ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Wing Dragon/Wing Dragon 4/Begin-Air Series Planes Tips & Tricks

Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Up & Away

Default Newbie

Hi Guys

Sorry no info on replacing the wing, but I do have a new question. Will I benefit from using flaperons on my Wing Dragon Sportster. Any info?

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:13 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

the plane is quite light, I don't think you would need flaperons unless you are going to add some real weight, but even then, the wing surface will only allow so much anyway.

and Bill is right, the diff between the WD models is in the shape of the control surfaces, but not in how they go together. if you buy a WD4 Sportster wing, you will be able to use it on any WD or BeginAir fuselage.. color might be different but still the same thing where the wing and fuselage meet..
Old 03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Up & Away View Post
Hi Guys

Sorry no info on replacing the wing, but I do have a new question. Will I benefit from using flaperons on my Wing Dragon Sportster. Any info?

Thanks for the help so far.
I've tried setting up both flaperons and spoilerons on my WD4 (orange wing) and didn't notice any appreciable difference in the way it flies. I think the problem is that the aileron control surface just isn't large enough to grab much air when used as flaps or spoilers. BosTom probably has the most experience trying them out, so get up with him for more detailed information.

Bill
Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Up & Away

Default Wing Dragon aerial query

Hi guys
A new question, has anybody re-routed the rx aerial on the WD. I've been wondering if the tail boom (not sure of material) has any influence on frequency/ causes interference. Is there another way of routing the aerial?

cheers for now
Old 04-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Haven't tried rerouting the antenna, and don't know what the boom is made of, so I don't know if the antenna being inside the boom effects reception or not.

BosTom has flown to the outer limits of the range. He could tell you if he rerouted the antenna or left it alone.

The only other way I can think of to get the antenna away from the boom, if it's actually necessary, would be to run it along the wing.

Bill
Old 04-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Up & Away

Hi Bill

Was at the field again yesterday, had no problems. I think I'll leave it in the boom for now, unless others confirm my suspicions.

Thanks

Leon
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
yannc

Thumbs up New charger for WD4?

Hello,
I received my WD4 yesterday, and wow I'm impressed. I was going to buy the 4CH Nemo Plane but they didn't have it in stock and went for the WD4. So easy to put together and today I had my first flight and all went very well, predictable and stable. My only concern is the combo battery + charger. 4h to charge is a little long. I also have a Lama V3 and Honey Bee 4CH and heli batteries charge in less than an hour.
Is there a different charger I could buy to reduce the charging time of the WD4? Does anybody recommend a Lipo battery (same weight as the stock Nimh to not disturbe the CG), that would work with the stock ESC and motor?

Thanks,
Yann
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

The 2200 mAh Lipo batteries I have for my Slow Stick weigh almost the same as the 9,6 volt, NiMH that came with my WD4, however, they are too long to fit in the plane.

I have a feeling if you go to Lipo you'll have to add some weight since almost all the electronics are as far forward as they will go already.

As for a charger, get one of the multi-chargers that has the LCD display. You can get one from just about anywhere but HobbyCity will probably have the best price.

I have the G.T. Power A6 and it does just fine charging all my batteries, including my Lipos, NiMH flight batteries, transmitter battery, and 12 volt lead-acid/gel-cell battery.

Only disadvantage is you can only charge one battery chemistry at a time.

Bill
Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 PM
road_rascal

I sometimes use FlightMax 2200mAh batts in my WD (usually 1500mAh) and they fit fine. Bill- 2200mAh in a Slow Stick? Must fly for hours . I can eek out about 20min in my SS with a 1500.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
I sometimes use FlightMax 2200mAh batts in my WD (usually 1500mAh) and they fit fine. Bill- 2200mAh in a Slow Stick? Must fly for hours . I can eek out about 20min in my SS with a 1500.
My SS is my AP plane and it's kinda heavy at around 32oz AUW with camera onboard. It's also one of the newer SS's with the thicker wing and the clear plastic wing brace. I've also beefed up the landing gear and put 3" wheels on it for grass TO and landings and the bigger battery. I can get about the same 20 min of flight time with my 2200's.

Bill
Old 04-29-2009, 10:35 AM
yannc

Road_rascal, what is the weight of your FlightMax 2200mAh? Also, this battery has the same connector as the Lipos I use for my helis (I have a E_Sky EK2-0851 7.4V/11.1V Balanced Lithium Polymer Battery Charger). I suppose I can just buy a simple adapter to plug it on the plane?
Also, the first battery I bought for my Honey Bee FP was too heavy (3e Li-polymer Battery 7.4V 10C 1800mAh).
Would that work on the WD4?

Cheers,
Yann
Old 04-29-2009, 11:35 AM
yannc

Just realised that the battery you mention has a T-Connector (Deans Type) as well, so I can just charge it with my current Esky charger and plug it straight to the plane!
Cheers,
Yann
Old 05-09-2009, 10:40 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Default Wing Dragon Flaps

Quite a number of people seem to have tried Flapperons on the Wing Dragon.
As I fly from a rough grass field with no U/C I thought I would try proper flaps to see how much it would reduce the landing speed.
I could do this relatively easily because:-
1. My own design "Depron" wing had quite small ailerons so there was space for reasonably sized flaps.
2. As the ailerons had a strong differential action the rudder channel was available to allow fully proportional flaps.
Each flap had its own 5g servo with the flap travelling from 0 to 85 degrees.
The TX was modified to divert the rudder stick action to a side mounted "flap" knob.
The results were quite spectacular.
1. Applying the flap slowly meant that the trim changes were easily controlled.
2. At small flap angles (5 degrees) the extra lift allowed for some really tight loops.
3. At 85 degrees the minimum speed was very slow (about walking pace) but of course at this speed aileron control was getting marginal. Calm conditions only!
Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Flapup1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	100668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flapdown.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	100669   Click image for larger version

Name:	TXflap1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	100670  
Old 05-10-2009, 05:17 PM
gielkop

Sir Raleigh,

is better to remove Quick Tech Hobby from part dealers. because they are ripping off lots of people, including me! I made an order, they charged on my credit card and I never heard of them again. I send 4 e-mails and had no answer.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:19 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Thanks for the feedback, gielkop. I'll pull them off right now.

