I don't know much about flap's on flat-wing foamie's, you'll need to use the search site function or start a new thread in scratch built ,foamies or park flyer's!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I have been using my compufoil3D to plot out new wing's for aerobatic glider plan's I just bought from airborne magazine.
So now instead of having a airfoil 'clark Y' looking profile it has MH32.
Choose it because it seemed to me one of the most popular airfoil, there were other RG15, modified's, etc. MH32 seem to be used without modification.
I did come along a problem when it came to the wing joiner .Because of the dihedral the hole's for the joiner are at an angle to the rest of the wing I had trouble finding the solution in the progam.
It's not a big problem as I am think of using either fiberglass or carbon fibre as a solid spar, now the airfoil profile has become thinner
The oringinal plan uses piano wire and brass tube.
I will post a build thread when I can see that I can make some progress!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:50 PM
StephenW

The MH32 is a high performance Sailplane foil its What I'm using on the Bearcat
an Rg 14 or 15 would suit a propller a lot better ,but having said that the MH32 will work nicley as well .If you look at this site http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/coord_database.html you have 1550 foils to choose from ,with a small gif showing what they look like, as well as in most cases their design purpose.
SteveW
Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I read something on www.nurflugel.com about a guy who downloaded coord's for his RC flying wing which he designed on compufoil3D.
Most of the RG foil's used on model's that I saw were modified. I do have the modification module but I wouldn't know what to modify to make it sutible.
What I've read about the MH32 airfoil ,it was first designed for pylon racer's and then made it's way to sailplane's.
I've also read that MH32 is becoming a little obsolete because of material's been used that are getting stronger and the profile of the airfoil can become thinner.
Computer's ,wind tunnel's etc are making it easier to make airfoil's to be faster and give more lift not just for full size plane but modeller's as well.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:03 PM
cnd

A decade later... the free Add-in called "Airfoil Tools" for Fusion360 (Windows and Mac) has a ridiculous amount of power, and "holds your hand" to make it easy to get CFD-optimised solutions quickly.

Search "Airfoil Tools" in the Fusion360 "store" (or visit foils.pro website)