GWS Cub with custom paint on 3s. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

GWS Cub with custom paint on 3s.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Dean in Milwaukee

Default GWS Cub with custom paint on 3s.

I had been looking for something relaxing to fly in the golf dome in between flights of my more intense 3d planes, when I hit apon the idea of doing a basic GWS Cub parkflyer, with custom clipped wing cub paint. I decided to build it with a brushed motor in part because I had all the parts laying around, and performance would be adequete for just floating around with an occasional loop.
The stock GWS cub uses their ips-a motor, which is a 12mm diameter 1 oz brushed motor in a 5.86:1 ratio gearbox. This works well with their 97 slowflyer prop on 2 cell lipo, pulling about 2 amps. I wanted more power however, so I kept the stock setup but changed to a 8.6:1 ratio, and 3s340 Kokum lipos. This setup pulls slightly less amps than stock, and gives more rpm for better power. In flight, climb is quite a lot better than stock, and I have had flights as long as 18 minutes on the 340′s. That means average flight current in cruise mode is only around 1.1 amps, and the motor runs cool. The paintjob was done by buying a slope unpainted and motorless version of the plane, and used masking tape and foam safe spray paint. The white areas are just bare foam. The only other mods were more scale like wheels and I used carbon rods for wing spars instead of the stock wood.
This is a nice plane for relaxing flight in indoor or calm outdoor air, and looks mighty nice on the fly-by. While not aerobatic, it will do nice wingovers and loops.
Dean
Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 AM
hangingon

Very nice looking cub you have there.