Meaty Foamies! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Meaty Foamies!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:36 AM
MrElusive
EDF NUT

Default Meaty Foamies!

Heres something kinda funny but cool... when i was about 8 years old, mom would come home with chicken from the store and toss the foam tray in the trash after preping the meat. I would grab up the tray and cut it up into strips and made stuff like instant airplanes you could toss and glide after adding a paper clip to the nose. and that stuff actualy worked well! and then i got into making those trays into a poor mans boat by adding some little mottor with a pop-can tin style prop hooked to a 9v battery that would actualy paddle along in our pool. too funny how in our disposable world there is soo much stuff you can make fly or even cruise on water.

P.s those long yellow meat foam trays were the best and the curved out edges made it to where your wings would have some kind of winglits on the ends.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
It's a revelation we've all had. Well, many anyhow
I often use bits of meat trays on my FFF models, I like the contrast of yellow (or black) against the blue, I'll even cut strips and inlay them into fuses to get stripes.

Also myself and several folks I know use meat trays to build test platforms for later larger models. It's cheap (free), quick, and lets you know today if a design has any potential. It glues nice, sands well, and it's plenty stiff for toss gliders...
RobII
Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

Around these parts the foam trays are actually hard to come by. But many done it ands its great way to help the eviroment...kinda.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
How are they hard to come by? Does your meat come on paper? Does everybody hunt? What's the deal?
Last time I was in the midwest *everything* fresh came on meat trays wrapped in plastic, even the vegies. It was wierd...
RobII
Old 08-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

I get my meat and stuff from wallyworld. All their meat comes in those platic containers, thats what most stores have around here.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,

Huh, haven't seen those, so I have *no* idea what you're talking about.
Machs nix...
RobII
Old 08-16-2007, 08:44 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Ha! When i was 8 too i had an Rc Car which i crashed down a set of stairs which i gutted threw everything out(didnt even save the Rx i had no idea what to do with them) except the motor. Then i grabbed a toilet paper roll without the paper and straped the engine on there with a school folder prop then i cut out wings from cardboard they were extremely flimsy and had no airfoil on them. For my landing gear i used a hotwheels car. For a takeoff strip i took 2 nice long smooth shelves then i laid my plane on them oh my motor was powered by a 9volt battery so it would run for 30secs then die down because the motor was rated for 6volts. But anyways i would just turn it on let go and inside i was like come on fly!!! but after repeated running into the drywall walls i had poked little holes from the shaft of the motor so my parents then said ok thats enough and took my plane away. It never worked i wonder why . Id say when you first see something and you want to make something similar you find that you can get pretty creative sure it doesnt always work although i see for other people were more brilliant than me at that age but you have a happy kid what more could you ask for.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:25 AM
thomdoe

OK, so this maybe a little off topic but just what is A "wallyworld" ? thanks for any reply. Keith
Old 08-17-2007, 12:34 AM
brnyrbbl