Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Alien Aircraft Hornet - small 1/2 A airplane kit

Old 07-31-2022, 06:35 PM
[email protected]

Thumbs up Alien Aircraft Hornet - small 1/2 A airplane kit

The urge to build bites again. This time a small 1/2 A airplane.
I have the plans for the Mini Pacer which I built years ago from ACE kit and flew with Cox TD .051 engine. It was fun but stubborn engine.
Balsa kits are hard to find now. I located Alien Aircraft kits at the Sig website. I selected the Hornet kit. It is an easy build and very light weight = 15 ounces without battery.
I installed Hobbypower Simonk 30A ESC and Suppo BL-2208/12 motor with 850mAh 3S lipo.
It flew great and very gentle landing. I did not install the landing gear - as easy to hand launch these small airplanes.
Balance required 1/2 oz of lead in the nose of the aircraft. I do not like dead weight.
Next, I upgraded the motor to Suppo BL-2212/6 motor (heaver by 12 ounces) and removed the lead.
Now the airplane is a rocket, but still retains it's gentle landing.
This was a fun project and next I plan to build a Baby Mach One kit from Eureka Aircraft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vince with Hornet Airplane.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	188802  
Old 07-31-2022, 07:42 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Well done model, glad to hear it flies great.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:57 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Alien Aircraft kits are great, I have the Dragon 42 seaplane. It flies wonderfully.
I got the deluxe kit with everything but the battery and covering material. (I stole it at a swap meet for $25! it was around $160 at the time)
A little HiMax motor and I flew it 21 minutes on a 1300mah battery on its maiden flight.

All pieces in my kit fit perfectly and they were good wood.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:52 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Nice plane I hate dead weight too, so I always install the biggest motor that will fit in the engine bay I like the old ACE 1/2 A Kits, I had a 1/2 A High wing plane that was meant for a 049 to 051 engine, But i put a fox 15 in it with a 7x6 prop LOL That was a fun plane to fly, everyone asked why it was so fast LOL Take care and have fun, Chellie