What would you like to see built? - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

What would you like to see built?

Old 08-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I've got to say that is probably the most realistic looking rc plane I've ever seen. Every time I see it, I'm amazed all over again.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:41 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I've got to say that is probably the most realistic looking rc plane I've ever seen. Every time I see it, I'm amazed all over again.

Yeah boy it sure is awesome! They are the same ones that make my C-130 but it isn't nearly that nice!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:50 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Speaking of C-130's, who would be flying one in civilian colors?

One landed at the airport near my work, and then saw it as it took off.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Ohh a bunch of companies...

http://www.spectrumwd.com/c130/civ.htm
Old 08-27-2007, 02:04 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Ahhh. I was surprised to see it.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:06 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Most of those are old. I'm surprised that one was seen in the States. most of them were overseas too.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:09 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

Bill thanks for sharing that link. That is not a RC plane but of a work of art. I would be scraed to fly that thing around, scared I'd plant it and grow a toothpick tree from it.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:11 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

You're welcome Harry. It is a work of art. The guy that flies it is a member here and at rcgroups... bomberfan
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 AM
Geoffrito

Well, if we're sticking to the topic at all, I think a ducted fan Gloster Meteor, Me262, lockheed shooting star, or any early jet would be pretty cool
Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Welcome to WF Geoffrito.. I wouldn't mind seeing a shooting star too! Rreally cool plane.

We mostly stay on topic here... oh who am I kidding we stray like crazy but that's haldf the fun! We need someone to steer us back on course every now and then!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:36 AM
Geoffrito

lol, thanks. Yeah, the shooting star is a pretty cool plane. I've wanted to make one (or a 262) for aaaggesss now...
Old 08-27-2007, 04:42 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

Welcome to =WF= Geoff. Bills right we try very hard to stay on topic but man its to easy to get off (No jokes guys). All I have to say is that I hope you have a good sense of humor, cause your gonna need it here.
Okay getting semi-back on topic. I think I may go with the Typhoon. Now comes the size part. I love BIG planes, and would like to go big on this one. I'm thinking about a 6 footer all foam built up wing.
Any input?
Major problem is I'm not a member of a club...YET. So I will have to join one and the AMA first before I fly it. As I really don't want to fly it at some public place for safety reasons.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:47 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Originally Posted by Water Boy View Post
Welcome to =WF= Geoff. Bills right we try very hard to stay on topic but man its to easy to get off (No jokes guys). All I have to say is that I hope you have a good sense of humor, cause your gonna need it here.
Okay getting semi-back on topic. I think I may go with the Typhoon. Now comes the size part. I love BIG planes, and would like to go big on this one. I'm thinking about a 6 footer all foam built up wing.
Any input?
Major problem is I'm not a member of a club...YET. So I will have to join one and the AMA first before I fly it. As I really don't want to fly it at some public place for safety reasons.
Are you an AMA member?.....I bet there are quite a few clubs in your area....I pretty much only fly at the club field here, but it's only a few miles away.....The social environment is 1/2 of the fun...I actually don't like to fly much by myself....And the older guys are really good for build tips etc...
Old 08-27-2007, 04:51 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

Any input?
are you thinking sheeted foam for the wing? I know I am!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:56 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Should have read your post more carefully....hehehe

If you need help findng a club look here:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Old 08-27-2007, 04:57 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy View Post
Are you an AMA member?.....I bet there are quite a few clubs in your area....I pretty much only fly at the club field here, but it's only a few miles away.....The social environment is 1/2 of the fun...I actually don't like to fly much by myself....And the older guys are really good for build tips etc...
No not an AMA member yet. I mostly fly at small fields with no one around. Only my cousin and myself flying. Hes the one who got me into flying. But he's not the best pilot.... I don't mean to brag but my flying skills have surpassed him greatly. There is a field close by and a guy at my LHS whom I pretty good friends with is a the president. So if I join it maybe that one. I would really like to join a all Electric club if possible but any thing is better then being alone.
Originally Posted by xuzme720 View Post
are you thinking sheeted foam for the wing? I know I am!
Thinking ribs and sheeting in foam, just like balsa. Who knows I may give the ole' college try to glassing!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:57 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Are you thinking foam ribs and foam sheeting?

