Combat Electric combat discussion in here.

Streamer combat in SW Ohio

Old 11-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Azarr
Electric Junkie

Default Streamer combat in SW Ohio

Our club will be flying some streamer combat in the spring. While I'd prefer full contact combat, our field layout just won't permit it. You really don't want to go chasing a downed plane through a field with 12' corn in July.

The motor is limited to the Tower Pro 2408-21 or it's re-badged brothers (BP for example). Buzzsaw's group and another group in Chicago are using this motor and it will give us some continuity.

I'm going to be sending out a newsletter to our combat pilots, if anyone is interested in following our progress you can PM or email me your real name and your email address and I'll add you to the list. This is an opt-in list and each newsletter will have a link to unsubscribe if you decide not to continue with us. You can also sign up through my web site and just choose the SMAC Combat Contingent when it gives you the choice of newsletters.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Sounds good.I'll post a couple of photos of some F&F planes I cut out and worked on today.
Buzzy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov.30,2008, 2008 001.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	85280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov.30,2008, 2008 002.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	85281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov.30,2008, 2008 003.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	85282  
Old 11-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Azarr
Electric Junkie

Man, you were busy today. Nice start on a good size fleet. I like the rounded tips. Archie is sending me two of his kits tomorrow, I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Buzz,
A couple questions, I apologize for the slightly off-topic direction:

What is F&F stand for?
How stable is that design? Is it a demon, wicked wild, or can it be flown sedately?
Where can we obtain either a kit, or plans, or dimensions, etc....?

I flew my first combat in Tulsa, OK while on vacation this week, and had a blast! Can't wait to see all the fun you folks have in Ohio!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Buzz,
A couple questions, I apologize for the slightly off-topic direction:

What is F&F stand for?
How stable is that design? Is it a demon, wicked wild, or can it be flown sedately?
Where can we obtain either a kit, or plans, or dimensions, etc....?

I flew my first combat in Tulsa, OK while on vacation this week, and had a blast! Can't wait to see all the fun you folks have in Ohio!
F&F stands for Fast & Furious.It can be flown how ever you set it up the controls.We have flown the WWII planes for the last 3 years and this is just a step up.They build faster and are more durable also fly faster and turn quicker than the WWII planes.If you go to Azarr blog below he has posted a print.Keep reading the blog and I posted some changes I have made to the plane.Also you can go to our web site WW2ecombat on yahoo groups and follow our group also.
Buzzy

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post11044720

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ww2ecombat/

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 12-01-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Azarr
Electric Junkie

I've been shamelessly "borrowing" :o from Buzzy's group, they've been doing this long enough to have some real experience with both the motors and the planes. I'm going to build a couple with Buzzy's mods this weekend. I'm going to be combat plane poor by the end of the month

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Old 12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Azzar,I found a weak spot by gluing the motor stick to the bottom of the plane in a couple of my planes that have been mid-aired. Your not suppose to have mid airs.LOL.On a couple of planes I built yesterday I added 2 small pieces of foam to help hold the motor stick in place a little better. I'll post pictures of the new mod this afternoon after the grand kids leave. Now I'm watching a 1.2,3,year olds.
Buzzy
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
F&F stands for Fast & Furious.It can be flown how ever you set it up the controls.We have flown the WWII planes for the last 3 years and this is just a step up.They build faster and are more durable also fly faster and turn quicker than the WWII planes.If you go to Azarr blog below he has posted a print.Keep reading the blog and I posted some changes I have made to the plane.Also you can go to our web site WW2ecombat on yahoo groups and follow our group also.
Buzzy

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post11044720

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ww2ecombat/
Thanks Buzz, I will check those out.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
Azzar,I found a weak spot by gluing the motor stick to the bottom of the plane in a couple of my planes that have been mid-aired. Your not suppose to have mid airs.LOL.On a couple of planes I built yesterday I added 2 small pieces of foam to help hold the motor stick in place a little better. I'll post pictures of the new mod this afternoon after the grand kids leave. Now I'm watching a 1.2,3,year olds.
Buzzy
Heres a couple of photos I took of the new mod.There may be better ways than this to stiffen the motor stick up without adding much more weight.
Buzzy

Name:	Dec.2,2008 001.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	85488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec.2,2008 002.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	85489  

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 12-02-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Azarr
Electric Junkie

Here's a new kit I got from Archie Adamison (Iceman67 on RCG) Beautiful CNC cut blue foam and includes the motor mount and 1/4" dowel spar. The price is right for a combat plane also, $15 each or 2/$25.00. I don't want to post his email address, but you can either reach him through Iceman 67 or contact me and I'll give you his email.

I'm building for E-Fest at the moment, but will do a quick build when I get back next week. If you're on our combat mailing list I'll have info on there also.

