General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Making Landing Gear ???

Old 07-24-2008, 03:38 PM
JaxFlyer

Question Making Landing Gear ???

Hey guys, I recently bought a HL Yak 55 and I want to put landing gear on it so can you guys tell me what I need to make it or is there a website that I can buy the correct size of landing gear for my yak???
Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 PM
darylm44

Most foamie landing gear are made up of carbon fiber rods or tubes with a short piece of wire attached to the bottom. The rod generally goes through the wing to the fuse, to give it strength. The wire at the bottom is bent to form the axle. You can wrap the wire with string and CA or us heatshrink with CA to hold it to the carbon.

There are probably many other ways but this seems to be the way most of the kits I have purchased come.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

FWIW the HL Yak flies better without any additional weight. The lighter the better.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
We've put landing gear on several of those. The way we do it is to cut out two pieces of 1/32" ply about 1.5" by 1.5" and glue that to the sides of the fuse. Then we take some music wire, 3/32" works well enough, and bend it so at the top there's a 5/16" right angle bend to go through the fuse, then run the wire foreward about 3/4", then a right abgle down the fusde side and on down to the wheel. As soon as the wire clears the fuse you'll want to bend it out a bit so it spreads to a nice wide stance.

Next, you need to bend another piece of wire almost exactly the same as the first, but change the length between the bend that goes through the fuse and the down-leg. Drill two holes through the ply and foam for the initial pegs and a bunch of smaller holes around the wire as it goes down the fuse sides and lace them in place with unwaxed dental floss. Hit the whole mess with foam safe Ca add wheels, and you're done.

RobII
Old 07-25-2008, 09:02 PM
JaxFlyer

Thanks I will try one of those ideas!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Hey now,
We've put landing gear on several of those. The way we do it is to cut out two pieces of 1/32" ply about 1.5" by 1.5" and glue that to the sides of the fuse. Then we take some music wire, 3/32" works well enough, and bend it so at the top there's a 5/16" right angle bend to go through the fuse, then run the wire foreward about 3/4", then a right abgle down the fusde side and on down to the wheel. As soon as the wire clears the fuse you'll want to bend it out a bit so it spreads to a nice wide stance.

Next, you need to bend another piece of wire almost exactly the same as the first, but change the length between the bend that goes through the fuse and the down-leg. Drill two holes through the ply and foam for the initial pegs and a bunch of smaller holes around the wire as it goes down the fuse sides and lace them in place with unwaxed dental floss. Hit the whole mess with foam safe Ca add wheels, and you're done.

RobII
Rob,

Do you have photos of this technique, or could you take some please?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2008, 03:15 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

There is a whole thread about this somewhere - might try a Google search cuz it might be on another forum. I asked the same question myself a while back. I have found that it flies very well without any gear, and if I cut the throttle before landing, there is no damage to the prop either - even on concrete runways...