3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Re: ULTRAFLY ULTIMATE ELECTRIC BIPLANE

Old 02-06-2009, 12:09 AM
JGreenman

Unhappy Re: ULTRAFLY ULTIMATE ELECTRIC BIPLANE

I just finished building the Ultrafly Ultimate Bipe. I am having the hardest time configuring the ailerons on this plane. I cannot get the upper and lower ailerons to move the same degree movement. I am using a clevis connector on the top aileron and a z-bend on the lower. When the lower aileron moves down, it pulls the upper aileron much farther then the lower aileron goes. I cannot seem to get these ailerons to synchronize. Maybe someone who has built and flown this plane can give me some suggestion as to how they configured the aileron connectors.
Thanks
Old 02-06-2009, 01:10 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Hi greenman! Welcome aboard! Try experimenting with different hole positions on the control horns. Ideally, you want the top to bottom linkage to be set at an equal distance from the hinges on both ailerons. Whew
Old 02-06-2009, 02:16 AM
JGreenman

Default Re: Ultrafly Ultimate

Thanks. I will try different holes on the control horns. The horns are placed as per the manufacturers instructions. They both face outward and are positioned at the edge of the upper and lower ailerons. The connecting rod is on a slant due to the design of the UYltimate with the upper wing forward of the lower wing. Both ailerons move freely when unnatached. Somewho when I attach them the lower aileron pulls the upper aileron down furhter than the lower aileron. I must be missing something. I will try what you suggested.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 AM
CrashnBurn09

Greenman keep us up to date I just bought this plane and I will start building it soon. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Ejet42

Hey guys,
I'm putting one of these together now - are any of you still flying your Ultrafly Ultimate??

I am beefing mine up significantly as I was really less than comfortable with the 3mm Depron struts. I am adding a sheet of 1/32" plywood inboard on both outboard struts, and two 1/32" layers (1/16" plywood) on the center strut. I have relieved all slots to accommodate these additions. Also, I have added a center spar in the horizontal stabilizer as well as the actual rudder. Additionally I am adding a 1/32 plywood skin on the outside of the lower 1.5" of the rudder (the portion that has the control horn and the tail wheel wire).

Hopefully all of this will ensure lots of "beef" - I just had a bad feeling of wing separation while doing a high throttle snap roll.

Regarding the initial question of getting equal throw on the ailerons (top and bottom), the best way is to have the "linking horns" on the same side of the upper and lower aileron. That is, if the horn on the lower aileron is on the top side (the connections need to be near the outside edge (farthest away from the hinge line), then the horn on the upper aileron MUST be on the top also, and in the same relative position on the aileron. Do this and the throws on the upper and lower aileron WILL be the same.

Best Regards,
H2
Old 07-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

I got one still in the box.I was planning on glassing it for extra strength(never done it before) you got any pics of your mods?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:57 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I used to have one of these and really enjoyed it. I don't see any reason to glass it for strength though. I used to beat the heck out of mine and never had any problems. Well except for the time I landed it in the top of a tree... and the time I did the inverted figure 9... and... LOL

Fun little flying airplane though.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

yea, I figured this would be my experimental plane to delve into the world of glassing & painting.I think I'll go hit wallyworld to see if they carry silk.I've seen the online links for silk but no paypal-no thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

It would be a fairly easy one to try it on. There are no complex curves in the wings. Pretty straight forward glassing job I would suspect. I've never done one though so I'm just taking a WAG.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Ejet42

All,
Careful on the glass and foam ......... I was just going to "resin" a body one time for a little extra rigidity ...... baddd idea!

H2
Old 07-29-2009, 07:18 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Ejet42 View Post
All,
Careful on the glass and foam ......... I was just going to "resin" a body one time for a little extra rigidity ...... baddd idea!

H2
Probably why I never did it!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Originally Posted by Ejet42 View Post
All,

H2
isn't glassing what you're supposed to do to foam.I was gonna use silk & wbpu.I thought this was the best way to finish foam
Old 07-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Ejet42

I guess it depends on the "resin" - certainly not the glass. I only know that I was using what I consider standard fiberglass resin (automotive type) and it definitely dissolved foam .......