ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

cd-rom motors

Old 06-17-2006, 01:46 AM
bopbop

Default cd-rom motors

Hi, could someone tell me what a cd-rom motor is and how it would be used.

Thanks Ben.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:20 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default CD Rom Motors

Hi Ben, the answer to your questions and a lot more info on CD Roms, DIY (do it yourself) Motors, is here; http://www.southernsoaringclub.org.za/
Ron van Sommeren provided the link to the Southern Soaring Club's website, Brain Mulder did the articles and they're great! After you get the club site, click on " Articles from Southeasters" then "Electric Motors Pt.1"
hope it helps!
Ron
Old 06-18-2006, 02:51 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Also check out gobrushless.com.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:39 PM
ScubaSteve

New to this forum (needed to explore the world outside the Hobby Lobb... er.. um.. RGC forum) but Brian's articles are great. There's also an entire forum devoted to these motors with over 1200 users and 6000 articles.

http://www.gobrushless.com/forum

steve
gb
Old 06-23-2006, 02:31 AM
jdetray

Hi Ben,

All of the information sources offered here are excellent.

In answer to your question, a CD-ROM motor is homemade brushless motor made from motor parts found in a computer CD-ROM drive.

A few years ago, some clever flyers discovered how to adapt these motors to power R/C aircraft, and many CD-ROM drives were ripped apart to scavenge the needed parts. While you can still sacrifice a CD-ROM drives to get the parts, it is no longer necessary to do this. Companies such as Steve's GoBrushless.com now make the parts available and even sell inexpensive kits containing all the parts you need.

Be careful! Building your own brushless motors is fun and can be habit-forming!

- Jeff
Old 06-23-2006, 03:25 AM
ScubaSteve

howdy jeff what's shakin

yeah building motors has turned into a hobby within a hobby... kinda scary actually.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:36 AM
jdetray

Hi Steve-

It's sure nice to run into you. Things have come a long way since that first shipment of parts we all got from you. Who knew how much it would grow?

In addition to being fun in itself, the homemade motor sub-hobby helped to moderate the pricing of brushless motors in general. It's been a great time for motor buyers and builders.

- Jeff
Old 06-23-2006, 04:29 PM
uglyplane
Ugly planes fly better..

cd-rom motors are great! I have one in my Windbuster with a 3" prop, it scoots! Here' my daughter with the plane about 2 years ago:

Also, here's two videos' of me flying my WB about 2-3 years ago:

Old 06-23-2006, 04:35 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

My, UP!

That Little thing ain't a parkflyer for sure.

Love the way it "lands". Takes the whole P/L to come to a stop.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:52 PM
uglyplane
Ugly planes fly better..

It scoots for sure, with a good head wind, it takes a lot less room to land. I'm stuck with hard surfaces because of the small wheels. I dusted it off as well and plan to fly it at the empty hs parking lot initially to see what I'm dealing with. I have had to be very inventive in finding flying spots around here between the sports activities and trees. In Round Rock there (was) tons of vacant lots to parkfly.

qban, I'm assuming the KS will float in and land in a lot less space, correct?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:40 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by uglyplane View Post
It scoots for sure, with a good head wind, it takes a lot less room to land. I'm stuck with hard surfaces because of the small wheels. I dusted it off as well and plan to fly it at the empty hs parking lot initially to see what I'm dealing with. I have had to be very inventive in finding flying spots around here between the sports activities and trees. In Round Rock there (was) tons of vacant lots to parkfly.

qban, I'm assuming the KS will float in and land in a lot less space, correct?
YUP!

It comes in so slow you may be tempted to catch it in mid air.

With a seven to ten mph head wind it will almost hover to a landing. A majestic sight in the air, a great flying machine!

Old 08-17-2006, 04:43 AM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Default what motor

what size cd rom motor and lipo battery would i use on a great planes mini super sportster i have a need for speed and don't have the knowledge to figure this out yet only 6mos into this great hobby HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Features Includes a powerful 400-size motor and 2.4:1 gearbox — both preassembled and ready to install — along with a prop and prop adapter. The canopy is hinged to allow easy access to the battery pack for quick and easy battery changes.New look, new size — same great performance!
Tower Hobbies $5.00 Gift Certificate with purchase of a Great Planes Mini Super Sportster EP ARF on this page.
It’s the smallest Super Sportster ever — and just as capable as the larger versions! The semi-symmetrical airfoil makes the Mini Super Sportster EP ARF extremely predictable in low speed flight, while full strip ailerons offer basic aerobatic potential for loops, rolls, spins and more. The Mini Super Sportster EP ARF is a perfect choice for the pilot who’s ready to move up from a high-wing aileron trainer, or for anyone who wants to enjoy classic Super Sportster performance in a size that’s small and quiet enough to be flown at a park or sports field.
  • Quick and easy final assembly — buy it in the morning and fly it in the afternoon!
  • The built-up balsa and plywood airframe is lightweight and durable.
  • The lightweight ABS cowl and fiberglass wheel pants are finished and ready to install.
  • A complete hardware package, including pre-formed landing gear, is included.

“It carries on the Super Sportster tradition of low-wing excellence — in a version that performs well on clean, quiet electric power, and is sized to fly almost anywhere.”

Don Anderson
President & Founder,
Great Planes Model Manufacturing Co.