Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

mastered blade mcx now what?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:53 AM
nickM

Default mastered blade mcx now what?

I got a blade mcx for christmas and i want a helicopter that can be flown outside. I am thinking of a blade cp but i am not sure. what are your suggestions? thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 AM
theecoop

blade 400 IMO
Old 02-20-2009, 04:26 AM
BoysToys

I would start with a quality sim. Then I would move up to a Blade 400 or other belt driven 325mm blade collective pitch heli. I do not recommend any heli with a separate tail motor like the Blade CP or Axe CP. The Blade is a great starter combo that comes with an excellent radio.

Good Luck.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:39 AM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

The larger the heli, the greater stability. The Blade 400 is a good start. Larger than the CP and still a decent starting price. I'm partial to the Trex 450SE V2 but the price will scare many people off. With any way you go, be prepared for some real changes and a new learning curve. The coaxial helis are totally different than "regular" helis (for lack of a better term).
Old 02-20-2009, 07:08 AM
BoysToys

Like HeliG said, Larger is better. However, I would not recommend anything like my T-Rex 600 for a beginner. While it is the easiest heli I own to fly it is very intimidating when it spools up. Hearing those 600mm carbon blades spinning at 2150rpm lets you know that you are playing with a dangerous toy!

I also really like my T-Rex 450v2. The cost to get one up in the air is just to high for some. Others are also turned off by building. The Blade flies nice, come prebuilt/ready to fly, and the price is easier to swallow for a beginner.

Remember a Collective pitch heli like the Blade or T-Rex will fly nothing like your MCX. Because of this, I would start with a simulator. It will pay for its self many times over when you are learning to hover and later when you are learning new moves/tricks.

Helicopters are also very addicting! I just built my fourth and am already planning my next. I really want a T-Rex 700! Here is a quick pic of my current fleet.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 AM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

BT,
I think I know where you can unload that 600 since you are getting a 700...
just wanted to put that out there!

And Nick, a simulator is almost a must. It will pay for itself in no time!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:59 PM
nickM

Thanks for your suggestions. Are there any specific sims you would reccomend?
Old 02-21-2009, 12:32 AM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

Originally Posted by nickM View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. Are there any specific sims you would reccomend?
Absolutely! I love my RealFlight G4. You can even find it used at a better price. Some people use a sim for a while then sell it. I certainly won't. As I try to learn new stunts, I prefer to work with the sim (much cheaper to press the red reset button than replace blades, and everything else that breaks when you crash). The KnifeEdge swap pages are great as well because you can find the aircraft you have and train with it. Then you get the flight characteristics represented accurately.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Jaiwill

Yep RealFlight G4...Practice...Practice....Then for something different Practice some more
Old 02-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Twmaster

As others have said... Get a sim and a good 325MM sized (400-450 sized) belt drive heli. The BCP is, well, a bucket of pee.

The B400 while not the best heli out there is a great starting point for CP helis. It comes with a decent radio and a fly it out of the box airframe. There are mods you will want to do as you break things (think servos). Other than that it's a good value.

Just keep something in mind. The mCX is stupid simple to fly. Do not let the fact that you can do anything possible with the little thing mean you are ready for a CP bird. Practice Practice Practice man.

Best of luck! Helis are cool stuff and more addicting than crack. More expensive too!!