Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

Guillow's British SE5 Biplane Kit Conversion

Old 08-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default rep points???

I just got a negative rep point for this thread, also on another, did I do something wrong?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
I just got a negative rep point for this thread, also on another, did I do something wrong?
There should be no NEGATIVE POINTS. Only Positive. Either way, I don't think any of it makes that much sense, because we all eventually have to decide for ourselves, who the meaningful posters are.

I once got a negative point for this:
A guy called me on a setup, telling me I was full of crap. I wasn't.

Then, his buddy stepped in to jump on me. I guess he wanted to rule "All threads of that plane."

I told him what I thought, and got a negative point.

I then went to his thread for the same plane, made a little crack, and got in trouble.

This is nonsense.
I THINK WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO CALL FOLKS ON FALSELY GIVEN POINTS WITH THE ADMIN.
If they can't defend it properly, then their point posting abilty should be taken away.

Bill
Old 08-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default I agree Bill

It's that ehobby character that's doing it, apparently he's allowed to break the rules, abuse the system and has problems when his business dealings are brought to the surface here. I'm thankful someone posted a thread in regards to him, I am now enlightened. If I get any more negatives from him, I'm starting a thread with a poll to vote upon if he should be allowed to stay here and hopefully, the mod's will take note and we'll be done with him and his games once and for all. People like that are what us Watt flyer members strive so hard to avoid in the first place and don't want to be brought down due to some undesirable's childish games. Let him go back to RCG, we don't want him here, bottom line................

I also agree when it comes down to differences in opinions, or facts themselves, if you can't fully back it up with tangable, verifyable sources, it's all heresay.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Mark_Who

Lets see if we can't get this back on track here...

First, thanks for all the great info. I've been toughing out the details on a scratch build project in the same scale. This, and other threads here, have been a lot of help.

I was wondering where you located the servo's for the ailerons stabilizer and rudder, it didn't show in the photo's you so generously posted.
I'm getting nervious about CG issues

Thanks and hello

Mark

Last edited by Mark_Who; 09-17-2007 at 12:53 AM. Reason: content
Old 09-17-2007, 02:13 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Hi Mark

Welcome to Watt Flyer, I'm sure you are going to enjoy it here, alot of good people.

If you see the first photo on post 8, and the photo on post 36 you'll see where I put the servo's in. I didn't go with rudder on it, I've been ommitting incorporating it build wise these days, so it's only showing the elevator servo installed.

I'd like to take a look at the progress you have going on with your plane, I also may be doing a foam version soon.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 AM
Mark_Who

Thanks for the welcome, and the info.
I'll start a thread right here in the V&OT forum as soon as I get the parts together.
The sketches I started out with turned out to be so close to the SE5a, I'm thinking maybe I should grab the kit from Guillow's or maybe DCPM and mod it.

I've got a soft spot for Guillow's. I'll bet I built every kit they made back in the 60's. (some of them twice) When I decided to design a bipe with a narrow fuse, the image must have been stuck in my head because it's pretty much the same craft.

I'll be back soon.

M
Old 09-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Mark_Who View Post
Thanks for the welcome, and the info.
I'll start a thread right here in the V&OT forum as soon as I get the parts together.
The sketches I started out with turned out to be so close to the SE5a, I'm thinking maybe I should grab the kit from Guillow's or maybe DCPM and mod it.

I've got a soft spot for Guillow's. I'll bet I built every kit they made back in the 60's. (some of them twice) When I decided to design a bipe with a narrow fuse, the image must have been stuck in my head because it's pretty much the same craft.

I'll be back soon.

M
Yep, I've built about 15 of them at least. Just started a 200% scratch build version of their 17" Stuka.

Flying Scale just published the Rake SE5A plan. His plans are easy builds. I got the mag for a buck. The HLS may have a few more one-month old issues for a buck. I buy them whenever I can. Got a bunch of these park size plans.

The SE5A is one of my favorite Guillows builds, and a good flyer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SE5A_21_comp1_reduced_size.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	41407  
Old 09-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Mark_Who

One more question...
What did you choose for a prop?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default prop

I used an 8" prop on mine, it was pretty close to scale and worked fine.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Mark_Who

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

I used an 8" prop on mine, it was pretty close to scale and worked fine.
Any pics for motivation?

I just picked one of these up and got started building today, after a previous evening removing parts from die-cut sheets. The wood was pretty consistent, versus planes like my Guillows P47 with iron wood for hlf of the fuse formers, and lighter than contest wood for the other half. Only had 1 wing strut that I had to throw out, as it has less strength than a 1/4" square section of carrot. Made two spars from better wood I had here, and will use theirs for the rest.

I've been flying my Guillows SE5A and DR1 regularly as of lately, and wanted something a bit larger with ailerons.
The little DR1 is amazing! Constantly rocks from side to side while in flight, but is overall very stable.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:06 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

I'll build another, but only after I finish my current plane, it's a 39" biplane, I'm going wwI era, no plans, no model to model after, just raw inspiration, experience and fun. I'll take progress photo's of it then, for now, mine is trashed in a non flying mishap.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:20 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

I'll build another, but only after I finish my current plane, it's a 39" biplane, I'm going wwI era, no plans, no model to model after, just raw inspiration, experience and fun. I'll take progress photo's of it then, for now, mine is trashed in a non flying mishap.
That's the most rewarding way to build. I've done a few that way.
I've been getting more into the WWI planes lately, as they are so majestic. Saw a photo of the Bristol M1c a few months back that is now on the cover of Flying Scale this month (not mine, but maybe I can fool some people ). Had to have one, and built one just like it. Beautiful planes.

Name:	Bristol_M1c_FlyingScale.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	79413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol_M1c_flight_2.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	79414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol_M1c_flight_4.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	79415   Click image for larger version

Name:	BristolM1C_66.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	79416  
Old 09-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Bill, I had to shift gears recently even from the current build and play grown up for a while and place much more focus along my business since I exited this local operation punching their time clock. In the latter context, I've been chatting over the phone with their recently laid off head foreman, if I knew then what I know now I would have ran screaming lol.

Anyway, I'm doing a total rebuild of an espresso machine (can continue when my parts supplier figures out all of the gaskets I need, so it is currently in around 200 different pieces awaiting re-assembly on one of my workbenches, refinishing and sending back out for another tour of service an espresso cart built by the company I currently own, it was made in 1989 that I was only recently acquired, it was running very strong in the heart of Seattle the whole time, but its cool it only requires little more then cleaning, playing exclusive IT for a guy that owns a couple of little operations, ie. a Shell gas station and a Taco Del Mar that is so close I don't bother even driving to it and of course, he already has me bidding on build projects, he has no idea how overqualified I am with both of those matters. Bill, I'm not even discussing what I'm doing on the web, or in particular, as you note from my signature, getting much more heavy duty with computer land, oh yeah, I also launched a computer repair and data recovery division, If that is not enough, I play guitar to ridicoules levels and that really fun hobby has also taken up much of my time, at least I'm at the stage of simply having fun with it rather then still trying to learn the basics.

That said, here is a photo of the current progress, excuse the mess, I have finished gutting out my shop and putting everything back in order since then. Before I move forward with corner, struts and additional scale style bracing and running the scale pull pull cable assemblies through it, I'm going to dream up a nice looking fuse for it so that step is done most tactfully.

Name:	IMG_2624.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	79440  

Last edited by Saucerguy2; 09-28-2008 at 10:05 AM.