Wind!! Not Foamie compatible :( - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Wind!! Not Foamie compatible :(

Old 08-21-2007, 01:59 AM
egens1

Default Wind!! Not Foamie compatible :(

This sucks!! I think the wind was like 5MPH. I took my flatout foamie for a little flight. Since the beginning of takeoff, it started acting weird. Whenever I try to pull up, it automatically tried to make a loop. Can this be because there is no airfoil on the wing?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
Let's see, fivemph breeze... That shouldn't be enough to really bother even a flat out. Where we fly folks fly those in more wind than that all the time. I doubt that's the issue (unless you really screwed up the decolage).
How many of these have you flown? How much air time do you have?
I ask because this sounds a lot more like overcontroling those big surfaces than anything else. What are the throws? Are you using expo? How much expo are you using?

A flat plate wing can be more sensitive to angle of attack than an airfoiled one, but not by much. Unless that is, you sanded it to a sharp point. Any airfoil with a sharp pointed leading edge will tend to jump a bit in pitch. But a stock flatout won't have that so it shouldn't be the trouble.
Sorry I can't be of more help, if you can answer these questions I may be able to offer you some that would be of more use.
RobII
Old 08-21-2007, 06:39 PM
danny.act

If it's a 3D foamie, Did You lowered your rates (servo throws) for normal flying?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default I love the wind

I grab a foamie, grab a stick build, no difference, what ever is ready to get some air time, that's what gets stick time that day, absolutely no difference between the two at all, in fact, foam tends to be a little heavier when everything is said and done which is better in the wind.

It sounds like your COG may also have some problems, when I set one of my p40's for 3d style, the COG is way back, it's alot of fun in the wind having it bat the plane around, really keeps me on my toes, if I want to just fly normally, I'll add some nose weight and ignore the wind all together. I take off and land which ever direction I please, but I know how to fly RC pretty well so it doesn't bother me at all, I do prefer to land into the wind if I have a choice though.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:50 AM
egens1

expo at 60%. I am using Hitec Optic 6. That is same for aileron, rudder and elevator.

About flying 3D, OI had a hobby lobby yak 55 which I crashed into pieces after 20 min of fly when trying to land. A gust of wind suddenly took the plane to the ground.

Then I bought maverick 2 from some site. It flies very good. The only issue was the wind. I think I was about 200 ft when wind tried to flip it multiple times. Well I hope that was the wind.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by egens1 View Post
expo at 60%. I am using Hitec Optic 6. That is same for aileron, rudder and elevator.

About flying 3D, OI had a hobby lobby yak 55 which I crashed into pieces after 20 min of fly when trying to land. A gust of wind suddenly took the plane to the ground.

Then I bought maverick 2 from some site. It flies very good. The only issue was the wind. I think I was about 200 ft when wind tried to flip it multiple times. Well I hope that was the wind.
Hi Egens1 where is the CG at on the mavrick 2 it should be 1" behind the front leading edge of the main wing, you can make a balancer to check it with, by using a piece of 2x6" and 2 pencils, drill 2 holes in the wood to fit the pencils about 4" apart, and lay the plane on the pencils, at 1" behind the leading edge of the main wing, it should balance there, I have flown my Mavrick 2 in 15mph winds, with little problems, just land into the wind with power on, check your throws, to make sure that your not over controling it, about 1/2" up and 1/2" down, same with the rudder, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
If you're really flying in five mph winds then they shouldn't "flip the model multiple times". Either you have *way* too much throw on your surfaces, or you have your c/g *way* too far aft, or the breeze is much higher than five mph, or you could be getting radio glitches (test that with range checks.). Or some combination of the above, I'd figure on the first two in combination, or the latter, prolly anyway.
I've buit quite a few of those HL Yaks (for combat) and flew them in winds up to twelve mph with no trouble at all. More than that and I hit the slope with gliders...
The Maverick is at least as wind resistant as the Yak, so I really doubt it's wind.
RobII