Azarr

Name:	Archie's Combat Planes 004.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	92502  
Old 02-03-2009, 01:38 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

So have you guys flown any combat yet just for fun? I'm trying to get combat going here in Tulsa and looking for ideas. Here is what we have so far for the rules.

Tournament Rules:
World War II Fighter ENTRY CLUB SPORT E-Combat
Objective: To recreate the excitement of WWII era fighter combat in an enjoyable, safe, competition that will be interesting for spectators, inexpensive and challenging for the contestants.

Overview: Eighteen feet of dark streamer material will be provided by the contest director to each competing pilot. The streamer is attached to the aircraft by taping it to the plane on the rudder at the aircraft’s centerline.
Each sortie will have duration of five minutes.

Combat Aircrafts Legal Specifications:
Must be a recognizable replica of a WWII forward propeller design aircraft, 28" to 32" wingspan with no square inch minimums or maximums. GWS Zero Kit or scratch built WWII planes with correct wingspan shall be legal.

E-COMBAT MOTORS:
Any 300 class or smaller brushed motor which may be timed or direct/gear drive brushless motor. Limited only to a 2s Lipo battery pack (7.4V).

ENGAGEMENT RULES:

The aircraft shall tow a 3/8" by 18' foot long ribbon, There shall be no leader string used at any time.
Each plane receives 100 points for being in the air when “START COMBAT” is called. 100 points shall be deducted and aircraft must land if it over-flies the flight line. 100 points are gained by cutting off a portion of another aircraft’s streamer. The killed plane or aircraft with the cut streamer must land, even if it has most of its streamer left. 100 points are awarded when “TIME” is called and aircraft lands with an intact streamer.

FORCED LANDINGS:

If for any reason your plane lands early your round is over. You get to keep any points earned prior to the forced landing. You will not receive any points for completing the round even if your streamer is still intact.

EXCEPTIONS:

Should a plane make a cut and be forced to land because the streamer wrapped up in his prop, he shall be marked as completing the round and scored with the kill.
Should two planes contact each other and one plane is rendered un-flyable, the remaining plane flying is scored with a 100 point kill if it completes that round.

Flight durations: Five minutes (peak of batteries) which allow for faster recharge time between rounds.
Number of contestants: The number of planes up at a time is up to the event director. We have launched up to 10 planes at a time with great results. Single conversion receivers are widely used on these planes to save weight. These receivers can be subject to glitches. Pilot spacing becomes critical. Allow 5 foot spacing between pilots to keep radios from cross talking. A winner is determined by adding up the points at the end of the day.
Here is how I have it planned for the first day...of course I have no idea how it will actually go.

Saturday March 28 at 9:00am "Start Combat" will be called. We will fly 5 rounds 30 minutes apart with the last round starting at 11:00.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Smoke, sounds like you guys planning some combat shorties.When we started flying we didn't have any time between rounds. But that didn't last long because everyone want to sit around and hanger fly and theirs nothing wrong with that. Now we have a timer set for 13 minutes between rounds and this has worked for our group. It may not for your group. But also we try to get in 10 rounds or more per contest.You guys have fun.
Buzzy
Old 02-03-2009, 04:40 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thanks Buzz. How often do you guys get together? I am thinking every other weekend.

For now I think I will keep it at 30 minutes to give plenty of time for repairs between rounds. I don't really know how many guys are going to show up with 1 plane let alone a couple of extras. For the same reason is why I think 5 rounds will be good enough for now.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Thumbs up

This is our schedule for 2009 and I'm sure we'll work some more contest in.
2009 Hagerstown R/C Club Combat Contests

March
Sat. 7th at Hagerstown
Thurs.19th at the AMA

April
Sat. 4th at Hagerstown
Thurs.16th at the AMA

May
Sat.2nd at Hagerstown
Thurs.21st at AMA

June
Sat.6th at Hagerstown
Thurs.18th at the AMA

July
Sat.11th at Hagerstown
Thurs.23rd at the AMA

August
Sat. 1st at Hagerstown
Thurs.20th at the AMA

September
Sat.5th at Hagerstown
Thurs.17th at the AMA

October
Sat.3rd at Hagerstown
Thurs.15th at the AMA

November
Sat.7th at Hagerstown
Thurs.19th at the AMA

All contests will start at 10:00 or whenever 3 flyers show up to fly. We will be using the same rules we have been using in the past. I would like to get 10 to 12 rounds at each contest. If we canít fly at the AMA, it will be posted on our web site where we will fly. Only spectrum radios can fly at the contests at the AMA. At Hagerstown you can use any radio.
Buzzy
Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thanks Buzzy
Old 02-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Sailor Jerry

I've never flown combat before, but have been dying to try it. Any tips? I may try to make some of the Muncie dates this summer.