Parkzone J-3 Vs. Hobbyzone Super Cub - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Parkzone J-3 Vs. Hobbyzone Super Cub

Old 06-19-2007, 10:15 PM
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

Default Parkzone J-3 Vs. Hobbyzone Super Cub

Hey everyone!
Sorry if this has been asked before but a search didn't turn up any side by side comparisons. Of the 2 planes in the title, which is better? I haven't flown a R/C plane in 15 years and want to pick up an electric so I can fly without the headache and mess of nitro. Since it's been sooo long that I haven't flown I would like to start with a fairly easy to fly electric but prefer one with decent power. I have read about both and see that the HZ Super Cub uses a larger motor than the J-3 but also the J-3 is a bit smaller so I'm not sure if the "power" between the 2 would be comparable or not. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

*I do like the original Piper yellow over the white
Old 06-19-2007, 10:26 PM
simibill
General Factotum

I think because the Super Cub is a bit bigger that it is a better flyer. It can stand a bit of wind.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Hey Barney,

I've had the J3 for about a year and a half now and it's a fun little plane. I've flown my neighbor's Super Cub several times and without a doubt, if I were starting over, I would choose the Super Cub hands down. It's bigger, floats better, has more power and a steerable tail wheel. The J3 flys good but you really need to bring it in under a little power for a really smooth landing. It also has a bad tendancy to ground loop. I've been meaning to add a steerable tailwheel to my J3 but haven't gotten around to it yet. I also think the J3 is a little underpowered. I put a Venom brushed motor in mine and it helped a lot over the stock motor but still not as good as the SC.

You could always paint the SC Yellow.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:41 PM
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

Thanks Guys! As it stands right now, I think I see a SC in my near future
Old 06-20-2007, 12:19 AM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Go with the Super Cub Barney! Can;t beat the steerable tailwheel! Thats what sold me on it!

It's a great starter plane!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:44 AM
Short Circuit

Hi Barney
I am a newbie to flying and I did alot of research and reading before chosing a SuperCub.
I had no prior flying experience and learned to fly from what I read on this site and a bit of time on the FMS flight simulator.
Ya can't go wrong with this plane.

Mark
Old 06-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Hey Barney don't you have a computer radio?

I thought you did. If ya do you need to think something ARF instead of the Super Cub.

I get soooo much interference with mine. Sometimes it has a mind of it's own.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

I have the Super Cub and I love it. If you're just getting in or just returning, it's a great choice.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:59 PM
bassplayinDude

Originally Posted by Short Circuit View Post
Hi Barney
I am a newbie to flying and I did alot of research and reading before chosing a SuperCub.
I had no prior flying experience and learned to fly from what I read on this site and a bit of time on the FMS flight simulator.
Ya can't go wrong with this plane.

Mark
Totally agree here. I didn't even have any sim experience before I maidened my Super Cub and went home with a plane that was still able to fly.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Leo L

Barney,

Surprisingly, a manufacturer, Horizon Hobby, actually listened to their customers and acted upon their ciomments.

The J3Cub was first introduced about four years ago. It was specifically intended for INTERMADIATE flyers, and although its a very nice plane, it has soome faults that need to be addressed to make it into an enjoyable flight experience. Basically, it needs the front end reinforced to minimize damage during those not too perfect landings; prop replaced with a high pitch prop for better take-offs and cruising; tail wheel added to stop ground loops; and a more powerful motor to give it better performance. Horizon Hobby, the parent company of ParkZone and HobbyZone, made all of the corrections, made the plane a little bigger, and made it easier to fly so that beginners could fly it as well. They call it the SuperCub, and its absolutely the best beginner plane available today. But, it has better performance than the J3, even with the J3 modifications, so its better for intermediate flyers as well. The only drawback to the SuperCub is the ACT. DO NOT USE IT!!! Tape over the bottom sensor and you'll have a great plane.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:37 PM
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

Thanks everyone for your replies and knowledge. I think that I will get a Super Cub to help refresh my flying and landings. It has been so long that I don't want to start with an expensive plane and the SC fits the bill nicely. A couple questions... Would I be able to upgrade the TX/RX with my DX7 if I wanted? Also, would it be possible to add ailerons or would it be too much trouble? Finally, what is the biggest LiPo that can be used in the SC? Thanks again guys!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

Great choice.
Answers... Yes, but you'd need a ESC too, as the RX in the Super Cub is packaged with the ESC.
Yes, you can add ailerons. Here's a link.
I wouldn't know, I haven't upgraded my SC to lipo yet.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:36 PM
bassplayinDude

From what I've read, you'll have to replace the servos as well. The servos are special 5 pin types that rely on the computer built into the receiver in a way that normal servos don't.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:40 PM
brnyrbbl