storm launcher help for a newbie - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

storm launcher help for a newbie

Old 10-21-2006, 08:17 PM
mariposa

Default storm launcher help for a newbie

hi, just got my husband the storm launcher a week or so ago. i have been reading the forums, but since neither of us have any experience with hydros or anything of the sort, i can't figure out what you mean by flying it at 1/3 throttle for a few times?

so far, with no modifications or anything, my husband is having a blast. and it is great for tiring out a 4 year old as well! my daughter chases after it and turns it around for him to fly back and she sleeps great!

the batteries do seem to die really quickly, only comparing to RC trucks though, so who knows. we are going to buy 2 more batteries for back up so he can play for longer. i think part of the problem might be that he is so eager to fly it. has only used it 3 times, but was in the air a few times each time. no patience, though i can understand that.

are the tips for removing the prop guards for advanced users or anyone?

thanks so much for any help you can provide! i would love to help this be more fun for my hubby. he has a stressful job and this seems an awesome way for him to just relax and have fun.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:24 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi, Glad hubby is having fun with hydroplane, 1/3 throttle means only apply a third of the max amount of power to the motor, to get use to the controls, I am building the miss hydro plane at this moment, its a step up from the storm lancher, but both are a lot of fun, I would suggest that you get him a airplane flight simulator, as it flies the same as a airplane when in the air, doing this will make the hobby and learning a lot more fun,a good flight simulator is made by great planes there are others,
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/702147.asp
also you can get a little bigger lipo battery to use in the storm lancher,
but for now, use what the boat came with, and keep checking the Watt Flyer for updates to your S/Lancher, also look at E Bay, for the miss hydro Foam, look under (flying boats ) in the (toy hobby section) Chellie
Old 10-22-2006, 05:31 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

mariposa, here is some additional info, Chellie
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8379
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10716

Last edited by CHELLIE; 10-22-2006 at 05:34 AM. Reason: add info
Old 10-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

mariposa,
Welcome to the site! Hope he enjoys the storm launcher then you can look at some different planes for him.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Schoolhacker

is it worth buying? i really want one for some reason... looks great... but on the videos on youtube it keeps piviting from left to right... is it unstable that way? i am expirienced with almost all Rc plane types... but never a hydro one though... really eager to try one...

what would you give it out of 10? does it break easy? does it take off from grass? cause for all my planes, except for the big ones, all the other ones dont take off from grass... they get stuck... and oh yeah... if there is no wheel... wouldnt the friction slow it down? how many herds are the motors? it must be really powerful to make it take off from bare ground...
Old 09-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Default learn'in curve thats a might steep

Schoolhacker::There not that easy to fly, there a learn'in curve thats a might steep , Have'in said that Thier a HOOT!! I've been fly'in for years but for some reason I had a hard time with it but after a few mods (easy ones!) she flys about every day, your bub, stevecooper PS rate'in -7-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 090.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	39503   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 081.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	39504   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 736.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	39505  
Old 09-02-2007, 03:19 AM
Schoolhacker

oh... hoe much does a slow stick cost? i heard that thoughs are also quite good... the stormlauncher is quite good... i saw the other person fly it and it looks creat...
Old 09-02-2007, 01:35 PM
GT5500

Storm launchers in my opinion are hard to fly, they get tipped over by the wind and can easily get into a spiral that you can't get out of. That said they are really fun, very powerfull for a toy with brushed motors and surprisingly fast, fast enough to get away from you on your first flight! My does have some funny tendancies though it can turn smoothly but sometimes it turns really sharp and needs a massive amount of elevator to stop it tip stalling. I did have a dry solder joint on one motor so this could be the cause of the problem. The hardest thing is trimming because the sliders move to far and you can go from too much elevator to terra firma in about 1/2 a second! trimming the rudder (steering) is hard too because if its out by much the plane won't turn the other way at all. Take off the horizontal that goes between the vertical fins and remove the prop guards. My only dislike is the battery life which is short at best, and I can't seem to get replacement batteries without buying another charger.