Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Super Cub Wing Strut Mistake ?

Old 12-25-2008, 03:45 AM
diverdon

Default Super Cub Wing Strut Mistake ?

Hello Everyone , I Hope that you are all enjoying your new toys .. It's not quite time for santa to come yet but I'll bet there's a lot of presents that have ben traded aready.

I have goten a new wing for my oksuper cub and like the last one I decided to leave off the 2 strut plastic pieces off and just support the wing with Carbon fibre rods .. Last time I ran 1 the whole length of thewing underneath. This time I used 2 pieces of carbon arrow shaft but did not run them the whole length of the wing ..

It is sort of a pain to get it thru the middle because of the way its made you have to cut the middle part really deep to do it full length.. After I was done it occured to me thatthe weak part of the wing might be in the middle .(That's where they snap) ..

Anyhow I am thinking about adding a small piece with some overlapto the middle of the wing . Doin it this way it won't have to be cut so deep to ad the piece.

Please can one of you more expereined people give me your thoughts on this ?? Please? Well of course this is too long as usual .. sorry ..

Please have a good and SAFE Christmas , Don J

P.S. - Here's a pic of this
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub Wing.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	87907  
Old 12-25-2008, 04:03 AM
birdDog
Charging....

You could try finding a piece of aluminum tubing that will either fit inside or outside of the rods and possibly put a couple of bends and epoxy on it. Might be kind of tricky to bend without kinking.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:07 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Hi Don, those CF rods don't look flush with the bottom of the wing... it will act like brakes/flaps and want to pull up a little...

If you are going to CF the wing... the middle is the way to go... and usually put the CF Rod through the thickest part of the wing...

the best (simplest) way I've seen to deal with the supercub wing, is to use the stock struts, but hold the part that connects to the fuse with velcro... it works suprisingly well... usually it will come loose if you cartwheel it and not break them... but I have never had one come loose inflight... and I've torked it around pretty good....

SK
Old 12-25-2008, 04:12 AM
birdDog
Charging....

You could try sanding a long taper on three pieces, jam a bamboo shish kabob stick or two in it and epoxy the heck out of the joints. Kinda like this.....

P.S. Like Ministeve, I pref fer the struts too. I just carry a small screwdriver.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Taper.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	87912  
Old 12-25-2008, 04:19 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

one of these days I'll have to take a picture of the velcro wingstrut mod, you'll all wonder why you've been flying without it...

SK
Old 12-25-2008, 04:25 AM
birdDog
Charging....

P.S.S. I have run the heck out of mine at full speed dives with a 2200mah 3s Lipo pulling the stick WAY back near the ground and I am still on my first wing (couple cartwheels too) with the struts and some clear packing tape on the wing.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:12 PM
diverdon

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
P.S.S. I have run the heck out of mine at full speed dives with a 2200mah 3s Lipo pulling the stick WAY back near the ground and I am still on my first wing (couple cartwheels too) with the struts and some clear packing tape on the wing.
Thanks to you all , Will use your ideas thinking the home made strut (cables)..

It just gets me that I know the breaking place i've seen them snap is in the middle .They just seem to fold there.. But still I messed it up ?? Oh Well , Guess I gotta do what I'm good at (Messin up) ..

Merry Christmas to all , and please be safe today , Don J.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:33 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
You could try finding a piece of aluminum tubing that will either fit inside or outside of the rods and possibly put a couple of bends and epoxy on it. Might be kind of tricky to bend without kinking.
Slightly off-topic, yeah - but the best way to bend soft metal tubing like brass or aluminum is to fill it with water and freeze it before you do the bend.

I did the same thing to accommodate the dihedral in my Spitfire.

GRU
Old 12-25-2008, 09:44 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Thumbs up I knew somebody knew!

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Slightly off-topic, yeah - but the best way to bend soft metal tubing like brass or aluminum is to fill it with water and freeze it before you do the bend.

GRU
Thanks!
Old 12-27-2008, 04:18 AM
diverdon

GRU
Another great idea .. Freezing the metal - I have aluminum tubing that would be perfect for that . I will try it . Thanks .. I'll let you know . Don J.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:44 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

GRU

I had always seen it done with sand...

same principle I suppose.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:09 AM
diverdon

Default See The Pic ?

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
one of these days I'll have to take a picture of the velcro wingstrut mod, you'll all wonder why you've been flying without it...

SK

Hi Steve , Heres me buggin you for a pic of your strut arrangement . I found a way to add another piece of aluminum tubing but I sorta think this wing is stronger than I had before . I was just to lazy to hook up a strut wire it's not that big a deal ... I am thinking I will make a strut wire that's easy to hook up ..

How's that sound , Don J.