If you find any others please let me know.

Bill
Old 05-11-2009, 12:17 PM
gielkop

After my problem, I made a search in Google and found many others with the same problem. I contacted my credit card to try to get my money back.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Thanks for the followup.

I've never had to complain to my CC for any kind of problems. Yet.....

I'm sure they will straighten it out for you.

Bill
Old 05-11-2009, 06:10 PM
gielkop

I hope so, Bill...

Changing subject,

i bouth a Sportster wing with ailerons for my wingdragon, but the plane became very strange. I cant explain very well, but it started to have some frightning reactions. Im very used to fly ailerons planes, but the dragon got me...

Last edited by gielkop; 05-12-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 AM
yannc

Smile

Just wanted to report out on a previous post I made in this thread. If you are a beginner happy with the stock performance and just want shorter charging time (and longer flying time), then a 2S lipo works well (you don't need to change any electronics). I bought this one (http://www.raidentech.com/3emoli111810.html) for one of my helicopters but it was too heavy. It is perfect for the plane (I did buy a Deans connector to JST connector), I also added some extra weight (used AAA batteries). It charges in 1h with the Esky balance charger.
I also think that there is a slight performance improvement and wasn't expecting this as the voltage is lower (7.4V vs 9.6V).
Did my third flight with this Lipo (the first 2 flights were done with the stock battery) and managed to pull out a roll and a loop so I am delighted with the results!
Thanks for all the advices!

cheers,
Yann
Old 07-04-2009, 04:36 PM
floridawen

Question Which is Better? Wing Dragon 4 RTF -or- Begin-Air 4 RTF

I have learned to fly my Multiplex Easy Star and I am now ready to move on to an “aileron” aircraft. I am trying to decide which one of the two do I want for my “second plane”? TheWing Dragon 4 RTF http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon4_7020_prd1.htm or the Begin-Air http://www.hobbytron.com/Begin-Air-4-Channel-RTF-Electric-R-C-Aircraft.html ??

Which of the two aircraft is “less sensitive” and better for a beginner who wants to learn Ailerons? Which has the better motor (brushless?) and the better ESC, better BATTERIES? Which one is more “bang-for-the-buck” but superior in construction and design?

Please HELP this “newbie” out. I DON’T want a Piper Cub with Ailerons, I like the two models I mentioned above. THANKS !!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 AM
yannc

I started with the Wing Dragon Sportster (i.e. Beginair) as my first plane and then bought parts from the wing dragon 4 (orange parts) after a few crashes. For me and as a beginner, there is no difference between these 2 planes. Even thought the wing does have a different shape, it is not really noticeable for a beginner like me. Both planes can do exactly the same thing, have the same battery (9.6V 1000 mah) and motor (Speed 480). Go the for cheapest and when your stock motor gets tired and you can fly the plane confortably, upgrade to brushless (TowerPro 2408).
I never flew a plane before and the learning curve was very fast with the Wing dragon. If you flew the Multiplex Easy star before, it's going to be very easy for you as you probably already mastered the orientation (something I didn't have when first I throw my plane in the air :-)

Yann
Old 07-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

floridawen, if you'll check out the Wing Dragon/Wing Dragon 4/Begin-Air Series Planes Tips & Tricks thread you'll find links to reviews of the three planes. That might help.

Bill
Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 PM
floridawen

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
floridawen, if you'll check out the Wing Dragon/Wing Dragon 4/Begin-Air Series Planes Tips & Tricks thread you'll find links to reviews of the three planes. That might help.

Bill
Hey Bill, Happy 4th !!

Yes, I found that thread before and read the reviews. From what I got out of the reviews the Begin-Air and Wing Dragon 4 are about the same except the BA has a canopy and the review said it was a little "twitchy". I decided to order the WING DRAGON 4 and two extra batteries (NiMH).
I am using the Begin-Air on my FMS Flight Simulator and have no problem taking off, landing, and all the stuff in between !! I can do loops and rolls, figure eights........ now lets see if I can perform the same on the REAL model ?? Remember, I coming from a Multiplex Easy Star with stock motor. Very hard for the Easy Star to do loops unless it's really moving fast !!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Hi floridawen,

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I don't remember if I had any problems doing a loop with the stock motor that came on my WD4 because it was only a couple of weeks before I upgraded it and the ESC to brushless, and that was a couple of years ago, but the brushless with the NiMH batteries will do loops without any problems.

If you're going to be doing aerobatics I'd suggest you glue the wing halves together instead of just pushing them together since the plane doesn't have struts or CF reinforcement.

Also, FYI, you can use any 9g servo as a replacement. The Tower Pro from headsuprc or the HXT900 from Hobby City fit and do just fine.

Bill
Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 PM
floridawen

Question Wing Dragon 4 - GLUE for WINGS ??

I just ordered a Wing Dragon 4 and read on several posts here that it is advisable to GLUE the WING HALVES together for rigidity and support. I was wondering WHAT IS THE BEST GLUE to use for doing this ?? Presently I have Loctite Professional 60 MINUTE EPOXY, is this the BEST ??

Quick Reply: Wing Dragon/Wing Dragon 4/Begin-Air Series Planes Tips & Tricks

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12028 seconds with 16 queries