Edit....you answered before I finished typing...
Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

No not an AMA member yet. I mostly fly at small fields with no one around. Only my cousin and myself flying. Hes the one who got me into flying. But he's not the best pilot.... I don't mean to brag but my flying skills have surpassed him greatly. There is a field close by and a guy at my LHS whom I pretty good friends with is a the president. So if I join it maybe that one. I would really like to join a all Electric club if possible but any thing is better then being alone.

Thinking ribs and sheeting in foam, just like balsa. Who knows I may give the ole' college try to glassing!
actually was thinking a balsa or obechi sheeted foam core, but foam ribs/skin might work, too.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:04 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Looks like 3 in Springfield.....

ILLINI RC CLUB
3971 9 ROGER SHIPLEY
6420 S 6TH
SPRINGFIELD IL 62712
Phone: 217.741.1418

KNIGHTS OF THE AIR RC CLUB
Flying Site Details
2359 27 DAVID TAYLOR 2822 S 16TH ST
SPRINGFIELD IL 62703-4133
Phone: 217/529-0927
Visit Website

ROUTE 66 RC CLUB
Flying Site Details
4700 47 ROGER SHIPLEY
6420 S 6TH
SPRINGFIELD IL 62712
Phone: 217.741.1418
Old 08-27-2007, 05:06 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

Thanks Murph, The Knights of The Air, is the one that my LHS guy is the pres of. Think I will talk to him next time I'm in there. Plus I need to see if he got his 1/4 scale DVII maidened yet.

As far as built up wing with ribs (foam) I have done this before on a 6' wing on my AP plane and it was very strong. Need very little in ways of a spar.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:13 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

I guess I'll always think like a stick kit guy...even while I move into foamies! lol
Old 08-27-2007, 05:23 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

I've seen a few builds like that, it's pretty cool...and easier to cut the ribs out!! Seems strong....

When you go to the club expect a little nitro vs electric ribbing.....The old guys like their I.C. engines (so do I) , and only usually do electrics when their eyesight begins to fail.....
At our club if you have soloed, then you are fair game for the hecklers....hehehehe

They might even make you the Vice President and club instructor.....that's what they did to me...:<...Main duty---Making sure the lawn grass is mowed.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:29 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

I've seen a few builds like that, it's pretty cool...and easier to cut the ribs out!! Seems strong....

When you go to the club expect a little nitro vs electric ribbing.....The old guys like their I.C. engines (so do I) , and only usually do electrics when their eyesight begins to fail.....
At our club if you have soloed, then you are fair game for the hecklers....hehehehe

They might even make you the Vice President and club instructor.....that's what they did to me...:<...Main duty---Making sure the lawn grass is mowed.
Yeah it does build pretty easy, the hardest part is beveling the T.E. to get the ailerons right.

I know all to well about glow-vs-elec. I prefer elec, but love the large scale glow/gas just because of the sound and looks.

Heres another ?, what are the yearly dues for being an AMA member?
Really like the fact about the insurance as well. To bad it does'nt cover planes.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:07 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Yeah it does build pretty easy, the hardest part is beveling the T.E. to get the ailerons right.

I know all to well about glow-vs-elec. I prefer elec, but love the large scale glow/gas just because of the sound and looks.

Heres another ?, what are the yearly dues for being an AMA member?
Really like the fact about the insurance as well. To bad it does'nt cover planes.
I like I.C. engines on anything bigger than .25 size myself.......

Most of the guys at my small club fly both!!!
The nitro guys expand to include electrics, and the electric guys expand into nitro....

AMA dues...$58 per year....comes with a suscription to AMA's monthly Magazine--Model Aviation...and it's a good one!! That alone would be worth $30 a year!!
The dues covers you for personal liability for a $1million I believe...The club is covered for even more.....

And with AMA membership you can be a guest flyer at almost any Club.
Helpful if you travel and want to fly.... you can research clubs where you are going and visit them....

AMA dues = $58....peace of mind = priceless...........

P.S. I almost named one of my Springer Spaniels "Typhoon"....but settled on "Spitfire"..

Last edited by Biplane Murphy; 08-27-2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling pointed out by Wilbur the Flying Monkey
Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

The dues covers you for personal liability for a $1million I believe...The club is covered for even more.....
Careful here... It covers you under specific conditions. If I remember correctly, if you're flying at your house, and put a slow stick through a neighbor's window, you're not covered. I think you have certain locations that they cover you for.

AMA dues = $58....piece of mind = priceless...........

I beleive you meant... PEACE of mind.

Although, you... well, you might only have a piece left these days.

Quick Reply: What would you like to see built?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10343 seconds with 13 queries