Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Aliexpress Race Plane Kit

Old 12-11-2021, 09:47 PM
Marc

Default Aliexpress Race Plane Kit

I haven't built a kit in about two years. I have a 1400kv 35-30 motor, 30amp ESC, 3S 2200 mAh lipos, and a receiver from a previous crash that need a small high-performance plane to fly. Performance plane kits are hard to find, but I found this one in the Aliexpress.com Realhawk store for a cheap price. They just call it a "sport airplane", but I think it has pylon racing DNA. I ordered the kit, two meters of covering, and five 9-gram servos for $85 with free shipping.

I got my order in good condition in about a month. The kit contained two molded canopies, two molded cowls, and landing gear with wheels. Included was a bag of CA hinges, magnets for the hatch, control horns, and lots of screws and bolts to put everything together. The full-size plans were more like a blueprint of what-goes-where than step-by-step instructions. The laser cutting of the pieces was very accurate and easy to separate. I started by sorting the parts into piles for the fuselage, wing, and tail and checking them off on the plans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Realhawk.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	188665

I apologize for not taking not taking many pictures during the fuselage construction. I just got so enthralled in the building that I forgot. I bolted pieces of dowel to the firewall for the motor standoff. The cowl(s) included with the kit were slightly different than advertised, but they were made to work. I spray painted just the inside of the cowl, but the color was a poor match to the covering.

Name:	DSCN0002.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	188666 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0003.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	188667

Planes that have a tapered wing chord are prone to tip stall. This is caused by the laminar air flow over the outboard surface of the wing breaking up before the inboard part of the wing at low speed as the angle of attack increases while landing. This turbulence causes the ailerons to have no effect and the plane abruptly falls out of the sky. Tip stalling is very common in WW2 warplanes and aerobatic planes - both models and the real thing. I found a post that said this plane is no exception. The solution is to lift the trailing edges at the wing tips called washout. I actually did this work outside because of the noxious effect of CA on my sinuses.

Name:	DSCN0005.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	188668

Shown below are the two wing halves posed together. The aluminum forward wing joiner was supplied in the kit, but the rear wing joiner was missing. A 1/4" inch dowel should serve the purpose.

Name:	DSCN0008.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	188669

For control linkage I prefer a z-bend on the servo end and a nylon clevis on a threaded coupler soldered to music wire on the control horn end. If the music wire passes through the fuselage, I enclose it in a small plastic tube.

Name:	DSCN0009.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	188670

This picture is presented for any visiting aerodynamicists to weigh in on the washout achieved. Yes, that is a 72 mHz antenna that was fished through the fuselage during construction.

Name:	DSCN0012.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	188671

The hatch is attached with pegs in the front and magnets in the rear. My much too swollen lipo is a snug fit. I need to order new ones.

Name:	DSCN0018.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	188672

The plans for the wing showed no leading edge and only a lite-ply trailing edge. Two unlabeled tapered sticks of balsa the length of the leading edge were included with the kit, but I cut and glued them to the lite-ply trailing edge to attach the aileron hinges. I fashioned a leading edge from scrap balsa. This accounts for the wing tips being too short. I think it was a design flaw. I fly over a hay pasture in the backyard, so no need for landing gear.

Name:	DSCN0019.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	188673 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0020.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	188674

I'll post a flight video as proof of concept when weather permits. Thanks for visiting.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:09 AM
ddlawrence

Hi.
Instead of z-bends, just use 2-56 threaded rod and nylon clevises on both ends.
They thread right in there no problem.
They are much better to adjust and are more secure.
On the downside, they have no flex, so you may strip servos in a crash.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:26 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Hope it flies as nice as it looks Marc. Good luck on that maiden.
Old 12-31-2021, 03:26 AM
Marc

I velcroed a Car Keys 808 micro-camera to the bill of my cap to make this. I bet everyone wishes they had a flying field like this in their backyard.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:42 PM
Marc

Of all the kits I have built, I have never built the same kit twice. This one is an exception because it is a great plane, and it flies like a much larger plane. I still enjoy flying the original plane, but a crash of a different plane thus summer gave me parts to build a new one. I am including here some information about the build that was neglected from last year's build. The latest version of the kit indicates that the rudder and elevator servos should be mounted in the rear, but I had already installed pushrod tubes so I mounted the servos midship. In this picture notice the small clamps made by reversing the springs of clothes pins.

Name:	DSCN0023.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	188849

This picture shows the hatch construction. The small removable dowl passes through holes in the fuselage and bottom of the hatch to hold the rear in place. A rubber band passing under the fuselage will hold the dowl in place. I built the hatch cradled in the cockpit area to assure a snug fit.

Name:	DSCN0025.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	188851

Here I did a mockup of the motor and cowl fitment. The dowl for standoffs and 1.5 inch 4-40 bolts came from the local hardware store. A little right thrust and down thrust will be added.

Name:	DSCN0024.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	188850
Old 11-21-2022, 01:22 AM
Marc

Unhappy

Here I used a 3/8" wedge that I cut from a piece of 1x4 to help build in the required wing washout. Washout is needed to eliminate tip stall while landing.

Name:	DSCN0027.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	188918

I am divorced so I can build my models on the dining room table. If you're married and do this, you probably won't be for long.

Name:	DSCN0030.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	188919

All the covering is completed, so I'm ready for final assembly.

Name:	DSCN0032.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	188920
Old 11-26-2022, 03:28 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Nice Build Mark I Never use Wash out on a Wing, I Build Wings Flat and Straight and Land Fast, I Dont even like adding dihedral to a wing, I am Building a Quickie 500 and it says to use Dihedral, Not Me I have gotten used to Flying Planes with flat straight wings and Never had any Issues,
Old 11-30-2022, 07:56 PM
Marc

This is the completed model. While building the wings I noticed the laser cut slots in the thin plywood trailing edge for attaching aileron hinges, so I didn't need to add a balsa strip for this purpose. This brought the entire trailing edge of the wing inline to give a more pleasing appearance. Now I have two good looking and great flying models. I recommend this kit for experienced builders with considerable spare time on their hands.

Name:	DSCN00040.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	188937

Space is at a premium inside the hatch. The battery is attached on edge to the side of the fuselage with a small amount of velcro and a seatbelt. A business card is used to separate the velcro to make installation and removal easy.

Name:	DSCN00041.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	188938